Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How much is enough?

Bper

Why are retailers and supermarkets altering their prices daily as well as not passing on the reduction in the wholesale price of petrol? With the wider increase in living costs this is nothing more than profiteering.

The government are also raking in vast amounts of extra fuel tax with these high prices. This madness has to stop.

• Like 3

Thank goodness we live in a democracy where hopefully the madness will stop.

But with global events the way they are,we are probably doomed, doomed I tell you,as in dads army.😭

On the other hand, it could be a lot lot worse, like the old guy who said "I am sad that I have no shoes" until he met the guy who had no feet.

• Like 3

Supermarkets round here have come down to 174 for petrol, whilst the local Shell garage are still 191. Shell are like BP,  no scruples, just out for making money on excess of needs.

• Like 1

Bper, very true. As long as we pay. 

On our trip to Cornwall we experienced premium petrol prices of 179.9 for Shell and 208.9 BP. 

Right now, Sainsbury 170.9 and Shell 182.9.

Years ago in Yugoskavia we found 2 petrol companies, one in the south one in the North, same price.  Same applied to beer top. 

Hello catlover, how are you getting on with your new cars ?

All good, I trust.🙂

• Like 2

Quite the opposite in North Yorkshire where Supermarkets were the last to reduce prices 

• Like 1

Don't worry, the poors can only be controlled as long as their pittance allows them to survive. Once our wages don't allow us to eat, there will be no point in working and we will have the time to change things the old fashioned way.

• Like 1

I'm just glad it's coming down... Quite a sharp drop at my local supermarkets; They're finally cheaper than the Shells/Texacos again! (It was so weird having the premium petrol stations cheaper than the supermarket ones!)

If it keeps dropping like this I'll have taken back the lead from my Tesla friend for low running costs again :laugh: 

• Haha 2

I tell my friend over the road he will have to resort to riding an electric scooter on the footpath, and on and off the road of course by way of the dropped kerbs at crossings and road junctions to save fuel.

Trouble is,he is well into his 70s and not too steady on his feet.

Oh and law abiding too,we don't have the scooter rental trials round here, so all are illegal, seem to be immune though from prosecution and seizure.

Personally I would crush the lot of them, scooters that is, not all the riders.😉

Of course,if they were not on the road/ footpath then I would not see them and my Draconian sanctions would not apply.

• Like 3

I'm in two minds about them as I figure the more illegal scooter use the less cars congesting my journeys and less money going to KHAAAN!, but then you get the ones who have the 40mph+ capable ones slicing and weaving through A406 traffic, usually sans-helmet or any protective gear other than their massive ear-cans, and you just know they're going to eventually kill someone or be killed by being so irresponsible.

My general stance on personal transport is either it should be allowed to be on the pavement but be hard-limited to no faster than jogging pace, or anything else faster should be on the road, but require training, certification and/or licensing.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Cyker said:

My general stance on personal transport is either it should be allowed to be on the pavement but be hard-limited to no faster than jogging pace, or anything else faster should be on the road, but require training, certification and/or licensing.

I agree. Perhaps have insurance too

• Like 3

I agree the price of fuel is ridiculous at the moment. Unfortunately the only thing we can offer at a dealership level is Toyota's free fuel scheme- £250 of free fuel with approved used cars. Not so great for those who don't want to replace their current car but if you are looking to buy soon its defiantly worth checking it out. 

• Like 1

Aww, does that apply to new cars too?? If so my dealer kept that very quiet!!

At least fuel is coming down now... local supermarket is down from 186.9 to 172.9! :yahoo:

By us: 169.9 Esso, 170.9 Tesco Extra, etc

On 8/3/2022 at 8:30 PM, Rhymes with Paris said:

Hello catlover, how are you getting on with your new cars ?

All good, I trust.🙂

Hi Paul, we both getting along fine with the CitiGo’s. Took no time at all to get used to a manual box, that surprised me. Thing I miss the most is the 10 speaker JBL system in the Prius Excel. Plus the better mpg in the Prius. We went in holiday to south North Yorkshire in mine and I reckon the Prius would have done 12-15 mpg better. Once I get to around 60mpg in the Citgo it’s difficult to get much more. We are off again in a few weeks to north North Yorkshire, so will see what I can do on that run. 

• Like 1

Why are supermarkets still not dropping the price of petrol after the wholesale price dropped some time ago?

It has been reported that some petrol stations are now at £1.66p. Our local supermarket is currently at 1.88.9p. Why?

• Like 1

Yeah that happened here - For a while the standalones were cheaper than the supermarkets by 4-5p, but then after a while the supermarkets dropped by like 10-12p so it'll come eventually.

Someone told me that supermarkets set their prices when the tanker refuels them, so the price won't change until they use up their current stock and have to be refilled. This will be exacerbated by people using the cheaper standalones so the supermarket tanks take longer to get used up.

• Like 2

I paid £1.729 per litre for E10 on 07 August. That was the cheapest on my travels at the time. The Esso petrol station closest to me have been at around the 1.89 mak for ages. They've now dropped to 1.829 per litre. It's still more convenient for me to travel an extra three miles while I'm on my way to do shopping, than to fill up locally. As far as I'm concerned, they're now only out to make a profit. They filled their tanks a couple of days ago, so it has nothing to do with waiting for the fuel in their tanks to finish (where they may have paid a higher price).

• Like 3

On 8/7/2022 at 7:50 AM, Catlover said:

Hi Paul, we both getting along fine with the CitiGo’s. Took no time at all to get used to a manual box, that surprised me. Thing I miss the most is the 10 speaker JBL system in the Prius Excel. Plus the better mpg in the Prius. We went in holiday to south North Yorkshire in mine and I reckon the Prius would have done 12-15 mpg better. Once I get to around 60mpg in the Citgo it’s difficult to get much more. We are off again in a few weeks to north North Yorkshire, so will see what I can do on that run. 

Ah, that's good that you are getting on ok with them.

I have switched between manuals and autos a few times over the years.

Usually takes me about an hour of driving to get rid of the muscle memory of the left leg 😒, I drive autos right foot only, contrary to the advice from honest John, motoring expert.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

I drive autos right foot only, contrary to the advice from honest John, motoring expert.

I followed his advice a few years ago about buying a vehicle fitted with the brilliant multiple award winning Peugeot Puretech engine - that turned out to be a disaster. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Aye forkingabout, I did get some useful information from his column.

But also noticed some things that were just plain wrong in my opinion.

So with the Peugeot then, was this when the fashion started of putting tiny highly stressed engines in cars? Was it a turbo petrol?

I suppose though, that any motoring journalist whizzing around in a new car for a couple of days that they do not have to pay for,is going to have a very different experience from owners who keep for a while,or buy used a few years down the line.

• Like 3

A local garage to us is £159.9 today, so it can be done, these guys are buying it in from Gulf, imagine if you refined the fuel  🙄

• Like 2

Maybe they read this forum and are dropping the price.

last night local supermarket dropped to £178.9p back in March it was £158.9p.