Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Very bad mileage?

tomashen

Hi all, 

Im here again for help as i finally got the hybrid auris.

I enjoy it daily.

However, mileage is Mod edit.?i think?

At full top up it said 929km range.

Now 507 + 329 left --- 836 ? When i drove about 200k it was 900km total range. What gives? I drive eco 99% of the time. When i need to floor , its out of sticky situations.

Highway i do 100km not 120km and that was about 200km total on this top up. 

IMG_20220727_174649.jpg

Nothing wrong here, more you push less km you will travel, range goes down. When you refill the car shows range expected calculated on previous drive and quantity of fuel in. Measure fuel consumption full to full is the best, dashboard fuel consumption not always represents real values. 👍

• Like 3

There is a reason why EV people call it the GoM (Guess-o-meter :laugh: )

• Haha 1

Hmmm strange. But expected mileage being shown by 100+ km over what is actual range? 
i did the full top up - meter reset and the ndrive. so weird.

i assume that the EV range isnt calculated at all into any opf that range? 

• 1 month later...

Many variables can affect range and MPG. Your range can also be affected by the external temperature. When the temperature drops, I get worse MPG because the engine runs more to keep the cabin at temp.

When it’s hot outside, the A/C works harder, which uses more energy, although that’s powered by electric, not the engine. But as the hybrid Battery drains, the engine kicks in to recharge it, which uses fuel, which reduces your range.

I find that I get best MPG around 20-21C external temp.

I check tyre pressures monthly too. That makes a big difference to MPG.

On 7/27/2022 at 9:19 PM, tomashen said:

Hmmm strange. But expected mileage being shown by 100+ km over what is actual range? 
i did the full top up - meter reset and the ndrive. so weird.

i assume that the EV range isnt calculated at all into any opf that range? 

EV range is not calculated. It’s just range based on the fuel in your tank. 

I get just under 600 miles range on a full tank.

In my photo below, 572 miles = 920 km

EBAA3C37-3FC0-440C-8D4A-042B7F39EC41.jpeg

9 hours ago, DaddyBaddy said:

I get just under 600 miles range on a full tank.

In my photo below, 572 miles = 920 km

EBAA3C37-3FC0-440C-8D4A-042B7F39EC41.jpeg

Thanks for the repolies however, i have tested my range without AC at all and with only Outside temp set so the fan barely spins inside cabin.

And no matter what, the range makes no sense. Yes i top up full tank and get 920-930km range. but even after driving ever so carefully and gentle on foot- both accel and brake, its still way less than estimated on top up.

Even so, if you say EV range doesnt get calculated just estimated, the fact that i spoecifically AIM to use the hybrid Battery so often still doesnt give me that range lmao. i dont go on motorways often , so my road limits are 80kmh signs. So i tend to even THERE use hybrid mode because it still works until 75/78kmh so i do trully use and abuse the EV mode as much as possible. Just doesnt make sense 😄

~OR are you saying that, the tank shows 920km for me, but i should be able to do 1000km on full tank because hybrid EV ?

Are you taking into account reserve fuel?

Some 6-7l (probably 7l) of reserve fuel are not counted in the range, meaning you could do 1000km or more with full tank. 

When you hit reserve, the range will be 0 km left.

It's just a rough estimate based on your driving style, no one really relies on it, and you top up when needed.

Hey fortula. Ive had other cars before but Diesel/Petrol, not EV or Hybrid. 

Theyve been pretty accurate, with 20~ ish inacuracies in the range left clocks. This is why i was weirded out by this car as its my first hybrid and any type of EV. 

If i understand correct, you mean that 6-7L is not accounted for in the range and when tank shows 0 i can still drive that 6-7L ?

Because, when topping up, displayed 920km range, and after driving some, the range drops almost double even when attempting to use EV mode like i mention, even at 75-78kmh speed.

11 hours ago, tomashen said:

but even after driving ever so carefully

Hi Tomashen,

I think if you are driving a hybrid on the motorway, you will get economy very similar to an economical petrol car. Because, that is where your power is coming from, petrol motor.

When you do driving in the town (many times stopping and going) then you will experience like a 10% reduction in consumption over a petrol car. Petrol motors are very inefficient at the acceleration from stopped.

The Toyota computer doesn't know what kind of driving you are going to do. It probably recalculates based on the last tank of fuel you burned.

Just a thought milage or Km range will go up if you dont keep resetting it.

Fuel tank range automatically resets when you fill up if you can add sufficent fuel is added to the tank.

Here one tip how to maximise efficiency in Toyota hybrids and  pretty much any car. If you imagine your journey no matter how long or short it is as one straight line separated in 3 sections A, B and C. 

A is acceleration 

B is coasting -  ( maintaining constant speed) 

C is slowing down ( stopping)

To get the most of your car you have to try to drive shortest time in A and remain the longest time in B and while in C you can prolong with regenerative braking to harvest energy to use afterwards in A and B. 

Prius people called pulse and glide technique. 👌

Thanks all! Yes i read about pulse & glide and how you explained, thats how im doing it. Just strange how the computer is so stupid from a 2015 car 😂 my older cars computers were smarter 😂😂😂😂

I guess its not bad anyway i enjoy driving this hybrid. Like a PCVR experience 

Toyota usually still have about 3 US gallons or 12 L when the fuel light is fist On on flat road.  I often go 100 Km more when it is just on if needed but I prefer to refuel at 1/4 marks.  Yes, if you drive normally (below 120 kmh), 900 km is achievable.  Range estimation is not accurate but MPG is. In Germany,  Speedometer on Auris is not accurate, about 5-10% too fast but the Odometer is accurate. VW is typically 5% too fast too. I do not know why but it depends in which country it was sold. 

yeah spedometer here is not accurate! i can go 120kmh by car spedo, but I have 2 GPS that show me im doing only 103-105kmh. 

4 minutes ago, tomashen said:

yeah spedometer here is not accurate! i can go 120kmh by car spedo, but I have 2 GPS that show me im doing only 103-105kmh. 

The same thing in USA Toyota, but it was only 3-6 % on my past 3 Toyotas there.  My 2016 is 10% off, so it is easy to adjust with my brain. Only in Austria, it match their speed sensor. Austrian speed sensor is about 10% too fast than actual speed. 

All car makes has speedo showing more than actual speed. 👍

Hehe. Had an Aygo before an doing 100 meant it was really up to 80. its insane the difference.........

Also whats the point of the "EV" button in this  auris hybrid? It  doesnt allow to be turned on most of the time anyway and when you can, if you hit gas too high it switches to petrol anyway. Weird to have that button at all. I understand power and eco they work good but in power mode, there is still very noticeable lag in the accel pedal... I was thinking to ask a garage if they can chip the engine for a little more power, i heard that this would save fuel also. Is this true?

12 minutes ago, tomashen said:

Hehe. Had an Aygo before an doing 100 meant it was really up to 80. its insane the difference.........

Also whats the point of the "EV" button in this  auris hybrid? It  doesnt allow to be turned on most of the time anyway and when you can, if you hit gas too high it switches to petrol anyway. Weird to have that button at all. I understand power and eco they work good but in power mode, there is still very noticeable lag in the accel pedal... I was thinking to ask a garage if they can chip the engine for a little more power, i heard that this would save fuel also. Is this true?

You can ask Toyota dealership to adjust the speedometer up to 5% during oil change. Don't do anything about the ECU, it will void warranty and will gets nothing useful unless you have GTR or Supra class. Make things more powerful is usually possible but not to make it more efficient. There is no better way to improve fuel effeciency besides your driving style. 

Use ECO in city, normal in motorway. These calibrate the throttle responds but not the fuel consumption. I always use Normal because ECO have very tight degradation at the end, power at the beginning, and normal are flat across the whole throttle. 

EV button is for when doing a manoeuvre to swap parking spaces or move a bit and you don't want to start the ice, to work you need to have 50% Battery and when start the car to switch off immediately heating fan after you press ev button. Its not an electric car and there is no ev range. When selecting different driving modes the car needs 2-3 seconds after selection is made then responds accordingly. You will get use to it with the time. 👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links