Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reversing sensor silent

Jack Luxon

I'm new to this and very old so please be patient with me. I opted fpr the reversing sensor extra when I bought the car in 2006. It has now developed an intermittent fault which is more on than off in that only rarely do I hear the beeping, and it's quieter than I'm used to. Fortunately this inaction does not affect the results of my MOT which was successful yesterday. I'm reluctant to take it in to get it fixed as it would probably cost more than the car's worth. I should be interested to know if there is a module associated with this unit and if so where it is located so I can see if there might be a loose cable connection or whether the module itself might benefit from the application of a REME spanner? I suppose I should have mentioned in my profile that the car has automatic gearbox.

• 5 months later...

It's some time since I first posted about my problem. I have seen replies indicating there might be dirt in the sensors in the rear bumper but having had the problem go away for about a week before returning I realise I should have mentioned that I SHOULD hear a beep on selecting reverse indicating the system is working. I don't get this beep at all so the problem is nothing to do with dirt etc. Does anyone know the whereabouts of the circuit associated with this system so I can see if there might be a loose connection? I suppose there's a switch operated by selecting reverse, my reversing lights come on OK so perhaps this indicates something associated with reverse does work.

• Like 1

It may well be easier and quicker (and maybe cheaper) to invest in an aftermarket reversing sensor kit to replace the existing one. The sensors are now quite elderly and they do degrade somewhat over time. Just check the reversing light is coming on (reliably) when you select reverse before you spend any money. 

The reversing sensor option was probably dealer fit rather than factory fit. Is there an on/off switch located on the boot lining - usually left hand side - which may have been inadvertently turned off?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Corollanutter said:

It may well be easier and quicker (and maybe cheaper) to invest in an aftermarket reversing sensor kit to replace the existing one. The sensors are now quite elderly and they do degrade somewhat over time. Just check the reversing light is coming on (reliably) when you select reverse before you spend any money. 

I've clicked on 'Quote' thinking this might also mean 'Reply'. The amount of motoring I do now doesn't really justify any financial expense but I would like to know where any associated circuitry might be located so I can check it is firmly seated. When I bought the car the documentation included a booklet dealing with Toyota Parking aid TPA 400 which implies that a 'Cancellation Switch' can be added as an option. I never asked for this option and have searched for a switch previously without finding anything. Both reversing lights come on when reverse is selected but at the moment no 'beep'. Thank you for your input

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The reversing sensor option was probably dealer fit rather than factory fit. Is there an on/off switch located on the boot lining - usually left hand side - which may have been inadvertently turned off?

I've just replied to a post by Corollanutter which I think covers this, hopefully you are able to view this. I don't know if the dealer fitted this setup after it was delivered but I do recall having to take it back to have it adjusted for sensitivity or something, but it's all a long time ago. I guess there might be a potentiometer somewhere....

Thank you for your input

The installation manual for the TPA400 is here - but does aply to the Yaris. However the locations etc may be quite similar (and indicates what you need to look for). This may help you locate the unit and wiring. https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/{4F1F2CD1-9D6F-44E1-BC2C-F4FE2BF5727C}/TPA 400 AIM 000 050-1 PZ464-B0420-00.pdf

Hi jack,

I would have thought that the installation of the TPA 400 would be in line with most generic installations of parking sensors. I have posted a link below that shows the installation of rear parking sensors on a toyota corolla 2006. The video is a bit shaky but does settle down as it goes along. It shows where the module etc is located . 

It may help you to trace the wiring and connections that should mirror the TPA 400 installation. Hope this helps.👍

https://youtu.be/cNzc7cN0w0M

• Like 1

#120 Generation Corolla TPA400 installation instructions HERE

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bper said:

Hi Jack,

I would have thought that the installation of the TPA 400 would be in line with most generic installations of parking sensors. I have posted a link below that shows the installation of rear parking sensors on a toyota corolla 2006. The video is a bit shaky but does settle down as it goes along. It shows where the module etc is located . 

It may help you to trace the wiring and connections that should mirror the TPA 400 installation. Hope this helps.👍

https://youtu.be/cNzc7cN0w0M

Hi Bob,

I thought I'd already posted a reply but it doesn't seem to be there. These Forum things can be confusing for the ancient. It may be because I signed in as if I had Facebook (whatever that is) so now I've used a different route.

The you tube video is very helpful and shows me what I should be looking for and where to look. Now I know there should be a small black box with a total of 6 leads plugged into it. Hopefully I'll be able to find it so I can clean up the connections, I may even be able to find a replacement box from a scrapyard if it still fails to work. I've looked at the post suggesting the installation details for the Yaris, the box is similar and again gives me a clue as to what it looks like.

Many thanks for your help

4 hours ago, Jack Luxon said:

Hi Bob,

I thought I'd already posted a reply but it doesn't seem to be there. These Forum things can be confusing for the ancient. It may be because I signed in as if I had Facebook (whatever that is) so now I've used a different route.

The you tube video is very helpful and shows me what I should be looking for and where to look. Now I know there should be a small black box with a total of 6 leads plugged into it. Hopefully I'll be able to find it so I can clean up the connections, I may even be able to find a replacement box from a scrapyard if it still fails to work. I've looked at the post suggesting the installation details for the Yaris, the box is similar and again gives me a clue as to what it looks like.

Many thanks for your help

Hi jack, your welcome, your not ancient mate in fact I would welcome you to go to general discussions on the main forum menu and look for a post, "Toy-older." I am asking what age Toyota owners are so please go to this if you feel confortable in doing so.

You are more then welcome to ask any questions you may have with any issues you have.

The members on this forum will always try to help.👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bper said:

Hi Jack, your welcome, your not ancient mate in fact I would welcome you to go to general discussions on the main forum menu and look for a post, "Toy-older." I am asking what age Toyota owners are so please go to this if you feel confortable in doing so.

You are more then welcome to ask any questions you may have with any issues you have.

The members on this forum will always try to help.👍

Hi Bob, I'll look into this 'Toy-older' later, I suppose at 85 I qualify. But as for this little problem I have I'm somewhat confused as I've looked at a link from yourself to the Youtube video as well as what seems to be the Toyota guide link from Lee. Unfortunately the guide relies on pictures without words which seems to be normal these days and takes some fathoming out especially as my set-up is already fitted, I just want to access the ECU so I can check the plug seating. The video is easier to understand but I have a feeling that the ECU shown is not the same as the one in the Toyota guide. It sems the ECU is located quite close to the filler cap, hopefully this applies to RHD and LHD vehicles. Anyway it's blinking cold out there and I'm delaying my investigation until it warms up a bit as I seem to have managed quite well without the thing working for quite some time so a few more days waiting for better weather won't hurt. So now I'll be looking for 'Toy-older'.

• Like 1