Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Marks on Rear Black Trim on Boot

GSM11

I just went to wipe off some dirt of my car and noticed the black rear trim had water marks on it.  However they won’t come off I tired water and a bit of soap and they are still there.  Any ideas on what will get it off? Not too happy as I have only had the car a few weeks and not fully washed it yet so it’s either rain or the washer fluid that has caused it.

8A85D624-C31A-43CB-B876-7FDBA68E9D1C.jpeg

B06B37E3-60D7-49CA-BCEE-ACE9445B2339.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps try some ‘bumper and trim’ cleaner ?
I think they are all pretty much of a muchness but I found the Mer “Bumper and Trim Gel” to be very effective.

Any car factor or Halfords.

(maybe worth asking any friends/colleagues if they have anything similar to try before you buy).

• Like 1

Hi, 

This looks like water and chemicals been left to vaporise on the panel under strong sunlight leaving a hard marks.
Wash with car shampoo and soft mitt, dry with towel and then if still visible you can try window cleaner spray and microfibre cloth, spray thoroughly and wipe clean before vaporises again and only work on the car under shed or shadow, never dry wipe or work under strong or direct sunlight. You can also buy a good car wax and apply too.   Try these simple methods and if not successful then perhaps visit to a dealer for advice. 👍

• Like 1

Thanks both I will try what you have suggested and if not go to the dealer.  Just odd as I haven’t put anything on the car and can’t believe it has marked so soon after getting the car.

Mine was just the same. Got most of it off with some autoglym Super resin polish. Looks a lot better but can still see faint marks if you look very close. Will have another go the next time I wash it I’m sure it will all come out eventually. 

• Like 1

That is the clear coat failing, can you catch the edges with your finger nail ?

It looks like it has been washed with a scotchbrite pad

that is very bad for a 22 plate, you may have a fight getting that repainted

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

That is the clear coat failing, can you catch the edges with your finger nail ?

It looks like it has been washed with a scotchbrite pad

that is very bad for a 22 plate, you may have a fight getting that repainted

I hope if that is the case I don’t have to fight to get it sorted, I only picked the car up 2 weeks ago tomorrow.

Yes I had these similar marks, although mine had bird lime marks as well where it sat in the compound for a month waiting for the sales executive to pull his thumb out his backside and get an appointment that matched my availability.

I took photos, complained to the dealer, made a fuss, yada yada yada.

I got nowhere. They offered to paint it, replacement was apparently £500 so not an option even when I went down the warranty route.

In the end the wife and I decided to leave it as we thought painting it or putting a clear coat on it would probably look more ugly and potentially a mess.

I polished it, you can still see the marks faintly but the newness has worn off and I’m just “meh” with it all now.

Its a stupid design really. Why use black gloss plastic on the outside, especially on a flat surface, it’s bad enough on the inside!

If a few more cases come to light, I might try contacting Toyota directly, but can’t see the point if it’s just going to do it again. 

• Like 2

It's painted ABS plastic, as i said above if you can feel it with your finger nail it's a clear coat failing, you could use a cutting compound and then polish, but that's not acceptable on a new-ish car, I would log a complaint with toyota customer services if you are getting the run around (don't forget to get a name and reference number)

from the pictures above, water has got under the edge of the clear coat and with the sun it's lifted the clear

• Like 3

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

It's painted ABS plastic, as i said above if you can feel it with your finger nail it's a clear coat failing, you could use a cutting compound and then polish, but that's not acceptable on a new-ish car, I would log a complaint with toyota customer services if you are getting the run around (don't forget to get a name and reference number)

from the pictures above, water has got under the edge of the clear coat and with the sun it's lifted the clear

Thanks Bob, I am taking into the dealer tomorrow and see what they say, they need to sort it as it’s not down to anything I have done and shouldn’t be like that after 2 weeks.

24 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Have you used a local hand car wash!.

No I haven’t even fully washed it yet and only ever wash my car myself.  I had only gone out to clean off some mud on the doors and rear bumper when I noticed it.

• Like 1

I'm trying to figure out where this is! Is that window glass on the right?

What are those mostly vertical marks on the left half of the picture? They look like micro scratches as though something mildly abrasive has been used.

7 minutes ago, mrpj1 said:

I'm trying to figure out where this is! Is that window glass on the right?

What are those mostly vertical marks on the left half of the picture? They look like micro scratches as though something mildly abrasive has been used.

It's the rear drinks bar (pint for the man, g&t for the lady) / trim just below the tailgate glass it's a fairly flat surface

353778608_gen4tailgate.thumb.jpg.721132ec4e344217dc99c64ec07a6868.jpg

• Like 1

So I took my car to to the dealer today, they tried to see if it would polish out but quickly came back saying it wasn’t right and no acceptable. Have had to book it in with service to get a report completed and photos taken.

• Like 4

Good they have accepted that it’s not normal. How on earth a brand new car can have a damage to its paint work caused by its own screen wash? Is it the screen wash acidic or the paint work poor? Let see what they will say and how they will fix it. Remember to ask them to remove the screen wash and use more appropriate one , lighter on chemicals. 👍

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

How on earth a brand new car can have a damage to its paint work caused by its own screen wash?

I know the OP offered that idea up but it's not been confirmed in any way.

It 'just' appears to be faulty clear coat, which seems pretty common these days, and not just Toyotas. (I blame these eco-friendly paints which are really fussy about the surface they will, or won't, stick to.)

On 8/8/2022 at 10:40 AM, mrpj1 said:

Or is it an illusion?

It's bad paint, more than likely the clear is too thin on the edges the trim is made on another line/factory and painted, QC and QA goes out the window when under pressure to knock out cars or get parts out and these parts slip through

Base and Clear coats will be water based, and it doesn't take much to balls up a mix

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Same here! Brand new car with "Toyota Protect" applied. Noticed white marks on rear spoiler after 1st week - see pics. Tried gentle washing to no avail. Brought car to dealer. Certainly dealer's "polishing" improved appearance but faint outlines remain.

20220722_195916.jpg

20220722_195913.jpg

Edited by 2022
to clarify pics prior to polishing
  • Sad 3

That doesn’t look good at all. If this is a damaged lacquer then only paint job can fix it. Polishing only will mask a bit but can not repair. I wonder why is happening, because of acidic screen wash, chemicals in the water or poor quality top coat lacquer? 

• Like 2

Same as the OP straight back to the base coat

this only seems to be on 22 plate cars

• Thanks 1

Took my car in on Monday, they took pictures to send to Toyota and put in a Compass report/claim.  Waiting to hear back but can’t see why it won’t get sorted under warranty. Looks like a bad batch during manufacturing wonder how many cars are affected. Will update when the dealer gets back to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1