Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Do you have to buy a whole new wing mirror housing if attachment is broke

Inpresmoj

My car was vandalised recently Avensis 2010 see pics along with several others in my street and the wing mirror main housing is mainly in one piece, small piece of plastic missing in corner but not important could just fill that in.  The issue is the metal piece that goes into the car is completely broken off, im just wondering if you can just get this piece along with the main wiring part.

The bits that are okay are amazingly the mirror itself, the indicator section, and the outer body coloured section is fine, there might be a small clip broke on this but as there are several clips holding this on, it seems secure when i refitted it.

I definitely want Toyota original parts to avoid issues and for the parts i have to fit properly and It is a electric powered mirror too.

My Insurance excess is £250 so also just deciding if this is worth going through insurance as i suspect it would put up my premium in the following years even though i do have protected no claims. Im trying to keep the costs down so i dont have to go the insurance route.

Any advice would be Appreciated

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

6 minutes ago, Inpresmoj said:

i suspect it would put up my premium in the following years even though i do have protected no claims.

All the protected no claims bonus does is protect the percentage of no claims discount, it doesn't prevent the premium increasing in the event of a claim.

• Thanks 1

A lot of people seem to be afraid of claiming on insurance because they think the premium will go up but as someone that has had several insurance claims, one of which was my fault, the insurance premium never went up more than it did normally anyway. In fact, the biggest premium increase I ever had was in a year I never even had any accidents!

Even when it does go up, I just make them lower it, and if they won't I change insurers for a cheaper one, which fixes that problem.

The biggest cause of a massive premium hike is if you don't have NCB protection - That causes a claim to wipe out almost all your NCB, then you're essentially paying New Driver levels of insurance which, as every driver knows, is just morning, daylight, evening and nighttime robbery.

Also, you're supposed to notify the insurance company of such incidents, although most people don't for the aforementioned concern for premium hikes.

My normal take is, if it'll cost a chunk more than the excess to fix, I'd run it through insurance, otherwise DIY.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I've lost my mirror recently, exactly like on your picture. I've got a good used one on eBay for £30 with all the functions: heating, electric adjustment etc. It was 5 min to replace it.

Dirty scum with nothing better to do is it possible to Jimmy rig a screw threw it to keep it together if can work will be great as never. Know those hood rats might try it again. I had a problem like that now I park my car and the wife's car around the rear of my house on a off parking lane as I'm the end house it's great plus I own property at the end also so I got a digger and lorry in to take. Away 9 lorry loads of dirt and put down stones was the best thing I ever did . Did you try see if can get a bolt in there with a nut to hold it all together . 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links