Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T270 Avensis 2.0 D4D Sell or repair? Mot in 1 month expected £600-£1000 bill

Jakob999

Hey all, 

Toyota Avensis 2L Diesel model "SB59 AUE", since last MOT last September, I've had all 4 Tyres/Brakes/Pads changed + a hefty service. Had the relevant belt change around 80k miles from memory. 

Bought the car with 2 owners at 60k Miles for £4k, now at 113k miles so I've had some run with it so far. 

Now the problem - Do I pay to get through the next MOT or do I sell, i'm told there's suspension arms needed x2, £600. Fuel lines corroded (dealer part only i'm told) + whatever else from the advisory list that's likely now an urgent fix. My options are obviously something new on finance for £200-400/month or finding another 2L Diesel less than 10 years old at 50/60k Miles for £4k-£7k. What's your opinion?

Service at 100k:
Oil Change/
Filters changed: Oil/Air/Fuel
Brake fluid
Brakes and pads + 4 Tyres

Service at 113k:
Oil Change + Oil Filter
Engine Coolant

Previous advisories:

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))
Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
Rear Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin (1.1.13 (a) (ii))
Front Coil spring corroded both (5.3.1 (b) (i))
Nearside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Offside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Nearside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
Offside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
Nearside Rear Vehicle structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced chassis leg (6.1.1 (c) (i))
Offside Rear Vehicle structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced chassis leg (6.1.1 (c) (i))
Nearside Rear Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Offside Rear Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Nearside backing sill corroded
Offside backing sill corroded
all rear suspension components corroded

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jakob999 said:

Hey all, 

Toyota Avensis 2L Diesel model "SB59 AUE", since last MOT last September, I've had all 4 Tyres/Brakes/Pads changed + a hefty service. Had the relevant belt change around 80k miles from memory. 

Bought the car with 2 owners at 60k Miles for £4k, now at 113k miles so I've had some run with it so far. 

Now the problem - Do I pay to get through the next MOT or do I sell, i'm told there's suspension arms needed x2, £600. Fuel lines corroded (dealer part only i'm told) + whatever else from the advisory list that's likely now an urgent fix. My options are obviously something new on finance for £200-400/month or finding another 2L Diesel less than 10 years old at 50/60k Miles for £4k-£7k. What's your opinion?

Service at 100k:
Oil Change/
Filters changed: Oil/Air/Fuel
Brake fluid
Brakes and pads + 4 Tyres

Service at 113k:
Oil Change + Oil Filter
Engine Coolant

Previous advisories:

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))
Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
Rear Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin (1.1.13 (a) (ii))
Front Coil spring corroded both (5.3.1 (b) (i))
Nearside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Offside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Nearside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
Offside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
Nearside Rear Vehicle structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced chassis leg (6.1.1 (c) (i))
Offside Rear Vehicle structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced chassis leg (6.1.1 (c) (i))
Nearside Rear Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Offside Rear Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Nearside backing sill corroded
Offside backing sill corroded
all rear suspension components corroded

Well 4k is no bad for a car with those miles I paid 8k for my t27 with 38k first thing I did was get it well washed under it and stone chip undersealed it up .hope good keep rust away 

8 hours ago, 2009joe said:

Well 4k is no bad for a car with those miles I paid 8k for my t27 with 38k first thing I did was get it well washed under it and stone chip undersealed it up .hope good keep rust away 

Well, sadly for me I didn't and now i've got quite a price to pay!

What i'm wondered, because I don't think I have one, is an informed opinion on my situation as to whether I get it through the MOT or just try shift it. Obviously I'm not to know what else will need doing to it to get it through MOT the year after. 

I was really hoping to keep this car going for quite a while, like up to to 200k Miles

If you do decide to change your car i probably wouldnt do it because of the rust underneath.  I thought mine was bad too so when it was in with Toyota i got them to check it, the tec said the Avensis is known for it and while it may look bad it can go several years like that before it becomes a problem, my own mechanic didnt see it as a problem either just said some MOT testers mention it and others wont bother.

I've had advisors like some of yours on previous cars for several years like small oil leak or minor play or movement in arms and never needed to sort them.

At least you known exactly what needs doing with this car ive made a massive mistake in the past to save money i was thinking as it needed some repairs i got rid of my car and spent 3 years with a dog of a car, sometimes the grass isnt greener.

Trading in cars as you may know you can lose a lot of money.  Main thing take it to a garage you can trust, do the maths of how much you would be spending and if there isnt much in it, and you are happy with your current wheels id stick to the car you know.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Inpresmoj said:

If you do decide to change your car i probably wouldnt do it because of the rust underneath.  I thought mine was bad too so when it was in with Toyota i got them to check it, the tec said the Avensis is known for it and while it may look bad it can go several years like that before it becomes a problem, my own mechanic didnt see it as a problem either just said some MOT testers mention it and others wont bother.

I've had advisors like some of yours on previous cars for several years like small oil leak or minor play or movement in arms and never needed to sort them.

At least you known exactly what needs doing with this car ive made a massive mistake in the past to save money i was thinking as it needed some repairs i got rid of my car and spent 3 years with a dog of a car, sometimes the grass isnt greener.

Trading in cars as you may know you can lose a lot of money.  Main thing take it to a garage you can trust, do the maths of how much you would be spending and if there isnt much in it, and you are happy with your current wheels id stick to the car you know.

Very wise words. The grass isn't always greener you're right. The guy on the phone at the garage did specifically say that rust comes down to the inspector.

Fuel pipes are corroded is what they quoted, dealer part only and it won't be cheap. That and the £600 for two front suspension arms!

With an MOT in a month you may stuggle getting a good price for it, sometimes there is no way of knowing with cars so from past experiance if im unsure I just stick to what i currently have.  I only get rid of cars now when im completely sure it has to go.

• Like 1

I have always thought that T27 does not have such rust issues, at least at so low miles like this. If MOT is coming, those faults must of course be fixed. Like Inpresmoj said it is hard to get reasonable price without MOT.

There is one thing I like to remind: since your car is D4D there is a great possibility that head gasket job is coming too (if not done already). That will be very expensive too...

I don´t mean to scare you, but it has happened to me (and many others)!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, avetoy said:

I have always thought that T27 does not have such rust issues, at least at so low miles like this. If MOT is coming, those faults must of course be fixed. Like Inpresmoj said it is hard to get reasonable price without MOT.

There is one thing I like to remind: since your car is D4D there is a great possibility that head gasket job is coming too (if not done already). That will be very expensive too...

I don´t mean to scare you, but it has happened to me (and many others)!

Any clue what the average mileage is that this might become an issue for me? I'd rather get it changed proactively

Hard to say what is the average... As far as I know there have been less than 100000 km (62137 miles) on the clock and gasket is broken.

My 2.0 D4D had 330000 km (205052 miles) before hg job.

If the hg job is done "by the book" it is quite laborious and therefore expensive.

By the way, there has been many cases when Mr. T have replaced the entire engine under warranty because it has been cheaper to them.

I think the  extended warranty for D4D (2.0 and 2.2) engines around here was 7 years or 200000 km (124274 miles)...

16 hours ago, avetoy said:

Hard to say what is the average... As far as I know there have been less than 100000 km (62137 miles) on the clock and gasket is broken.

My 2.0 D4D had 330000 km (205052 miles) before hg job.

If the hg job is done "by the book" it is quite laborious and therefore expensive.

By the way, there has been many cases when Mr. T have replaced the entire engine under warranty because it has been cheaper to them.

I think the  extended warranty for D4D (2.0 and 2.2) engines around here was 7 years or 200000 km (124274 miles)...

Mine was services 3 days ago and it had the oil changed and coolant. They'll have spotted milky oil or loss of coolant 

I've not noticed any sluggish power slumps lately or excess white smoke from the exhaust (except from a cold start)

First symptoms in my car was excessive pressure in the expansion tank and then lack of coolant. Finally the cabin heater did not blow warm air anymore.

However, the engine ran well all the time. I filled the system just with water while waiting to get to the repair shop (Mr. T).

I asked to have the old gasket as a souvenir and they showed me the spot which had leaked. Very tiny groove between 3rd and 4th cylinders.

7 hours ago, avetoy said:

First symptoms in my car was excessive pressure in the expansion tank and then lack of coolant. Finally the cabin heater did not blow warm air anymore.

However, the engine ran well all the time. I filled the system just with water while waiting to get to the repair shop (Mr. T).

I asked to have the old gasket as a souvenir and they showed me the spot which had leaked. Very tiny groove between 3rd and 4th cylinders.

Well I seen online this is maybe to the oil changes and quality of oil as my last 1.9tdi VW group car the head gasket went on it at 125k which is low and we'll my friends ford tanset with 130k head gasket went also my mechanic says it's down to the cheaper oil in my case with my 1.9tdi and my friends van was that !Removed! gem oil .plus I seen online better changing the oil at 5k instead of 10 and every half a year changing oil .plus im going with genuine Toyota oil now and changing it every 5k 

Hi jakob999

I myself have had similar issues. I have  2005 2.2 D4D which I’ve had since 2008. I’m going to have all my suspension arms replace due to corrosion, like yours, and have had my brake pipes, only the rusty sections replaced, with new pipe. I plan to keep the car as long as I can as I tow occasionally with it. If you do decide to replace your vehicle, I would suggest that you have a look on eBay. The seller is: uniquecar14. They are in Bradford. Their cars are always well presented and appear to be selected for there lower mileage. They are reasonably priced and they advertise a lot of Toyotas. I am not related or have any personal interests in this seller. Of course, you will have to form your own opinion and judge for yourself the sellers credentials.

Best wishes

peter.

Never knew the 2.0d4d was prone to head gaskets. Always had the impression they were pretty bullet proof. I guess all you can do is keep it serviced and pray

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 7:23 PM, Ranoid2000 said:

Never knew the 2.0d4d was prone to head gaskets. Always had the impression they were pretty bullet proof. I guess all you can do is keep it serviced and pray

Probably right there. It was more the earlier 2.2 D with the DPF on, mostly the 180 hp versions. (DCAT) Carbon buildup was the main reason, plenty of info around. The later post 2009 on 2.0 D versions were far less prone. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links