Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Judder after acceleration Aygo 2019

Odo13tz

Hey everyone!

I searched around for a solution, but apparently I have a snowflake of a car! (it being while and all) 😃

My issue is this: no matter if the car is cold or warm, when I accelerate (neutral, or in gear) everything is fine, but when it drops in RPM between 1500-1000 I have a judder that shakes the whole car.

Sometimes I have a rough iddle as well, but not all the time (if I touch the acceleration just a bit, the car is smooth as butter).

What I have done: I used injector cleaners, spark plugs and thrashed the schnitzel out of it on the motorway.

The car is smooth all the time, apart from the judder and the occasional rough iddle.

Please give me some extra ideas where to look.

PS. No codes have been registered 

A 2019 it should be under warrantee still (if serviced)

if you have a scan tool, look at the misfire counters

how long have you had the car ? the 3 cylinder 1KRFE isnt the smoothest of engines

edit. If it hasn't been serviced correctly, the OCV for the vvti can stick/fail, also the OCV filter can clog - If you do a WOT snap and the engine falls on its face or stalls this is the likely cause check the resistance of the OCV

1209832580_1krvvtivalve1.thumb.jpg.9acf8ae20ac775cc59cdd80c3f06e445.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will have a look at this. They're not too expensive to replace them both.

I had the car for a week now. No warranty on it as it was a second hand. (Bought it with all the quirks because of the price).

From my understanding it was a company car previously and all the servicing has been done by Toyota. 

That aside, I will change the oil and filters again, just to be sure. As I understand, it needs 0-w16? About 3l... Right?

The car only has 20k miles but it has been sitting for a while.

The warranty should still be intact as it follows the car and I think that one should have a 5 year warranty on it still as they only cut it to 3 years last year when they introduced the Relax service warranty scheme; The tricky part will be proving that it has been serviced within warranty guidelines to still qualify!

• Thanks 1

Give Toyota customer services a call to find out the warranty status you can also check the status on MyT

oil 0w20 Toyota spec, at that mileage stick with the 0w20 rather than the optional 5w30

re. the OCV and filter, these can be removed and cleaned if its been sat for more than 6 months the fuel has gone bad, E10 fuel attracts water and the car will run rough - drain the tank and put fresh in

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Give Toyota customer services a call to find out the warranty status you can also check the status on MyT

oil 0w20 Toyota spec, at that mileage stick with the 0w20 rather than the optional 5w30

re. the OCV and filter, these can be removed and cleaned if its been sat for more than 6 months the fuel has gone bad, E10 fuel attracts water and the car will run rough - drain the tank and put fresh in

I will do the oil next week and clean the filter and OCV. Can I use good 'ol brake cleaner or is there something that you recommend?

There wasn't too much petrol in it to begin with and it was only sat for 3 months or so. 

Fill the tank, water sinks in fuel so tends to get sucked up

brake cleaner or carb cleaner or whatever they call it now (MAF cleaner ??)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Fill the tank, water sinks in fuel so tends to get sucked up

brake cleaner or carb cleaner or whatever they call it now (MAF cleaner ??)

Thank you very much for your help! Will come back with updates!

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 7:17 PM, flash22 said:

On 7/31/2022 at 9:32 PM, Odo13tz said:

Finally found the OCV and the filter. Both look impeccable! - no change.

I checked the coils and I have a strong spark on them as well.

No fault codes still 🤔

I am going to put some 0w-20 Mobil 1 and change the oil filter today.

I will come back with updates.

On 7/31/2022 at 4:13 PM, Odo13tz said:

As I understand, it needs 0-w16?

Yes - a change was made for Aygos built in 2019 from 0W-20 to 0W-16.

A 2019 Aygo should still be within the 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty, unless the car has an incomplete service history, has been classified as a write off, or similar.

Can you post a video of the engine running ?

Check the voltage of the Battery with the car off and with it running, then at 2000-2500 rpm

12 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Yes - a change was made for Aygos built in 2019 from 0W-20 to 0W-16.

A 2019 Aygo should still be within the 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty, unless the car has an incomplete service history, has been classified as a write off, or similar.

It has incomplete history. It's not an issue as it's the most simple engine I've ever worked around 😃 

19 hours ago, flash22 said:

Can you post a video of the engine running ?

Check the voltage of the battery with the car off and with it running, then at 2000-2500 rpm

The vibration/judder makes the radiator fan mount to rattle. I will fix that this week. But, as you can see from the video, it's a vibration between 1300-1000rpm only when dropping. It wouldn't bother me otherwise, but it does the same thing when shifting at a light or reversing...

That's really odd, does it rev to red line ? Remove the oil cap and see if it still does it

Maybe the throttle body needs a clean, if it has one? It could be the throttle plate hanging up on the ring of dirt that tends to build up in them as it closes. As flash22 has mentioned, three cylinder engines are not the smoothest, but that behaviour seems a little strange.

19 minutes ago, flash22 said:

That's really odd, does it rev to red line ? Remove the oil cap and see if it still does it

It goes to the redline with no issues

6 minutes ago, paul9 said:

Maybe the throttle boddy needs a clean, if it has one? It could be the throttle plate hanging up on the ring of dirt that tends to build up in them as it closes. As flash22 has mentioned, three cylinder engines are not the smoothest, but that behaviour seems a little strange.

I cleaned it! When idling normally I have no vibrations (which should be affected my the butterfly being open), it's only between the se revs and only when dropping. I'm slowly loosing hope 😭😭

My next suspect would be a small vacuum leak somewhere. Is there a throttle body reset/relearn procedure for this engine? If other Aygos have this behaviour, then maybe it is prgrammed into the ECU to prevent stalls upon dropping the revs?

1 hour ago, paul9 said:

My next suspect would be a small vacuum leak somewhere. Is there a throttle body reset/relearn procedure for this engine? If other Aygos have this behaviour, then maybe it is prgrammed into the ECU to prevent stalls upon dropping the revs?

I was thinking about a vacuum leak, but it's a right pain to discover it... Any pointers? 😁

For vacuum leaks, you can sometimes find them by squirting brake cleaner around the vacuum hoses and joints, listening for the engine to change speed. My ear is not usually sensitive enough to hear the speed change, personally. Flash, are you thinking a blocked PCV valve could be the cause?

30 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Does it do it with the oil cap removed ??

I can rev it up to 7k with the oil cap removed

2 hours ago, paul9 said:

For vacuum leaks, you can sometimes find them by squirting brake cleaner around the vacuum hoses and joints, listening for the engine to change speed. My ear is not usually sensitive enough to hear the speed change, personally. Flash, are you thinking a blocked PCV valve could be the cause?

I will have a look at the PCV valve tomorrow. Hopefully it will be easier to find than the OCV filter 🙄 Toyota recommends changing the PCV every 20k miles?.... or so I read somewhere...

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Does the burble go, or is it still there ?

Nope. Still there... taunting me 😃

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links