Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Marks on Rear Black Trim on Boot

GSM11

Very interesting to see how this unfolds as I was bullied by the dealership into the feeling I was being too picky over the same issue on mine.

I can’t wait to ram this up the sales executives posterior to be honest, so I can repay the courtesy they showed to me over it!

• Like 1

Yes certainly looks like lacquer peel. As mentioned it really shouldn't happen on a new car.

Back in the day, i sanded thr clearcoat down with (iirc) 2000 grit wet and dry sandpaper and then sprayed some fresh lacquer on it. Just rattle can stuff, and then polished it back, initially by hand then with an attachment in the drill. Might be worth trying although i have to say taking sandpaper to.paint really takes courage!

Hope you get a good resolution.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, corradovr6 said:

Might be worth trying although i have to say taking sandpaper to.paint really takes courage!

It certainly does take courage. I would leave well alone and pursue, pleasantly(initially) and firmly, the warranty first.

1 hour ago, corradovr6 said:

Yes certainly looks like lacquer peel. As mentioned it really shouldn't happen on a new car.

Back in the day, i sanded thr clearcoat down with (iirc) 2000 grit wet and dry sandpaper and then sprayed some fresh lacquer on it. Just rattle can stuff, and then polished it back, initially by hand then with an attachment in the drill. Might be worth trying although i have to say taking sandpaper to.paint really takes courage!

Hope you get a good resolution.

It's a brand-new car, it shouldn't have this issue in the first place !!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I'm updating this post as I have just washed my Mazda Yaris for the first time and it has exacrly the same. Absolutely gutted and my first feeling is, I have used the rear wiper washer this week as the roads have been so bad, it just looks like that fluid has run onto the paint and discoloured it.

I've just dried it off, going to Autoglym SRP the area and see what happens. Reading the thread, I'll still be able to see it 🤬🤬

• Like 1

Update... thank fudge (other confectionary is available) Autoglym SRP and they have gone. Put an led torch across the panel and seems fine. Let it dry off now and a top layer of Collinite tomorrow if it stays the same. Is this going to happen every time I use the rear washer? May look to drain the bottle and put my own in with a known dilution rate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Llynyfan said:

May look to drain the bottle and put my own in with a known dilution rate.

That’s what I did and it hasn’t happened again. I had to polish mine twice after using the original screen wash

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Just noticed a similar stain on the black plastic gloss panel at the rear of my Yaris Cross.  Tried to remove it using Toyota polish but it made no difference.  Also used some rubbing alcohol as well without success.  However, the stain disappeared after polishing with “Rainx” and a microfibre cloth.

• Like 3

I’m not sure what caused this stain but it’s certainly not bird lime.  Wish I had taken a photo, however it looked like a greasy thumb print so heaven knows where it came from.  This is the first time I’ve noticed the stain after having washed the car for the 4th time since collection.  Will keep an eye on it for any further developments.

• Like 1

Carbon fibre car wrap would fix all these issues and will match front bumper inserts if the car has any. 👍

Take your point Tony but I’d only think of carbon fibre wrap to enhance the overall appearance of my car.  I have a white coloured Design model and am pleased with the sleek look that it presently exhibits but a black vinyl wrap roof would certainly make it even more striking.  It’s a personal thing but I prefer the flat white paint to the pearlescent as it’s s lot brighter, more natural looking and a lot cheaper.  Pearlescent owners will no doubt counter my argument, so let the comments commence. 😜

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jimota said:

Take your point Tony but I’d only think of carbon fibre wrap to enhance the overall appearance of my car.  I have a white coloured Design model and am pleased with the sleek look that it presently exhibits but a black vinyl wrap roof would certainly make it even more striking.  It’s a personal thing but I prefer the flat white paint to the pearlescent as it’s s lot brighter, more natural looking and a lot cheaper.  Pearlescent owners will no doubt counter my argument, so let the comments commence. 😜

Is yours white pearlescent? This is the best colour and Toyota signature one too. Top spec Toyota/Lexus cars always in that colour 👌

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jimota said:

No, just plain white Tony.  I really like it.

Still good though 👍 

The white cars are easy on the eye, cooler under the sun and more visible through the night. We have ours in white too. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just picked up my new Yaris hybrid on Saturday (3rd of. June). Same issue with some kind of chemical reaction on the black tailgate.

Manager at the dealer says, they've had a few of these cars with same issue.

He took pics and sent off to Toyota.

Hopefully a replacement will be fitted rather than a paint job.

• Like 2

Washed mine for the first time at the weekend and have similar marks. I wondered if it was just poor application of the superguard stuff. Will have a go with Rainex as have some kicking about somewhere.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Yikes! 😱  Kinda glad now that the Toyota dealer who sold me my Yaris Cross (lovely solid white colour! 😜) 11 days ago somehow b***sed up the Toyota ProTect order and it wasn't applied.  I had my suspicions when no paperwork or complimentary products appeared... and when the sales team repeatedly ignored my phone calls and emails.  Went to a different Toyota dealer today: the sales guy there was brilliant, said they don't do Toyota ProTect but a product called SupaGuard.  He explained that Toyota ProTect is a ceramic type coating and only has a 5 year warranty (because a ceramic coating will wash off over time, hence the rules about not using shampoos etc), but products like SupaGard and LifeShine are polymer based products and have a lifetime warranty!  And they cost about HALF of what Toyota Garage #1 ripped me off for the Toyota ProTect that they never applied!!  So they did me a favour in the end.  I just need to get my money back - should happen on Monday, since the manager on duty today looked at my car (and the water that just soaked straight into the back seat when poured!) and agreed ProTect hadn't been applied.  Then I need to find a garage that will clean my car properly and apply a lifetime protection - Toyota Garage #2 aren't sure if they can do it as they didn't sell me the vehicle 😟, so that's another conversation for Monday...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don’t know why people pays for those fancy called  products and believe that this will add anything to protect  their cars. There is no way any applications with fancy names like ceramic coating will protect your car paint work or interior fabrics for 5 years or lifetime. The maximum you can get realistically is a few months at its best.
Save your money and instead do a regular car washes ( not a cheapest one )  once a month or as you prefer and perhaps once or twice a year you can do yourself or book a valeter to apply an old school hand polish or wax or whatever is called these days, old school works the best.
The favourite one here as I understood is this one. Collinite, car wax, 476S https://amzn.eu/d/bCM11Dj 👍

• Like 1

Ceramic or nano technology coatings to paint work do work, providing hydrophobic properties & making it easier to keep clean. Only if they are applied correctly!

The problem is dealers not giving installers time (& maybe equipment) to do it properly.

I've had a Diamondbrite coating in the past & my wife's Yaris has Supagard, but only when thrown in as part of deal.

I used Soft99 Fusso Coat on my RAV4, but Collinitewax is fine if you do the correct prep.

The cost of getting ceramic coating applied properly after paint correction is more than most of us Toyota drivers would consider.

Tony - old school is not best! Please put your sponge & chamois leather in the bin.😉

• Like 2

Well, it works for me. I am not putting anything in the bin Chris 👍

And here is the problem with these extra applications done in the dealer on cars that their owners afterwards will not follow strictly the washing and maintenance procedures to preserve these coatings. Instead they unknowingly or by neglect will take their cars to Tesco cheap car wash, those illegal guys with the trolleys or the Albanian corner car wash called American and those guys will use exactly what they should not, a strong chemicals, even some acids and will not only destroy the coatings but also will cause a damage to the car paint work.
If you are a car valeter or someone who take pride and joy of its motor, and of course can afford it nothing wrong to use any specialty car valeting products, but definitely not a good idea when buying a new car if not going to be careful afterwards. 

• Like 2