Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rattling Panoramic Roof

Chriss27

On 9/8/2022 at 4:50 PM, Sohrab Gulam said:

Have you spoken to your local dealer about this and after how long did the fault appear again.

Hi Just over a month

On 9/10/2022 at 7:46 PM, JWG said:

I am taking car in this coming Thursday. Will update

Update-

Dealer took video of the noise and sent to main toyota in Derby

Now awaiting response.

Thx

Just ordered a 2023 Excel with pano roof.. Hoping I don't regret it after seeing how common this issue is! 

Mine is due to go in for a pan roof swap on the 3rd of October, will keep you guys updated 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2022 at 4:28 PM, Sohrab Gulam said:

Mine is due to go in for a pan roof swap on the 3rd of October, will keep you guys updated 

Might be worth asking the dealer to try the same field fix as Rav 4. Adding the 'paste' type grease to the rails and sliding mechanism. I've heard it works brilliantly. No need to change the roof. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 160B said:

Might be worth asking the dealer to try the same field fix as Rav 4. Adding the 'paste' type grease to the rails and sliding mechanism. I've heard it works brilliantly. No need to change the roof. 

I've dropped the car off today, I'd rather just let them fix the issue rather than putting an input which doesn't fix anything 

7 minutes ago, Sohrab Gulam said:

I've dropped the car off today, I'd rather just let them fix the issue rather than putting an input which doesn't fix anything 

In many cases in auto industry adding an lubricant or anti seize paste to the specific parts fixes the issue and no replacement is required. If the needed of lube is a fixture to the problem, even the new part fitted after some time may become problematic and start to rattle, unless the design of the part in question has been altered to stop the existing problem. Would be nice to ask them what exactly they had done to stop the noise and share with us., it will help many diy owners in the future. Thanks 

Yes, I will ask them what they have done to rectify the problem. I will keep you updated :). They have given me an Aygo X as a courtesy car. One word. Rubbish

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Sohrab Gulam said:

Yes, I will ask them what they have done to rectify the problem. I will keep you updated :). They have given me an Aygo X as a courtesy car. One word. Rubbish

Thanks. 
When my girlfriend had a new Aygo for a week from the dealer for similar like yours reasons she gave it to me to try and I really enjoyed so much 🚗👌 Little city car , manual with engine that sounds like hairdryer, loved and missed these small 3 pot machines. Aygo is very different car from Corolla. 

35 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

They have given me an Aygo X as a courtesy car. One word. Rubbish

At the end of the day the Aygo X is in a different market sector to the Corolla. Some people also think the Corolla is rubbish. At least you have a car to keep you mobile (!), so think yourself lucky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

At the end of the day the Aygo X is in a different market sector to the Corolla. Some people also think the Corolla is rubbish. At least you have a car to keep you mobile (!), so think yourself lucky.

Thanks for your input 

Yeah the Aygo probably feels painfully gutless coming from the hybrid Corolla, but it's a really fun car to drive along country roads :naughty:  :laugh: 

You just have to get used to wringing its neck as all the power is at the top end, but it seems very willing to do it!

One thing about the new Aygos that I find weird is somehow the engine idle is a lot smoother than my Mk4's - I do find it mildly soothing, being a diesel head, but it's very bizarre how much more rattly my Mk4's M15A-FXE is compared to the 1KR-??? in the new Aygos when idling stationary!!  :confused1: 

21 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Yeah the Aygo probably feels painfully gutless coming from the hybrid Corolla, but it's a really fun car to drive along country roads :naughty:  :laugh: 

You just have to get used to wringing its neck as all the power is at the top end, but it seems very willing to do it!

One thing about the new Aygos that I find weird is somehow the engine idle is a lot smoother than my Mk4's - I do find it mildly soothing, being a diesel head, but it's very bizarre how much more rattly my Mk4's M15A-FXE is compared to the 1KR-??? in the new Aygos when idling stationary!!  :confused1: 

Probably because the Aygo engine only spins a small alternator to regenerate 12v power while your Yaris have a heavy load to spin mg1, this could be the reason. These hybrid engines perhaps work very relaxed when cruising on motorway at sensible speeds and they just ticking over at around 1000rpm. 😉👌

Update: My local Toyota have called me to advise the car is ready and has been fixed. They have done the same as the Rav, lubricated the seals and this has fixed the fault. I hope this helps anyone who is having the same issues

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Sohrab Gulam said:

I had an Aygo X as a loaner while our Yaris had its first service. I was very impressed with the refinement, granted it was not quick, but it felt leagues ahead of our 2016 Pug 108. The controls just felt so much better, although in fairness at the cost, so they should.

Update

They  have ordered a part for the sunroof and awaiting 

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Update 

Im still waiting for my sunroof part they ordered 

Contacted manager yesterday to be told that they are still waiting for part with no ETA

How long do I wait before taking any further action such as seeking a replacement car

Thanks 

My rattle free panroof is being removed 10th Nov, to allow for some defective rubbers to be changed. They say they have never removed one before ....

Being done under warranty

• 1 month later...

Update

Took Car in on Monday, collect it today.

They told me that they have applied grease to the roof as per Toyota instructions. Was told that there will be some rattling but not as before which was a complete lie.

Drove off with no difference. The roof is still rattling same as before.

This is the fourth time I have taken the car in for repairs with the same problem.

Any advise what I should do next will be much appreciated, please.

Thanks

On 11/25/2022 at 7:27 PM, JWG said:

Update

Took Car in on Monday, collect it today.

They told me that they have applied grease to the roof as per Toyota instructions. Was told that there will be some rattling but not as before which was a complete lie.

Drove off with no difference. The roof is still rattling same as before.

This is the fourth time I have taken the car in for repairs with the same problem.

Any advise what I should do next will be much appreciated, please.

Thanks

Sorry to hear that JWG, the grease fixed my issue

22 hours ago, Chriss27 said:

Sorry to hear that JWG, the grease fixed my issue

Thanks, I have raised my concern with the manager who will contact Toyota

The technician may have not applied grease to the correct parts then, or the issue is different from been lack of lubricant. Back to the same place for double check their work if you ask me. 👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links