Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Software update to navigation system...issues

Spurty30

On 8/3/2022 at 7:19 AM, Niky said:

Same issue with me after an update

If you hold the power button this will reset the infotainment system and sorts (temporarily) the issue.

I've noticed if you search an address with a voice command it works, manually doesn't 

Annoying, isn't it

Ah!... Does the power button reset work with the 2022 head unit?
I thought there was no way of backing out the update.

20 hours ago, Andy N said:

Thanks. Yes - Voice search works fine. Just like to use the keyboard - Call me old-fashioned.  🙂

BTW, ‘hand written’ searches don’t work either.

I hadn't realised before but mine is the same since the update. I tried typing in the address for my doctors this morning and it just sat there spinning and thinking about it. When I cancelled it and used the microphone it brought up the address and even the name of the practice within seconds. It looks like the whole system is more geared up for voice recognition which does seem to work well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, eyemdee said:

I hadn't realised before but mine is the same since the update. I tried typing in the address for my doctors this morning and it just sat there spinning and thinking about it. When I cancelled it and used the microphone it brought up the address and even the name of the practice within seconds. It looks like the whole system is more geared up for voice recognition which does seem to work well.

I had exactly the same today, but not the doctors!

The voice search must be working really well, considering my Eastern English accent. Almost everytime it does exactly what I tell it to do😂😂😂

16 hours ago, Andy N said:

Ah!... Does the power button reset work with the 2022 head unit?
I thought there was no way of backing out the update.

No you can not reverse the update, it will just restart the infotainment system, which helps with entering an address manually. Not all the time though 

I have asked the dealer about the issue and they didn't know what to do, asked to wait for another update.

Voice commands work pretty well for me

• Thanks 1

In fairness I’ve only used pre saved destinations since doing the update 

9 hours ago, Niky said:

No you can not reverse the update, it will just restart the infotainment system, which helps with entering an address manually. Not all the time though 

I have asked the dealer about the issue and they didn't know what to do, asked to wait for another update.

Voice commands work pretty well for me

Yes - That's basically the position I'm in. The dealership have said it will be fixed with a further update but none has been forthcoming since I reported the problem a month ago. 😕
Using voice searches for the forseeable future.

mine sometimes tells me an update can be installed but i have avoided it due to previous comments on this blog.

• 2 weeks later...

Still have a problem with searching for address, but meanwhile...

IMG_20221023_165419.jpg

20 hours ago, Marxon88 said:

Still have a problem with searching for address, but meanwhile...

IMG_20221023_165419.jpg

That is a new one on me. The message that I used to get was Unable to update Software, please try later. ErrorCode: 110. What version is your HU SW now? It is listed under the Model Info link.

Finally got around to the 2022v2 nav database update. My car's running the 2022v1 version. I rarely use this built-in navigation, preferring Android Auto and Google Maps via phone and head unit. But I do like to have the built-in system up-to-date, just in case (Android Auto isn't the most reliable tool you can have).

But this time, it's been a real process and I've not yet completed the update. After nearly 90 minutes, the update has barely completed a third - it's got to starting package 8 out of 21. Every previous update I've done has taken about an hour or a little more in total (this is via the USB drive) - this one looks like it will be 2 hours at least.

So I ended my drive around while the update was going on, returned home and switched off the power. Anyone else had similar experience? Nothing amiss with the update package of files as the update does run. But it's taking forever!

Am I right in assuming the update will restart when I next turn on the car? Would it be at the point it paused, or will it start all over again?

Thanks.

I have just collected my new Corolla Sports Touring and it has the new touch connect.

When using the navigation how do you get the arrow to sort of follow you on the map as in the way you are driving. Instead of moving side to side on the map if you get me hard to explain.

Also when using the radio on the headunit it displays the Dab radio station but then other half of the screen has all the other radio stations how do I get the radio info bit to fill the screen.

Minor things I know but it's just little niggly things and the instruction manual for the new multimedia system is not the best

6 hours ago, Luke717 said:

Finally got around to the 2022v2 nav database update. My car's running the 2022v1 version. I rarely use this built-in navigation, preferring Android Auto and Google Maps via phone and head unit. But I do like to have the built-in system up-to-date, just in case (Android Auto isn't the most reliable tool you can have).

But this time, it's been a real process and I've not yet completed the update. After nearly 90 minutes, the update has barely completed a third - it's got to starting package 8 out of 21. Every previous update I've done has taken about an hour or a little more in total (this is via the USB drive) - this one looks like it will be 2 hours at least.

So I ended my drive around while the update was going on, returned home and switched off the power. Anyone else had similar experience? Nothing amiss with the update package of files as the update does run. But it's taking forever!

Am I right in assuming the update will restart when I next turn on the car? Would it be at the point it paused, or will it start all over again?

Thanks.

The 2022v2 update took the usual 1hour 20 mins to install for me. I don't know why your update is taking so long though. I believe it say's at the start of the install, do not remove USB while installing. I reckon you may have to start over again as you have stopped the install. Check that 2022v1 is still working ok before you try again just in case this has been corrupted in some way.

3 hours ago, PeteC74 said:

I have just collected my new Corolla Sports Touring and it has the new touch connect.

When using the navigation how do you get the arrow to sort of follow you on the map as in the way you are driving. Instead of moving side to side on the map if you get me hard to explain.

I think you just click the little compass thing if I remember rightly, it cycles through the different options.

Thanks probably user error on my part but just couldn't work it out 

I have a 2022 CHR I have same issue being unable to type in the postcode manually it only works on  voice my system is showing no updates. But the map updates is showing problem with map updates. Please contact your dealer. 

I have also contacted Toyota Multimedia support team this is known problem. I booked my car in at the dealership mid November to try and sort it. 

20221028_081601.jpg

2 minutes ago, Leo63 said:

But the map updates is showing problem with map updates. Please contact your dealer. 

That will only update the back up base mapping data stored inside the Smart Connect unit.

The navigation system only ever uses that when it hasn't got a data signal via the DCM.

The DCM as been checked at the dealership its showing strong signal and SOS button light is green not red and I am getting traffic updates. I have been told other owners are having the same problem with the new Toyota Media system. 

Smart Connect uses LIVE mapping data for navigation via the DCM - it's always up to date.

The base mapping back up data can only be updated via a Toyota dealer. 

The system only uses the base mapping data when it cannot get a data signal via the DCM.

Toyota should really update the owners manual / information message or better still remove the map update option from the Smart Connect system as its just confusing owners.

1 hour ago, forkingabout said:

Toyota should really update the owners manual / information message or better still remove the map update option from the Smart Connect system as its just confusing owners.

Too right, it is just a completely pointless option in the menu.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2022 at 8:14 PM, bigblock said:

The 2022v2 update took the usual 1hour 20 mins to install for me. I don't know why your update is taking so long though. I believe it say's at the start of the install, do not remove USB while installing. I reckon you may have to start over again as you have stopped the install. Check that 2022v1 is still working ok before you try again just in case this has been corrupted in some way.

When I next used the car yesterday and powered it on, the database update resumed from the point it had stopped when I powered off the car a few days ago.

20221028_091512.thumb.jpg.49b9aafae40d715e791c8bbf349a0742.jpg

And then, about an hour later, the update successfully completed.

20221028_101050.thumb.jpg.64ff88eeb6d8367d69feec407ff5d8e3.jpg

At least the software is smart enough to know when an update attempt happened that then paused so it didn't want to start again completely from scratch. And I noted that the navigation system prior to the update attempt was still fine, ie, with the v1 database operating normally.

But odd that the update took nearly 90 minutes to process packages 1-8 of the 21 in the update, and then a further hour to do the rest. Such an archaic process!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Luke717 said:

When I next used the car yesterday and powered it on, the database update resumed from the point it had stopped when I powered off the car a few days ago.

20221028_091512.thumb.jpg.49b9aafae40d715e791c8bbf349a0742.jpg

And then, about an hour later, the update successfully completed.

20221028_101050.thumb.jpg.64ff88eeb6d8367d69feec407ff5d8e3.jpg

At least the software is smart enough to know when an update attempt happened that then paused so it didn't want to start again completely from scratch. And I noted that the navigation system prior to the update attempt was still fine, ie, with the v1 database operating normally.

But odd that the update took nearly 90 minutes to process packages 1-8 of the 21 in the update, and then a further hour to do the rest. Such an archaic process!

Glad it carried on installing for you. It looks like a successful install. But that does puzzle me why it took extra time to do it. All's well that end's well as they say.

• Like 1

Had my 2019 Corolla infotech system updated with Android Play in last year's service.
When I first set things up and connected my Android phone Google maps displayed on the nav screen, which I much preferred to the system maps.
But, I've never been able to get Google maps displaying since.
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong . . . or not doing right?