Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Number plate removal and plastic securing screws

Perfection

I am about to replace the front and rear number plates as it has faded and has crack lines on the writing.

However, I note that the plates are screwed using the plastic screws (not with the cap over self tapping metal screws). 

I am concerned that if I unscrew the plastic screws, the nut being will fall off. The front bumpers and the rear tail gate is a pain accessing from behind.

Could the plastic screws just screwed straight into the plastic bumper and tail gate with out a nut?

1 hour ago, Perfection said:

I am about to replace the front and rear number plates as it has faded and has crack lines on the writing.

However, I note that the plates are screwed using the plastic screws (not with the cap over self tapping metal screws). 

I am concerned that if I unscrew the plastic screws, the nut being will fall off. The front bumpers and the rear tail gate is a pain accessing from behind.

Could the plastic screws just screwed straight into the plastic bumper and tail gate with out a nut?

On our C-HR the plastic screws screw into captive nuts, ie the rear nut won’t fall off.

Thanks for all the replies. I will now have the confident of remove the screws without the fear of losing the nut. Thanks again. 

You're okay, they are nut-less :laugh: 

The trick will be getting them out intact - I changed the plate on my old Yaris Mk1 and the plastic blots were properly jammed in - Took ages of twisting it in and out to finally extract it, and one I sheared off the head and had to use pliers on the stump!

Wish they'd used a clip or pop-pins or something instead!! Or even a plate holder!

Plates fitted. I can confirm that the rear screws were screwed to threaded nut which is part of the tailgate panel. The front was screwed to self tapping clips.

I managed to remove the plastic screws without damage by applying some WD-40 when the screws were partially out. Refitted with the same process, apply some oil.

The plates were fitted to a Verso 2010. Hope this helps someone else.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links