Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Old or redesign dipstic

Milllan

How to know that my dipstic is old or redisegn?I have Avensis 1,6 vvti from 2001...I know that model burn oil,and i hear that put more oil 0.5 lit.

Never exceed the maximum quantity of oil. 

Are you saying your dipstick is not accurate? 

• Like 1

Yes.Oil for that engine is maximum 3,7 l and i put 4,2 because burning oil and loos viscosity...I put 10 w 40 ,original toyota oil...I heared that my dipstic is old,and in redisagn avensis until 2005 is new dipstic and oil max is 4,2...

I think I would stick with the 3.7 Milllan and just check it regularly and top up if required.

Maybe carry some top up oil in the boot 👍

You might consider a heavier oil as well.   My previous garage recommended that for an oil burning petrol engine.   

On hear though I have heard others saying use just the recommended oil. 

• Like 1

I dont reccomend putting in a extra oil just check it more regular.

Just how much oil are you using between services? one liter used is considered acceptable from a lot of mfg.

• Like 1

I read this...

Insufficient oil capacity, pre 2005 engines only came with 3.7 litres of oil, this caused the oil to remain very hot all the time reducing the cooling affect the oil has on the back of the pistons. The continued high oil temps causes the oil to degrade and sludge excessively between service oil changes.
Toyota increased the oil capacity from 3.7 to 4.7 litres reducing the oil temps in the engine. 
( EDIT On post 2005 cars Toyota increased oil capacity to 4.2 litres, On pre 2005 cars which had the official modifications carried out due to excessive oil consumption the oil capacity was raised to 4.7litres except for MR2's which stayed at 3.7litres due to the compact / shallow sump fitted to them .

And this is so logic..and will try...

• Like 1

Are you sure they just changed the dipstick and not also the sump for a bigger one to hold the extra oil...??

• Like 4

I think thats not changed...car is in my property last one year....

Milllan,  way I read it, 'official modifications' and 'increased capacity'  would suggest your car should have been fitted with a larger sump and different gear stick. 

The only sensible thing is to check your car was modified.   It is quite possible that the previous owner did not get the modification. 

I would suggest getting a Toyota garage to advise if it has the larger sump.   If it has not,  then given its age,  I would suggest changing the oil more frequently. 

• Like 3

Have you access to search by vin number free?Can i look history car by number?

Milllan,  access is available but I don't think it will tell you if the sump was modified or not. 

I found this link.   It may give you some ideas

• Like 1

Yes,i read both answer...i will try...Maybe this engine was replace,did i see that on history car...He is manufactory in UK.

• Like 1

This is another option fit a 3 party oil cooler plus pipework as it has its own air cooled radiator.

Do consider this is a 21 year old model. Unless it is in first class condition is it worth spending too much on modifications? 

I wont spending money for service that engine,he work excelent,just put petrol and oil and go...That car start burning oil with less than 100000 km,and now is 350000 km...I just thought that i can stop that burning oil to minimum,now is 0,5 l / 1000 km...

• 2 weeks later...

Is some people from forum,stop burning oil,just with changed brands?I want to try with Motul 10w 40?

3 hours ago, Milllan said:

Is some people from forum,stop burning oil,just with changed brands?I want to try with Motul 10w 40?

This is an extract from Devon Aygo's Post on oil burning. Thicker oils than 5w30 aren't recommended. 

The use of poor quality or overly thick oils (thicker than 5w30) increased the likely hood of the issues above occurring. Toyota noted that even dealers where using oils such as 10w40 and quickly pointed out that although the owners manual listed 10w40 it was for warmer climates and that 5w30 was the preferred grade and insisted that dealers use 5w30 when servicing and repairing #zz engines.

• Like 1

Several owners on here have added a higher maximum mark on their existing dipstick. I did a similar thing when I changed the oil in my 2005 Avensis 1.8 Vvti by filling up with 4.2 Litres of oil and marking the level on the stick. 

Back to modified dipsticks. 

I found this post from Roker.

This is a factory mod, the 10mm + dipstick can be purchased from a Toyota dealers. part no 15301-0D011

Regarding the way Toyota "increased the oil" capacity of Vvti engines.  

Devon Aygo Post. 

Toyota also redesigned the pistons with 8 rather than 4 oil return holes, redesigned the piston rings to improve durability and oil clearing abilities. The sump size was never increased just the increasing of the oil level with a recalibrated ( min/max marks moved up the stick )dipstick. ( MR2 didnt get this as the sump was too small to allow the increase). 

• Like 1

Yes,i know that,but i do not know is my dipstic old or no...is he has max 3,7 or 4,2...and i have fear to put more than max...Did you solve that problem about oil burning?

Fair enough. 

I did see and it was probably here a post which gave the length of the original dipstick and the length of the modified dipstick. There was a difference between the two. I can't find that anywhere. 

I measured the dipstick in my engine and it matched the original unmodified dipstick length. 

If you change your own oil you could do as I did. Drain the old oil thoroughly and refill with 4.2 Litres and mark the new maximum oil level on the dipstick. 

I haven't solved the oil burning, mine still uses oil. I just try to minimise the amount of oil consumed by keeping the level between old and new maximum, changing oil with 5w30 every six months and driving gently. 

I use 10 w 40 ,original toyota oil,tgmo,and drive very gently,with max to 3000 rpm...Can you measure dipstic and i will measure mine...Whats you oil burn on 1000 km?

The recalibrated dipsticks had a green spot on top of the yellow plastic pull handle, the part number of the recalibrated dipstick is 15301-0D011

Never use thicker oil as the weak piston rings will allow even more oil to bypass, it will also sludge & burn in  the piston ring oils ways even further causing accelerated wear, use good quality 5w30 oil and premium fuel this will clean up the piston rings. piston oil ways prevent oil sludging & burning of the oil and improve.

ultimately the only "fix" is a new bottom end which are still available for most models as reconditioned units rebuilt with all the modifications included or an engine swap from a engine built post fix:

image.thumb.png.66312d4b01306e9e043ec6eaf2e40441.png

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links