Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil change 6 months?

fourbanks

I didn't go as far as an engine strip, but with a petrol Merc at over 150k it was using a couple of pints per thousand.  As oil was added the distance to service increased and eventually 19,000 miles. 

There were other problems such as high mpg for a petrol Merc and rust. 

The 5k advice is sound but before doing this, if you plan on changing in under 3 years you will not increase the resale value. 

What I used to do though was buy my own oil for the garage to use. 

• Like 1

Similar topics merged

On 8/1/2022 at 12:04 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

I would suggest that Toyota decide the service intervals for the respective regional markets - eg Asia, America, Europe.

Given market and climate conditions, etc presumably the Toyota US service intervals are right for the US market, a

Exactly.  Huge continent, sub Arctic to arid desert, everything in between and sometimes day to day.  

I had a Fiesta diesel once, service and oil change every 6,000 miles which meant every 3 months. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Exactly.  Huge continent, sub Arctic to arid desert, everything in between and sometimes day to day.  

I had a Fiesta diesel once, service and oil change every 6,000 miles which meant every 3 months. 

I was put off buying a lot of cars during the time I was working and commuting, 6,000 mile oil changes would mean one every other month most months.

• Like 1

I got the Fiesta, about a year old with 40k and binned it when I stopped the long commute and 180k on the clock.  When it went for it's MOT it was a toss up whether it would pass the emissions test or blow up on the process of 'clearing the tubes first. 

It's main purpose was low cost, 55 mpg and managing a 55 miles journey time in 70 minutes. 

• Haha 1

If you are looking to run the vehicle to many hundreds of thousands of miles I think he is right. It is like the main dealers do not change the gearbox oil in the hybrids. Having seen the state of the gearbox oil at only 60k I can only say changing it is very wise indeed

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

The oil is very clean and no need to change it at 5000 miles just change it at 10000 miles or yearly.

I can remember when cars were run in and first service was 1000 miles thats long gone now.

For oil use a good brand no cheap stuff.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

For oil use a good brand no cheap stuff.

I use cheap stuff that has the same spec as a good brand. 

I once used cheap oil then engine developed a knocking sound when hot and at standstill.

Reverted back to a good well known brand and the problem disappeared.

Yes the oil was correct specifcation.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links