Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where has it gone!?

iand12

I'm the proud owner of a Prius plus and have been for nearly three years. Normally I change my car every three years, but this wont be happening now, thanks to Toyota! I've owned loads of different makes over the years, but a few years ago I was converted to Toyota by buying (reluctantly at first) a C-HR, which blew me away completely. My next car was a Prius plus, and although I think the person who designed the heater controls should be publicly flogged, the car has won me over completely. Anyway back to my moan (sorry). I asked about buying a new Prius plus in the New year only to be told that it's not being made any more! Yes, Toyota have lots of great cars, but I want another Prius plus (stamping feet and having a tantrum now!) Can anyone please tell me why Toyota have had a brain fade and stopped making this car? I guess the upside is that I save money on buying a new model and my car is still running as good as new. Thanks guys, I look forward to your feed back.

As an after thought, could we start a 'Save the Prius plus' group?

Blame Westminster or Holyrood policies, perhaps? Hybrids banned by 2035?

But I agree the Prius, I have a phv, is brilliant. 

P.s. you go to Jim's Garage in Elgin?

• Like 1

Sales volumes of the Prius/Prius Plus in Europe dropped off a cliff in the last couple of years - so lack of demand.

People tend now to go for SUVs rather than MPVs. Manufacturers are turning more to van based MPVs  - Stellantis, VW, Ford, Toyota, etc.

• Like 3

Toyota Europe Prius/Prius Plus 2021 sales compared to other Toyota models:

Camry - 59,246 (incl hybrid 10,121)

Corolla hatchback & Touring Sport - 127,882 (incl hybrid 122,869)

Corolla saloon - 80,186 (incl hybrid 43,942)

Prius - 1,597

Prius Plug-in - 1,462.

Prius Plus - 3,130

--------------------------------------

European Prius Plus sales in 2020 and 2019 were 10,254 and 13,356 respectively.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, iand12 said:

I'm the proud owner of a Prius plus and have been for nearly three years. Normally I change my car every three years, but this wont be happening now, thanks to Toyota! I've owned loads of different makes over the years, but a few years ago I was converted to Toyota by buying (reluctantly at first) a C-HR, which blew me away completely. My next car was a Prius plus, and although I think the person who designed the heater controls should be publicly flogged, the car has won me over completely. Anyway back to my moan (sorry). I asked about buying a new Prius plus in the New year only to be told that it's not being made any more! Yes, Toyota have lots of great cars, but I want another Prius plus (stamping feet and having a tantrum now!) Can anyone please tell me why Toyota have had a brain fade and stopped making this car? I guess the upside is that I save money on buying a new model and my car is still running as good as new. Thanks guys, I look forward to your feed back.

Hi Ian, yes I was also disappointed but as Frosty reported, sales of the Prius have literally dropped off a cliff. It’s not popular any more & no manufacturer is going to make any car model that’s not selling.

I guess like you I’m going to hold onto my car for a lot longer. My Prius plus is due for its 60,000 mile service this month & I’ve only done about 4000 miles since the last service. At 44,000 total miles, I guess I’ve got plenty of miles left in my Prius especially when I read of people covering 300,000 miles.

I don’t think your campaign to keep the Prius going will have any effect on the decision Toyota have taken. I’m only too grateful that I had the opportunity to own a couple of these brilliant cars, the original purpose built hybrid car & during its time one of the most reliable & economical cars ever produced!

• Like 2

The logical answer is a Camry Hybrid - the local cabbies seem to like them

even the small cars are large these days

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

But the Camry has also been discontinued in the UK due to low sales .....

• Like 1

Corolla estate is the closest replacement and although it’s a nice car it’s not as nicer as Prius plus was., not as practical too and a bit smaller. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

even the small cars are large these days

You're not wrong... it's ridiculous how big the new yaris looks compared to the old ones (Yet has less space inside! Why is this still a trend?!)

• Like 2

even the mk3 yaris parked beside a 89 Sierra, the yaris looks big

Perhaps styling and safety  plus a marketing thing, pushing buyers going class above or perhaps estate or suv, higher profits. The difference between my Auris 2010 and Corolla hatchback 2020 inside and particularly leg room and head room is huge , it’s like two completely different segment cars. And as cykers says boots are large but passengers space cramped., and the doors does not open wide. 👎

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iand12 said:

a very high mileage car in one of the best cars ever made 

21 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Perhaps styling and safety  plus a marketing thing, pushing buyers going class above or perhaps estate or suv, higher profits. The difference between my Auris 2010 and Corolla hatchback 2020 inside and particularly leg room and head room is huge , it’s like two completely different segment cars. And as cykers says boots are large but passengers space cramped., and the doors does not open wide. 👎

It's so daft, I don't understand the logic! I mean, if you want more boot space, you can drop the rear seats, but if you need more passenger space, you can't put them in the boot! (Not legally anyway...) so you'd think the logical thing to do would be to make the passenger space bigger for maximum flexibility!

I do miss the sliding rear seats from the Mk1 and Mk2 whenever my whinging friends have to sit in the back... :laugh: 

If they'd just moved the rear seats back 2-3 inches it would have made so much difference (And also stop them kneeing my seat :laugh: )

• Like 1

A new Prius for 2023 is still doing the rumour circuit.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

A new Prius for 2023 is still doing the rumour circuit.

I guess if that’s so, it’ll be a completely revamped model. It may be as you say, a rumour but if you get any further info please let us know. 

18 hours ago, Cyker said:

You're not wrong... it's ridiculous how big the new yaris looks compared to the old ones (Yet has less space inside! Why is this still a trend?!)

10+ airbags, electric everything??

On 8/1/2022 at 10:58 AM, altocumulus said:

Blame Westminster or Holyrood policies, perhaps? Hybrids banned by 2035?

But I agree the Prius, I have a phv, is brilliant. 

P.s. you go to Jim's Garage in Elgin?

Yes, a great garage, great staff and they always sort things out quickly.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, iand12 said:

Yes, a great garage, great staff and they always sort things out quickly.

Indeed! 60 miles away, but we get better service/sale attention from them, than we do at Aberdeen.