Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross - Double beeping whilst driving - How do you turn it off (no warning light and it is not lane departure)

P Davies

Hi I just recently took delivery of a new Yaris Cross. 

Unfortunately, there is a random double beeping when driving on the Motorway. I am driving below the speed limit and fairly sure it's got nothing to do with speed camera locations. Also there are no warning lights on the dashboard (and it's a different sound to lane departure warning)

The Toyota dealer doesn't know what is causing it and suggested I bring it back for them to look at. As I live and work some distance away from them it's an inconvenience to take it back, (especially without getting a courtesy car).

Just checking if anyone has any suggestions, I can try first before taking it back.

Thanks

My guess would be speed/traffic light/bus lane camera warnings from the built-in sat nav. I believe that is a double beep (however, I use phone-based sat nav). You could try turning off camera warnings in settings to see if that fixes it.

Another double beep is if you exceed the cruise control set speed.  Typically you might crest a rise, the car overspeeds, beep to warn you and contrast reverses the CC set speed.  As it automatically slows the set speed assumes normal colour. 

I think it’s the real time traffic updating / alternative routes available with journey times as happened to me a lot on the motorways  🤷‍♂️

I had a burst of double beeps on my way to a CT Scan on Monday, weather was awful, I'd just joined the A55 and gone into cruise control when I was surrounded by a load of HGVs all going for broke uphill. Visibility was bad, very bad, so I cancelled cruise control and retired gracefully and cautiously back down the pack. As soon as I cancelled the beeping stopped. Like you, no visible alarms, definitely not lane change warnings, 56mph selected and pretty close to that during the beepfest. No idea what it was, but I'd like to know . . . .

Mike, when it was beeping had the car exceeded the speed you had set - you accelerating but the car overspeeding? 

Not to my knowledge, Roy, although I wasn't concentrating on my speed, more on getting out of the torrents of mucky spray generated by the HGVs. I'll try and reproduce the circumstances next time I'm up that way (hopefully without the HGVs) and come back with an update. 

If it only does it while you are radar-cruising, my money's on the Put-your-hands-back-on-the-wheel-even-though-you-already-have-your-hands-on-the-wheel alert. :laugh: 

This is interesting.  I had this experience of occasional beeping for no clear reason yesterday, whilst I spent 90 minutes crawling along the M25.  Nothing was observed on the dash, but obviously my attention was focussed on the road.  My cruise control was following the preceding lorry.  I had both hands on the wheel at all times, but perhaps the car thought otherwise.  How does it detect hands on the wheel - perhaps my grip had loosened when I was either stationary - or moving very slowly.

If one of your hands are off the steering wheel for to long as well as it beeping it displays a steering wheel on dash.

Plus blind spot Monitoring that bleeps and light on side mirror flases.

It doesn't matter if your hands are on the wheel or not, it's whether the wheel senses torque being applied to it.

It's both a very clever system and a very stupid one - It uses the same torque sensor that the power steering system uses to figure out where you're steering; However, if you're using the auto-steer, it sometimes can't tell you're holding the wheel if your steering input is close to what the auto-steer is doing, and beeps at you.

It's stupid because unless you are trying to steer and fighting the system slightly, the torque sensor can't tell you're holding it. As a test I hung my keys off it on one side so it was slightly unbalanced, and that was enough to stop it thinking the wheel had been released. :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As Cyker says, it's probably action not contact. My previous Hyundai was like that and when it complained a little nudge on the wheel was enough to sort it. After a while I got in the habit, when not much steering was happening like on straight motorway sections, of just giving it a little push occasionally to let it know I was still there.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links