Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolant Replacement Problem

Kmac888

hi everyone.

today I decided to replace my coolant/antifreeze (2012 Yaris 1.4 d4d) it doesn't have a metal radiator cap only a plastic expansion bottle. So I drained the coolant from the tap at the bottom of the radiator (3.5 litres came out) then refilled the expansion bottle and ran the engine to burp the air out (cap off). 

The problem is it was running for over an hour (heater on full) but the fan didn't come on or the thermostat open. I had to rev the engine to 2k for the fan to come on...... but the coolant seems to be just sitting in the expansion tank and not flowing to the radiator when the thermostat opened.  While I was waiting and doing a lot of swearing and wishing I had not started this whole thing I noticed a sticker on the bonnet that says "when adding coolant open 2 air bleed valves then close valves and start the engine". I have looked on google and can't find anything about this. There is a black round plastic screw on the expansion tank and a rubber bung next to the cap....car not overheating but I don't have a temp guage only a light that come on blue for cold and red for hot!!!!

What am I doing wrong.....please help!!!!!

When you do your settings prior to air bleed the system only set temperature to max heat but make sure blower fan is set to low . Common mistake to set blower to max too and doing so you are act cooling your system and your radiator fans will never start and thermostat never open or after long long time. 👍

thanks for the replies...so If I start over by draining the coolant again through the tap at the bottom of the radiator. Then open the valve on the expansion tank next to the cap, open valve b and attach tube then add coolant to expansion tank close both valves remove tube and start the engine. No need to burp air as with older cars?? 

I have just been back to the car....there is no tube to attach to bleed valve "b" and the bleed valve b cannot be unscrewed its fixed in place please see pictures

Screenshot_20220806-141239_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220806-141231_Gallery.jpg

You supply the tube it's a 1/4 turn tap iirc it should turn with a square ratchet head

oh.....so I need to find a tube that fits into valve b 🥺

a big thank you to flash22 for those instructions I now know where I went wrong not opening those 2 valves.

I am now at the end part of those instructions where it says "allow the coolant to circulate for several minutes".  I am waiting for the engine to cool down before adding more coolant as it is way below the minimum level. My question is do I need to open the valves again to add more coolant (I still have another 2 litres to add as I removed/drained 3.5 in total. Thanks