Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Oil change 6 months?


Recommended Posts


Absolutely not necessary to change oil every 6 months or 5000 miles. I am sure that not even a single engine nor Toyota but all makes has ever had any issues caused by oil changes if manufacturers intervals been followed and oil was always changed on time or a bit early +/- 1000 miles window. The problems some folks has and run into it are not because of 10k miles intervals but because they neglected the other factors 12 months time or they simply extended the mileage to 15-20 or more. Modern synthetic oils can easily provide sufficient protection even past 10k miles intervals however for peace of mind and to avoid unnecessary warranty work manufacturers set intervals that are in the optimum medium between engine protection, efficiency and environmental conditions. The problem with 10k miles service is when you cover 10k miles or more in 3-4 years and you had never ever changed the oil, something typical for many car owners. 
Some exceptions when you drive the car in extreme environment or exclusively in very short town trips then it’s a good practice to reduce the oil intervals, let say 10 or 8 months and in extreme cases at 6 months or shorter mileage. I am running my car 10k miles and do a couple of oil changes per year, not only my car but previously a fleet of Priuses back in 2012 and some of these are still on the roads used daily for taxi and delivery. No issues at all. 👍

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Absolutely not necessary to change oil every 6 months or 5000 miles. I am sure that not even a single engine nor Toyota but all makes has ever had any issues caused by oil changes if manufacturers intervals been followed and oil was always changed on time or a bit early +/- 1000 miles window. The problems some folks has and run into it are not because of 10k miles intervals but because they neglected the other factors 12 months time or they simply extended the mileage to 15-20 or more. Modern synthetic oils can easily provide sufficient protection even past 10k miles intervals however for peace of mind and to avoid unnecessary warranty work manufacturers set intervals that are in the optimum medium between engine protection, efficiency and environmental conditions. The problem with 10k miles service is when you cover 10k miles or more in 3-4 years and you had never ever changed the oil, something typical for many car owners. 
Some exceptions when you drive the car in extreme environment or exclusively in very short town trips then it’s a good practice to reduce the oil intervals, let say 10 or 8 months and in extreme cases at 6 months or shorter mileage. I am running my car 10k miles and do a couple of oil changes per year, not only my car but previously a fleet of Priuses back in 2012 and some of these are still on the roads used daily for taxi and delivery. No issues at all. 👍

 

So it could be in this clip the 2 dealers were not using the correct oil like what Toyota use. AMD did say that some Toyota dealers will use anything, which is not a great start in maintaining the health of a car long term 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These self styled experts, master technicians, etc (we have no proof of their experience) are, in the majority, based in the US. These videos are obviously intended for the American market.

Toyota US have different service intervals to Europe - 6 month/5,000 mile service intervals, as opposed to 12 months/10,000 miles for the UK, and 12 months/15,000km for Europe.

All 21 of our new cars have just adhered to the manufacturer's service intervals, and the last car we had which required 6 months/6,000 mile services, including oil changes, was a Honda Concerto we bought new in 1994.

Car manufacturers have done a lot of research into their service intervals - far more than these You-tubers, etc. Adhere to the manufacturers service intervals, including oil changes, and you will be fine. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Remember the USA love there jiffy / quick lube type places & short oil change intervals. 

As long as you use the correct spec oil & a decent oil filter ( preferably a genuine one ) at the correct intervals as stated by the vehicle manufacturer for your location I wouldn't worry. 

I do low annual mileage ( around 8k per year ) so my C-HR service intervals will be based on time intervals & not mileage covered. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Going back a few years I was dead against using a main dealer for my car servicing.  I then worked for a national repair centre and saw just what went on behind the scenes.  I have since used a main dealer for all my servicing, I know there is no guarantee but I have a better chance of getting new quality parts and lubricants.  There are some great one man bands out there that you can trust but finding one is difficult while finding a cowboy is relatively easy. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That’s the main reason I prefer doing the service by myself. I use good quality aftermarket parts and lubricants where they meet or exceed the the specs of the original parts on the car or if oem found at competitive  prices I use oem Toyota parts bought specifically from official dealers, not fake. 👍

This guy knows many things and is well educated by Toyota, he also has good experience working on these cars however he is not right about everything and he adds a bit of his own opinion on the matter and in this case particularly he is not right.  
That Camry has stuck piston rings as a result of poor quality or wrong type oil been used that can’t cope with the high temperatures the engine been exposed, even earlier oil changes would have not prevent what was happened.  
Many car owners skip oil changes due to a low annual mileage and here it is where the things starts to go wrong. Every combustion engine after certain miles will start to consume a bit of oil.
My Auris hybrid for example I own since was 5 years old and 43000 miles on the clock, the car was always serviced in Toyota dealers prior to my ownership. Since then I do service it myself and I exclusively use the same oil every time Petronas Syntium 0w20, bought from reputable sellers. Oil filters mostly oem Toyota or mann. The car had never used even a drop of oil between annual oil changes ( low mileage car at the time covering between 2-5k miles per year. Since 2018 this car is my business car and I started to drive a bit more(40-50k miles per year). I keep changing the oil every 10k miles ( every 2-3 months), same oil, same filters. The car has started to consume a bit of oil at around 130000 miles and to date at 218000 miles the oil consumption between 10k change intervals remains within the normal acceptable 0.5-1ltr per 10k miles. Here how my oil look when had been changed and later after 5800 miles traveled, not bad at all imo 👍

2149CC0F-3540-4D4E-8047-5980B2AF1364.jpeg

2B2D157C-828F-4DE0-B8E7-FBAC460A07E0.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/30/2022 at 7:46 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

These self styled experts, master technicians, etc (we have no proof of their experience) are, in the majority, based in the US. These videos are obviously intended for the American market.

Toyota US have different service intervals to Europe - 6 month/5,000 mile service intervals, as opposed to 12 months/10,000 miles for the UK, and 12 months/15,000km for Europe.

All 21 of our new cars have just adhered to the manufacturer's service intervals, and the last car we had which required 6 months/6,000 mile services, including oil changes, was a Honda Concerto we bought new in 1994.

Car manufacturers have done a lot of research into their service intervals - far more than these You-tubers, etc. Adhere to the manufacturers service intervals, including oil changes, and you will be fine. 

So its not manufacturers service intervals you have adhered to but those decided upon by the respective importers.

Who is to say that the US servicing regime is wrong and ours or mainland Europe right?

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would suggest that Toyota decide the service intervals for the respective regional markets - eg Asia, America, Europe.

Given market and climate conditions, etc presumably the Toyota US service intervals are right for the US market, and Toyota Europe service intervals (incl the UK) are right for the European market.

Toyota aren't alone in having different service intervals for the US and European markets.

For example Honda and Mazda service intervals in the US are 6 months/7,500 miles - UK 12 months/12,500 miles. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember on the Ford Fiesta Mk3 we owned from new, it started out with 6 monthly oil changes recommended but after a few years that changed to 12 months that was at main dealers. I put it down to improved oil tech/specs. Had the other side of the coin as we owned few Peugeot diesel campervans which recommended 2 yearly oil changes, which was stretching it a bit too far for me, I always stuck to the every 12 months oil changes, our mileage was always under limit anyway. 

Agree about buying decent quality oil/filters, when I do ours happy to spend bit more quality products and saving money over dealer prices anyways and I know what oil my engines are using. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

I would suggest that Toyota decide the service intervals for the respective regional markets - eg Asia, America, Europe.

Given market and climate conditions, etc presumably the Toyota US service intervals are right for the US market, and Toyota Europe service intervals (incl the UK) are right for the European market.

Toyota aren't alone in having different service intervals for the US and European markets.

For example Honda and Mazda service intervals in the US are 6 months/7,500 miles - UK 12 months/12,500 miles. 

I would suggest that the regional importers have quite a lot of input into this based on what they think they can get away with and what the competition is doing after all there isn't that much difference between say a US Corolla Hybrid and a UK one and the roads they are driven on etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, davidif said:

there isn't that much difference between say a US Corolla Hybrid and a UK one and the roads they are driven on etc.

There are many differences - there not even built in the same factory.

Corolla for US market which is built in Mississippi is vastly different to a Corolla built in UK or Turkey for the European market.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if it's partly because they tend to use worse oil in the USA? I know when we were switching to 0w20 they were still using 10w40 and 5w30 for most of their vehicles, and now I'm on 0w8! Semi-synth is more common over there, and even straight mineral oil is still used in some cars, whereas we tend to be fully synth across the board.

Also they do, on average, to drive their cars longer and harder than we do, since in some places, "popping down to the shops" is a 2 hours drive :laugh: (And a quarter of that is navigating the gigantic the car parks :laugh: )

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/31/2022 at 10:40 AM, TonyHSD said:

That’s the main reason I prefer doing the service by myself. I use good quality aftermarket parts and lubricants where they meet or exceed the the specs of the original parts on the car or if oem found at competitive  prices I use oem Toyota parts bought specifically from official dealers, not fake. 👍

This guy knows many things and is well educated by Toyota, he also has good experience working on these cars however he is not right about everything and he adds a bit of his own opinion on the matter and in this case particularly he is not right.  
That Camry has stuck piston rings as a result of poor quality or wrong type oil been used that can’t cope with the high temperatures the engine been exposed, even earlier oil changes would have not prevent what was happened.  
Many car owners skip oil changes due to a low annual mileage and here it is where the things starts to go wrong. Every combustion engine after certain miles will start to consume a bit of oil.
My Auris hybrid for example I own since was 5 years old and 43000 miles on the clock, the car was always serviced in Toyota dealers prior to my ownership. Since then I do service it myself and I exclusively use the same oil every time Petronas Syntium 0w20, bought from reputable sellers. Oil filters mostly oem Toyota or Mann. The car had never used even a drop of oil between annual oil changes ( low mileage car at the time covering between 2-5k miles per year. Since 2018 this car is my business car and I started to drive a bit more(40-50k miles per year). I keep changing the oil every 10k miles ( every 2-3 months), same oil, same filters. The car has started to consume a bit of oil at around 130000 miles and to date at 218000 miles the oil consumption between 10k change intervals remains within the normal acceptable 0.5-1ltr per 10k miles. Here how my oil look when had been changed and later after 5800 miles traveled, not bad at all imo 👍

2149CC0F-3540-4D4E-8047-5980B2AF1364.jpeg

2B2D157C-828F-4DE0-B8E7-FBAC460A07E0.jpeg

Not even my diesel looks that clean...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I assume you mean the fuel colour and not the oil... my D4D's oil would be black after 2 weeks :laugh: 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can remember when first oil change was at 500 miles for a new car.

That was a pain.

Diesel oil was always jet black just after a oil change and thats before EGR valves came on to cars.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I watch a lot of his videos and I do recall when he was a Toyota employee he said they only use top quality oil now he’s saying it’s the cheapest they can get now he’s a one man band 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Eddiefh said:

I watch a lot of his videos and I do recall when he was a Toyota employee he said they only use top quality oil now he’s saying it’s the cheapest they can get now he’s a one man band 

i think he meant that some dealers will use whatever is on offer, and that would be normal in the UK. most customers aren't even interested, they don't ask what oil is being used and if that's the case if the dealer can get away with it, they will. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't know what happens in the states but can bet you most main dealers will have a deal with one of the major suppliers. Not done because they want good oil (although it is good oil from the big boys) but because of the oil deal on offer. Oil companies offer great perks for garages, from rebates on quantity purchased, to money for new ramps and equipment. It is rarely down to the cost of the product alone

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Cyker said:

I assume you mean the fuel colour and not the oil... my D4D's oil would be black after 2 weeks :laugh: 

Here the colour after 9200 miles traveled, just got the picture today. I will change the oil soon. I poured an additive 4000 miles ago which has darker colour but overall the engine oil looks really good and clean. 👌

64CA763B-B787-4FA0-B5ED-F975A0652DB3.jpeg

E4961FA3-FF11-474F-AB65-6034E968938A.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Petrol engine car oil is always a lot cleaner.

I can remember bean told a scrapyard was servicing cars and just using oil from reclamed scraped cars and any oil went in the same drum.

The guy that told me this story changed his oil again straight away.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

hi came across this interesting video .he even said that toyota dealers might put in cheap oil into your car also. what you guys recon apart from toyota oil is the best to get as i heard Gem oil is pure junk. im wondering for a 2.0 d4d 1adftv engine .

i know this video is for the toyota petrol engines 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I expect them to buy oil in bulk from one of the main oil suppliers.

If dealer using other oil who going to pick up the repair bill as MFG do check up on why parts fail!!.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi 2009Joe. It’s been posted in a few threads on the forum already. Have a read here

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership