Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dash malfunction

abtx

Hi. I just bought a Yaris today and on the way back home I realised couple of things the previous owner didn’t happen to mention and I never noticed. One thing is that the review counter goes up to 3k rpm only and stops there. The other thing is that when I turn the lights on there is no dash control (no green lights on icon, but the dash is illuminated and the lights are ok). Fog lights dash control is working as normal. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Does the engine only go up to 3000rpm as well, or can you hear it continuing to rev up?

If you can hear it rev past 3000rpm, the dashboard may be faulty (Virtually unheard of with the Yaris, but not impossible)

If the car is actually limited to 3000rpm, it's in limp mode, which is a whole different can of worms, esp. if there's no check engine light, as it suggests it's been deliberately extinguished. (Even in a healthy car, the CEL will flash on for a sec when the car is turned on as part of the dash self-check. Pulling/covering the bulb for it is a common trick by unscrupulous people to get a car through the MOT)

Either way, I really hope you got it from a dealer - If you did, take it back and make them fix it.

If it's a private sale, your options are much more limited; You can try and get your money back on the basis that the faults were not disclosed to you, but unless the seller is a super-honest person that's not likely to happen.

8 hours ago, Cyker said:

Does the engine only go up to 3000rpm as well, or can you hear it continuing to rev up?

If you can hear it rev past 3000rpm, the dashboard may be faulty (Virtually unheard of with the Yaris, but not impossible)

If the car is actually limited to 3000rpm, it's in limp mode, which is a whole different can of worms, esp. if there's no check engine light, as it suggests it's been deliberately extinguished. (Even in a healthy car, the CEL will flash on for a sec when the car is turned on as part of the dash self-check. Pulling/covering the bulb for it is a common trick by unscrupulous people to get a car through the MOT)

Either way, I really hope you got it from a dealer - If you did, take it back and make them fix it.

If it's a private sale, your options are much more limited; You can try and get your money back on the basis that the faults were not disclosed to you, but unless the seller is a super-honest person that's not likely to happen.

Thanks for the reply. The engine revs all the way up and engine check light plus others all light up when the car is being on the second key position, so they have not been disconnected. 

Unfortunately, this was a private seller and she didn’t respond my text yet. I’ll try calling today but don’t have my hopes up. They said the car was in perfect mechanical order and I believe they were aware of all these faults. My bad for not checking more thoroughly. With the rev counter I did see it work but because I was test driving in a 30mph zone I didn’t really have a chance to take it up to speed.  

Hope the faults aren’t going to cost a lot to fix. The control light looks like hopefully it’s a blown fuse. The rev counter seems like might be more expensive to fix 😕

11 hours ago, abtx said:

The other thing is that when I turn the lights on there is no dash control (no green lights on icon, but the dash is illuminated and the lights are ok)

Are you absolutely sure there should be a "lights on" warning? My car doesn't have one. To be honest I haven't even checked the display to try and see if there is provision for it.

Non shown in the handbook, only rear and front "fog" lights.

Screenshot (198).png

Okay if you're getting the full 6500rpm (Or whatever that engine goes up to) and it's not going in to limp mode, I assume it's just not displaying the correct RPM which is less bad; My first guess then is there has been some sort of water ingress or corrosion in the dash electronics - This can happen in damper parts of the UK (My brother's Mk1 Yaris developed all sorts of electrical gremlins towards the end of its life - This is why I keep silica gel packs in my car, to try and reduce condensation, fogging and such electrical gremlins!).

If that's what it is, there are companies that can repair the dash - Finding them can be tricky as the UK is really poor for repairing stuff, but one that was used on Wheeler Dealers that seems to have a good rep is http://www.bba-reman.com

Another option is to just get one from a wrecker's yard and have your mechanic fit it, but often the odometer count is stored in the dash and will need to be corrected or noted so the car doesn't appear to be 'clocked'.

That's assuming it is the dashboard tho'! Would definitely be wise to get a skilled garage or local auto-electrician to check and confirm that before ripping it out! (They might even be able to repair it)

2 hours ago, mrpj1 said:

Are you absolutely sure there should be a "lights on" warning? My car doesn't have one. To be honest I haven't even checked the display to try and see if there is provision for it.

Non shown in the handbook, only rear and front "fog" lights.

Screenshot (198).png

I assume they mean the side-lights indicator, which in your diagram is next to the right signal light.

54 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Okay if you're getting the full 6500rpm (Or whatever that engine goes up to) and it's not going in to limp mode, I assume it's just not displaying the correct RPM which is less bad; My first guess then is there has been some sort of water ingress or corrosion in the dash electronics - This can happen in damper parts of the UK (My brother's Mk1 Yaris developed all sorts of electrical gremlins towards the end of its life - This is why I keep silica gel packs in my car, to try and reduce condensation, fogging and such electrical gremlins!).

If that's what it is, there are companies that can repair the dash - Finding them can be tricky as the UK is really poor for repairing stuff, but one that was used on Wheeler Dealers that seems to have a good rep is http://www.bba-reman.com

Another option is to just get one from a wrecker's yard and have your mechanic fit it, but often the odometer count is stored in the dash and will need to be corrected or noted so the car doesn't appear to be 'clocked'.

That's assuming it is the dashboard tho'! Would definitely be wise to get a skilled garage or local auto-electrician to check and confirm that before ripping it out! (They might even be able to repair it)

Thanks for the help. I have taken the car out this afternoon and it seems to be revving all the way up. I think I might have jumped the gun here 🙂 I swear though in the motorway traffic yesterday I heard the engine revving up but the gauge didn't even twitch above 3k. Maybe this is normal too. 

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

I assume they mean the side-lights indicator, which in your diagram is next to the right signal light. It doesn't appear on this diagram though. I wonder whether it was introduced in later models?

Right, that's the indicator I was expecting to see. 

There are 2 dashes for a lot of Toyotas - One is usually only on the poverty-spec trim and usually misses off things like rev counter, temps, random lights etc., and the other is the full dash that most of the other trims would have.

If yours is the Icon (I think that's the lowest spec, but ever since they changed from the much more straightforward T2 T3 T4 naming convention I'm never sure!) it might actually be missing that light deliberately, as well as the rev counter etc.

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

There are 2 dashes for a lot of Toyotas - One is usually only on the poverty-spec trim and usually misses off things like rev counter, temps, random lights etc., and the other is the full dash that most of the other trims would have.

If yours is the Icon (I think that's the lowest spec, but ever since they changed from the much more straightforward T2 T3 T4 naming convention I'm never sure!) it might actually be missing that light deliberately, as well as the rev counter etc.

It's the 2012 Yaris Spirit, which I think is a higher trim model. It's got the rev counter, but the diagram I linked shows that even the rev counter equipped dash doesn't have it. It's just very odd to me that there are lights for every other function but not for the lights. 

Huh, maybe it doesn't then?? Would be the only high-spec Yaris dash I've seen without one tho'!

Is it an early mk3, 1.0 or 1.3 manual ? Does it have auto lights ? Does it show the high beam (blue light) ? do you have a code reader ? What is the redline on the rev counter ?

Do the lights actually work, if auto lights set them to manual, side or main beam

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Is it an early mk3, 1.0 or 1.3 manual ? Does it have auto lights ? Does it show the high beam (blue light) ? do you have a code reader ? What is the redline on the rev counter ?

Do the lights actually work, if auto lights set them to manual, side or main beam

It's early mk3, yes, it has auto lights. High beam have a blue control light. I don't have a code reader, will get one and check. It has got the red line at 6k. 
The lights and auto lights work just fine, but no control light on the dash for either. So high beam and fog lights (both front and rear) have a control light. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

Huh, maybe it doesn't then?? Would be the only high-spec Yaris dash I've seen without one tho'!

Hmm, that's weird. I wonder whether someone tampered with the interior and replaced the dash. I don't seem to have the rotary switch to change the backlight intensity either. 

• Like 1

You don't get a dimmer, not even on the Excel premium

i would pull the dash, unplug it and plug it back in - trim is clipped in place then 2 screws and 2 more clips hold the cluster

14 minutes ago, flash22 said:

i would pull the dash, unplug it and plug it back in - trim is clipped in place then 2 screws and 2 more clips hold the cluster

Cool, I'll give it a go then 🙂

• Like 1

I pulled the owner's manual, and it shows a control light next to the right indicator but the description is "tail light (if equipped)". The icon looks like the one I'd associate with headlights. I'm baffled. 

• Like 1

I've used my phone's torch to see if there's anything there, and there isn't. So it definitely doesn't have it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abtx said:

I've used my phone's torch to see if there's anything there, and there isn't. So it definitely doesn't have it. 

The presence of the headlight warning indicator depends on the type of dash Toyota fit for example:

On cars where the dash auto illuminates on start up to allow it to be clearly seen will have a light on indicator, whereas

On cars where the dash is easily legible and it only illuminates when the headlihts are on there will be no light on indicator 

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Dash illumination adjustment is there but it is only accessible when the headlights are on, use the push button on the dash to cycle through the display options such as MPG, Range etc with the lights on there will an extra screen with a scaled bar, press and hold the button used to cycle the screen options and the bars will adjust up/down altering the backlight release when you get a setting you like.

• Like 1

So it just doesn't have one? Well I guess that's good in the sense that there isn't a fault afterall.

That said, good grief, extra glad I skipped the Mk3 - Little things like that annoy the bejeezus out of me!! :laugh: 

There is that, it's electronic rather than a physical control op was looking for an actual control - i have the 17 onwards dash in mine (retrofitted and programmed to suit)

On 8/4/2022 at 12:40 PM, Cyker said:

I assume they mean the side-lights indicator, which in your diagram is next to the right signal light.

Oops, didn't spot that!:ph34r: That definitely doesn't illuminate on mine, when the lights are on. "If equipped", as Artur has pointd out.

The "high beam" light certainly does work (blue)on my car. Auto light function is fitted but I never use it.

Screenshot (202).png

Screenshot (203).png