Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris series 3 jerks when coming to a stop eg at lights

RAQ

I bought this car two weeks ago.

The judder occurs when I am say approaching lights; I slow and use the brake very carefully but as I get down to 10 or 5 mph the car jerks -as if the brakes are catching.

It feels to me - as an older driver used to old mechanical cars - that the rear brakes shoes need front edge shamfering or the callipers or pots on the front are not clean and greased andtherefore not moving smoothly.

I have complained to the garage. They had it in for some sort of check up then told me there was nothing wrong - except for worn discs - which they said wouldnt cause it.(?) They also suggested it was my driving or even my imagination (yes I was imagining the car would come smoothly to a halt - like all the other cars I've owned over 50 years!)

Can anyone make any educated guesses here?    Thank you in advance

10 minutes ago, RAQ said:

I bought this car two weeks ago.

The judder occurs when I am say approaching lights; I slow and use the brake very carefully but as I get down to 10 or 5 mph the car jerks -as if the brakes are catching.

It feels to me - as an older driver used to old mechanical cars - that the rear brakes shoes need front edge shamfering or the callipers or pots on the front are not clean and greased andtherefore not moving smoothly.

I have complained to the garage. They had it in for some sort of check up then told me there was nothing wrong - except for worn discs - which they said wouldnt cause it.(?) They also suggested it was my driving or even my imagination (yes I was imagining the car would come smoothly to a halt - like all the other cars I've owned over 50 years!)

Can anyone make any educated guesses here?    Thank you in advance

Hi Richard and welcome. 
Can you please take some photos of the brake discs pads and callipers and share here with us, we may help you with suggestions. I think you are not imagining it and likely your car will need dismantling and cleaning, lubricating procedure. Usually hybrids does suffer from rusty brakes due to the regenerative braking and reduced use of actual brakes. This is more pronounced in cars at low miles and those who are not driven often. Pictures will show us and we can confirm that afterwards. 
Regards 

Manual or auto, what engine, is it a hybrid ?

Do any Yaris have brake shoes ?

If it is a hybrid then it will just be the transition from regenerative to physical braking and completely normal.

If there is no corrosion or sticking parts in the brakes, then the garage are correct and you'll just have to accept that is the way the system works.

Pre-Mk3 ones were all rear drum unless they had the stability pack (Or whatever it was called) as an option, which added traction control and rear discs. (I've never seen one on the wild!)

Not sure if the Mk3 had them as standard but I believe all the hybrid models had rear discs as standard.

The tsport has rear discs.🙂

• Like 1

It's a late mk3 so 1.0 or 1.5 hybrid, auto or manual 1.0 had drums and the rest had discs

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, flash22 said:

It's a late mk3 so 1.0 or 1.5 hybrid, auto or manual 1.0 had drums and the rest had discs

My late (pre facelift), '14 reg, 1.3 Icon has rear drums.

The 1.3 was dropped in favour of the 1.5

A Late mk3 is second facelift 17-20, op's is a 2020

On 7/30/2022 at 2:32 PM, martswain said:

Do any Yaris have brake shoes ?

Yes, they do. Perfectly adequate because the front brakes do most of the work.

My car is still on the original shoes, hardly any wear on them. I do routinely remove the drums to lubricate the moving parts and check them. Not with oil, I must add.:whistling1: Pre face lift Mk 3 (pre basking shark).

Maintenance/repair is a completely different ball game though.:rolleyes:

Must admit I prefer drums on the rear... means you can have a proper simple handbrake! :laugh: 

Disc brakes for me, drums does not cause rust issues in a short term but when they do they do it properly and if you are about diy fixing you should be well prepared with tons of wd-40, hammer and patience. 😉

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links