Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Injector problem 11 year old RAV4

Hybrid21

*Another* set of injectors?? :blink:

I hope they're not charging her for both sets!!!

• Like 1

Just maybe the wrong injectors orderd and they are just reordering the correct parts.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update today

The garage telephoned my daughter to say that basically they cannot fix the car,  as although they have changed the injectors the car is still not running and their diagnosis equipment is not reading a fault.

They are suggesting that the car be scrapped but my daughter would need to pay them £1600 for work done, I imagine that this is the cost of the four new injectors.

I would appreciate any comments, advice this situation, thanks 

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

Update today

The garage telephoned my daughter to say that basically they cannot fix the car,  as although they have changed the injectors the car is still not running and their diagnosis equipment is not reading a fault.

They are suggesting that the car be scrapped but my daughter would need to pay them £1600 for work done, I imagine that this is the cost of the four new injectors.

B@@dy hell!! Outrageous.

Sorry, don't have anything constructive though.

• Thanks 1

It could be anything, it needs further investigation, I would start with a mechanical inspection and compression/cylinder leak down - will it fire or cough on ether/start ya basket/easy-start

are they getting communication with the ecu

worst way sell the injectors and scrap it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

Update today

That sounds a bit OTT frankly. To my way of thinking if they’ve undertaken a job they either have to complete it or come to some agreement about the incurred. If the car is genuinely beyond repair then don’t pay and leave the car with them as payment.

• Thanks 1

I wish I could fail to do my job properly and still get paid for it! :laugh: 

I feel for you both tho'. Is similar to the situation my Toyota dealer put me in - Misdiagnosis leading to replacement of expensive parts that didn't fix the problem and in fact made it worse...

I don't know what the consumer rights are in this situation, but it doesn't feel right to pay full whack when they misdiagnosed the problem in the first place.

They should have outsourced the job to a competent diagnostic technician to find the actual fault, instead of guessing, then charge you for the fix.

There's a guy called Diagnose Dan who's a german mechanic on YouTube who often gets jobs from garages that are stumped, but sadly I don't think he does work here...!

But surely there must be people like him in this country...?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They do, but not sure how much they'd be able to help. I think they'd be able to detail what rights you have at the least tho'.

• Thanks 1

Surly its up to the garage to find someone in the trade with the correct gear to read the fault codes..

After saying that they probably just add the cost to your bill.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cyker said:

They do, but not sure how much they'd be able to help. I think they'd be able to detail what rights you have at the least tho'.

Also check one of your insurance policies as you might have opted for 'legal assistance' at least you could give them a call and they might even draft you an appropriate letter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think you need a legal advice indeed. Insurance might be a good starting point, also a consideration to ask where you at this situation and can they pay for the car and get it scraped as non runner, or garage insurance should do. Garage should not ask for money imo. Maybe you can try to contact this man somehow and ask him about the case. https://youtube.com/c/BlackBeltBarrister

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/26/2022 at 8:19 PM, Hybrid21 said:

Update today

How did this end?

I have same problem on a Rav4, 2007 D-kat 177HP.

I think the car need ONLY original injectors cos i have changed 8 injectors and still not running.
I guess the dealer gave me refurbish injectors.. and i have bought a new engine for the car.

Hi Geir, still ongoing, apparently they have now got the car running, something to do with the new injectors that required a bit filing down to work 🤔

Not really 100% sure of the fix as my son in law is dealing with it and I only hear things second hand.

I think that they are coming to an agreement with the the garage now to MOT the car which is needing bits and pieces done as it's been off the road for a few months, so they can have the car back, but it'll now cost them around 3K.

Think the plan is to get it back running and MOT'd then change it for a newer car.

Just to add I think there must be a problem with these injectors,  whether it's changes in the type or coding around this age of vehicle ?

Whatever the reason an expensive process if you need to use a garage, better if you can persevere and sort it yourself 👍

• 2 months later...

I think that i have found the error on the car. It has eaten 4 more new injectors. and i messured the injector driver and found out that it gives 205V instead of 140-160V. It killed the injectors. The injector driver from Lexus does not fit even if it has the same part numbers. 

Parts from Toyota is crazy expensive  - injector 1600€ /pce - Injector driver 2800€. 

I'll never buy a Toyota again.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links