Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ouch!

Rhymes with Paris

My friend's 55 plate 1.3 colour collection 3 door has had a little bump today.

Front wing and bumper stove in, headlamp loosened, chassis front rails ok and inner wing ok. Door ok, bonnet ok.

I am trying to advise her on the best course of action, given that I reckon the cost to fix,the insurance payout,and sale value as damaged are pretty similar.

So any guesses on repair costs welcome.

Alternatively offers to buy as damaged are also welcome if anyone is interested.

IMG_20220804_161411.jpg

That's gone in a long way that wing, look at the gaps, there is £500 of visible parts damage plus the costs of repairs, that will write it off. Time to scrap/sell for spares I think 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Insurance will write it off, a bumper and paint will write it off on cost alone, whose fault was it ? Was it another car ??

A wing and headlight should fix it the bumper should go again, i would jack it up and check the lower arm/ball joint and drop link

a quick look shows  similar cars in the £1700 range, so trade it will be worth a half to a 1/3 of that, maybe £200 scrap

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Parts King and flash, that is useful info.

I take it flash that trade in is for pre accident condition?

It was her fault,she pulled out of an exit to a farm shop in front of a pick up by the sound of it, damage to front of pick up also.

So her NCB is up the swannee anyway.

Not had a figure from Toyota insurance yet to write off her car , fully comp,£200 excess.

I suspect that figure is going to be probably less than sell for spares value, but don't know.

So really her decision will be to let the insurance co haul it off to assess it,or not claim for her car at all and sell for spares.

It's a shame really, she has had the car from new, and looked after it well, really good condition and 68000 miles,so could have gone on for a while yet.

It is drivable, although not legally by the looks of it.

• Like 1

That's a shame the damage looks high up, that's all

she should get a buyback price £2-300 should put it right with used parts, and worry about paint later worst of the scuffs should come off with some compound

Edit. 55 plate, it's a very late mk1 or early mk2 ?

Edit 2. It's a mk1, the repeater is over the centreline of the wheel

• Like 2

Yes, I think it's a mk 1.

Luckily both her and the other lady passenger were not injured at all.

Although the passenger in the pick up banged his head on the windscreen or roof apparently.

Quite how this would happen with a seatbelt on is not clear, I wasn't there.

I know some people think really quickly in an accident, and are very creative in their interpretation of injuries.

Funnily enough, I was chatting with Cyker only yesterday about the strength of the mk 1 body Shell, and this is born out by the deformation of the wing, with no damage to the chassis rail or inner wing.

In a 30 limit,so not high speed , but a loaded pick up or truck of some sort has a lot of destructive energy.

I am just thankful my friend was not hurt,bent metal can be sorted one way or another.

• Like 4

It should be possible to repair it but it's whether it's worth the time and money.

That said, here is some inspiration from an old forum legend! :laugh:

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your friend's accident and glad everyone is ok.

As above, if the chassis rails are straight then its probably feasible to get replacement parts from a scrapped car. And if they're in the right colour even better. Potentially you could even buy a scrapped car with a perfect right side, transfer parts over and then sell the rest as parts to recoup your investment

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Parts-King said:

That's gone in a long way that wing, look at the gaps, there is £500 of visible parts damage plus the costs of repairs, that will write it off. Time to scrap/sell for spares I think 

I had two front ends damaged.  In both cases the internal damage was not visible (or spotted at the time and repaired) but it was there.  

• Like 3

Thank you so much all of you for your kind help, advice, suggestions and support.🙂

I would lean towards repairs with the breakers spares option myself, but not really an option here as neither of us have the fitness, strength or skills to do the work, even if we had a garage to work in between us.

And for some reason it's very difficult to get anyone to carry out any kind of work round here, even getting gardeners is tricky.

She is still quite upset over this today, and not really up for discussing options just now, also she needs a car fairly quickly as she goes to a lot of social and friends stuff, and visiting relatives the other side of the country,so another stopper on the do it thyself option, even if I was capable.

I also don't know what the insurance position would be, again if it was me I would not claim for my car, and repair at my own expense, but given that the other parties claim will be paid out by the looks of it, I don't know if she will be worse off going for whatever low payout they offer (not rec'd yet) or not claiming on hers and selling for parts.

Anyone know if 2 claims in one accident,ie the pick up one claim, her car the other, makes it any worse on things like NCB and increased premiums?

Cyker, thanks for the heads up on that thread,it is indeed an inspiration, and epic.

I read the whole thing, what an achievement.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry too much about the premiums; I had like 3 accidents in 2 years and my insurance didn't go up any more than it usually does at renewal time. If they have NCB protection the NCB won't change; If they don't... well, if it's being done under the other party's insurance it won't count as a claim so the NCB will be intact, otherwise they'll loose it all...

Hopefully someone can recommend a decent mechanic up your neck of the woods, otherwise it might be quicker and easier to just get a new one; The normal petrol Mk1s are usually quite cheap and easily sourced as they are quite numerous but not as popular as similar year fiestas and polos etc.

• Like 1

I maybe have not made it clear, my fault as a complex situation, and lack of information to me.

The accident was my friend's fault, so the other party's claim on her insurance will count as a claim I think.

Not known whether she has NCB protection or not, just now.

So I think the NCB will be lost anyway.

And yes,mk 1s do seem to be numerous and available, surprised more have not cottoned on to that, and scooped them up as a stop gap maybe, due to the shortage and cost of new and nearly new cars.

• Like 1

Oh sorry my bad I didn't read your post properly :blush:

• Like 1

Ah, no worries as the Aussies say.🙂

My posts on this are a bit all over the place,as I am getting the info in bits and bobs.

However, I am grateful for all the input on this, that may enable me to help my very dear friend.

• Like 1

Just a very personal point of view.  If I was really attached to a treasured possession such as this car after 17 years I would have mixed feelings. 

One is to get it repaired and cherish it for a few more years.  The other is it is now damaged goods and will never be the same again. 

Then there is realism. If she can afford a replacement then she would soon fall in love with a newer model. 

I will be changing our 2 year old Corolla next week.  I actually feel sadder about selling it than excited at getting the new Yaris. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Anyone know if 2 claims in one accident,ie the pick up one claim, her car the other, makes it any worse on things like NCB and increased premiums?

Should be counted as one claim. 

Depending whether she has protected NCB (which just protects the % of no claims discount and not the premium) and claim history, she may only lose part of her NCB, or if she has protected NCB, she may lose none.

However, whether or not she has protected NCB, her premium at next renewal may increase.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

also she needs a car fairly quickly

In which case she really needs to accept this one is gone. Claims, repairs, etc, all take time and a lot of aggravation, so for a 17 yo car it's really time to move on.

7 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Just a very personal point of view.  If I was really attached to a treasured possession such as this car after 17 years I would have mixed feelings. 

One is to get it repaired and cherish it for a few more years.  The other is it is now damaged goods and will never be the same again. 

Then there is realism. If she can afford a replacement then she would soon fall in love with a newer model. 

I will be changing our 2 year old Corolla next week.  I actually feel sadder about selling it than excited at getting the new Yaris. 

Many years ago I had a Vauxhall Carlton that I loved but then I had an accident to the front wing and it had to be repaired, I never felt the same about the car after the repair even though it was repaired to a high standard.

Earlier this year I traded in a Honda CRV that was eight years old for a ex-demo Aygo with 1400 miles on the clock.  I really miss the CRV, even though I like the Aygo and it has saved me a fortune thanks to the missive hike in petrol prices. 

• Like 1

I am popping round to see her shortly,so will see if any decisions or update then.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an update on this.

I spoke to my friend on the phone today, she is on the other side of the country visiting relatives.

She tells me that she has bought an Aygo on a 17 plate in white , manual , while over there.

So still in a Toyota 😉 good.

The damaged Yaris is still on her drive, I don't know what she is doing with it yet, she will be back tues/wed.

So thank you again for all the good information and advice .

• Like 2

Yes, it's good to know how "they got on"as it were.

With her permission, I will post a pic of her new Aygo when she gets back.

Pleased that the bump has not knocked her confidence in driving, I, and my friends are all knocking on a bit, and a lot of times this can mean an end to driving yourself about.

Of course,if anyone realises that they are unsafe to others,or themselves, through eyesight or other health problems, then I would say stop driving.

But she keeps really fit and alert, mainly I suspect by walking a good 3 or 4 miles a day.

• Like 1

Just got back from dinner with my friend.

Well,she is still a bit shook up, not least because in addition to her bump here in the Yaris,a further bump over in the West.

While test driving a C1 after testing the Aygo, two 17 year old Muppets with provisional licences were road racing by the sound of it,60 mph on a single track road.

One rammed into the other and rear ended it , and the front car with it's back stove in,then bumped the os front quarter of the C1.

Again, so thankful no injuries, physical anyway.

So as I said, here is a pic of her new Aygo,it is a 15 not a 17 as I had thought, and I think the spec is Xplay.

IMG_20220828_192409_HDR.jpg