Do Not Sell My Personal Information

800 Mile Round Trip !!

152bobby

So, I popped up to Glasgow over the weekend, 800 mile round trip, Aygo X gave me 56 mpg and that was not driving like Miss Marple, but was also not driving like Michael Schumacher 🤣.

All in all, I was impressed with the Aygo X 👍

• Like 3

The auto was terrible indeed revving up like a roaring sound! Also uphill is very badly! Struggling when 4 peoples in the car!

It was only me in the car, yes, if you put your foot down and think you are going somewhere fast, it's the wrong car .

But, as I said, it was a surprising nice journey 

• Like 2

That's always been the thing with small-displacement petrol engines, but if you temper your expectations it's fine - The engine is very revvy so it punches above its weight but it can't work miracles!

If it could have the M15A-FXE in it tho' - Rocket ship! I still haven't gotten over the novelty of how quick the Mk4 Yaris picks up. It's such a nice feeling when a car does what you ask it to immediately and the way you expect it to in your head! I'm sure it could be done, but Toyota probably got cold feet from the diesel Aygo; The original Aygo had a 1.4 diesel engine option, but the mistake was they used the wrong engine; They should have used the 1ND-TV as used in the Yaris - One of the best engines Toyota has ever made IMHO. It would have made the Aygo like a rocket ship with all that torque and a high-revving turbo diesel in such a lightweight agile car!

But it shows just how much engineering makes a difference, as they used a PSA engine instead, and despite having the same displacement, it was worse than the 1.0L engine in pretty much every way, which is impressive as you'd expect a diesel engine to have *some* advantages... Even the mpg wasn't much better! It was so bad they discontinued it almost immediately.

I must admit that, compared to my 2011 Rav4, this little Aygo X does not hesitate when pulling away from junctions and roundabouts. It's not lighting, but at least it does not hesitate, it just goes, so for me that is a safety and comfort factor.  So another plus from me.

• Like 3

Yeah the standing launch of the Aygo has always been great - One of the benefits of being light!

• Like 1

Mine after now 1400 miles just gets better and better. Never a sports car but great to drive and just love driving it. Miles better than the replaced Nissan Juke ( current model ) which felt like you had a bag of loose spanners in the boot.

• Like 3

We have had an Aygo Blu, bought new in 2009. It is now quite basic. It can be noisy if you push it too much. At 65 mph if you want the radio on the volume has to be way up! But it is quite nippy around town and enjoyable to drive. It is about to go on the market, a new Aygo X Exclusive is due this week. Whilst the same engine I imagine it will be a little quieter and more comfortable than the old original. We average about 47mpg on the old one. Motoring is short journey, local stuff.

• Like 1

Good to hear! I'm buying Aygo X any day now and the only thing that holds me back is how it can drive on open roads and trips. As you said, I'm not planning in racing when traveling on the countryside those few times per year. But feeling comfortable and knowing that the car can run a few hundreds of miles in a day, would be great.

• Like 1

Interesting to hear your thoughts on a long trip in the car. I had a chat yesterday with my local dealer and they have offered me a base Pure auto brand new for a fiver more a month than I'm currently paying for my 70 plate. I know the Pure is the base model but it seems a no-brainer. Just wanted your opinion on the CVT box and how revvy is it at 70mph, cheers.

• Like 2

Once you get it to 70mph, it's honestly just like any other car and is a nice drive. The seats are not as comfortable as my Rav4, but I did not have any discomfort or a bad back at the end of the drive.

When you are at 70mph and want to overtake a truck or van (who probably shouldn't be doing 70mph in the first place) !!! You obviously have to pick your moment and ensure there's not another car approaching fast, otherwise they will be on your rear bumper in no time.  If you slam your accelerator to the bottom of the floor it will rev like crazy and will eventually get you past.  I found it best to chose my moment and just gradually increase speed and it performs better.

The adaptive cruise control is pretty good, when it has to brake for something and then starts to increase to whichever speed limit you had it set at.

As long as you just remember it's a one litre Aygo X and you'll be totally fine.👍🤣

• Like 1

Agreed; The Aygo always benefited from a more relaxed-style of driving and fore-planning. Spotting a gap in the mirrors, then backing off to get a run-up to speed to meet the gap is definitely the best way for a smooth safe overtake.

The car will happily go at higher speeds, as evidenced by the sheer number of them flying past me on the motorways :laugh: 

I had a Mk1 D4D at the time and was too used to the huge mid-range torque it had; Had to totally alter my driving style while I had the Aygo (Really a C1 but basically the same car!)

3 hours ago, BobbyMcLeish said:

Once you get it to 70mph, it's honestly just like any other car and is a nice drive. The seats are not as comfortable as my Rav4, but I did not have any discomfort or a bad back at the end of the drive.

When you are at 70mph and want to overtake a truck or van (who probably shouldn't be doing 70mph in the first place) !!! You obviously have to pick your moment and ensure there's not another car approaching fast, otherwise they will be on your rear bumper in no time.  If you slam your accelerator to the bottom of the floor it will rev like crazy and will eventually get you past.  I found it best to chose my moment and just gradually increase speed and it performs better.

The adaptive cruise control is pretty good, when it has to brake for something and then starts to increase to whichever speed limit you had it set at.

As long as you just remember it's a one litre Aygo X and you'll be totally fine.👍🤣

Cheers for the info, I'll test drive an auto on Saturday and give you my opinion. I've had Aygos for the best part of six years now and every update has been an improvement, I'd imagine the chassis is a class above than my current one being based on the new Yaris and as for performance I think when buying a vehicle like this then speed is probably low on the agenda.

I driven Aygos on motorways, they can keep up with traffic really well. Sometimes, a well timed start from traffic lights can leave others behind temporarily.

• Like 2

2008 Aygo automatic, less than 50,000 miles on the clock. On a recent 'triangular' trip around England (Alnwick to Bungay, in Suffolk, then across to Winchester and back to Alnwick) the car achieved 68 mpg. Alnwick to Grantham was a 70 mph dash and I think the figure could have been better if I had driven at 50-60 mph on the motorway and dual carriageway (as many other drivers were doing). The engine is rather noisy and thirstier at 70 mph and above.

Off-topic (microcamper): no accommodation available during my trip but, with the passenger seat folded right down, in Winchester I managed a few hours' sleep before returning to Alnwick.

• Like 2

That's really good mpg you guys got from an automatic. 👍

• Like 1

Did my first journey of any length since getting my 2016 Aygo. London to Harrietsham, nr Maidstone, abt 90 miles round trip. I was concerned about taking it on the M25 & M2, worried that it wouldn struggle at speed & overtaking. But it handled things really well, and I was impressed. Since getting the car I have been impressed with how comftable the seats are. Overall, a pleasant short trip.

• Like 1

Just something else I noticed after this trip when washing the car (this is no surprise), as it's the same on the MK2 Aygo, but worse.

I did have heavy rain on this trip and the inside of the rear doors and arches (I'm sure you know the area I mean) where totally soaking and filthy, looked like I had been driving with the rear doors open !!! The carpets and interior where fine.

• Like 1

We have had an Aygo for 13 years (new X next week) you learn to adapt your driving and think ahead. You get used to it. To an extent I had to with my Yaris as well. I drove a friends Ferrari once. You don’t need to plan so much with that! Except to remember it gets up to speed before you take a breath!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Donrald said:

We have had an Aygo for 13 years (new X next week) you learn to adapt your driving and think ahead. You get used to it. To an extent I had to with my Yaris as well. I drove a friends Ferrari once. You don’t need to plan so much with that! Except to remember it gets up to speed before you take a breath!

My Yaris MK3 with 99bhp is also difficult to overtake on single carriageway. Most of the time just have to stay behind a much slower vehicle. So cannot wait to get my hands on the much improved MK4 with 116bhp, maybe next spring. 

• Like 1

I have to say overtaking in the Mk4 is probably the quickest of the cars I've owned - The instant shove it gives you when you ask it lets you make a quick decision without having to plan so far in advance and hope nobody comes to spoil the runup.

You HAVE to signal before doing it tho', otherwise the LTA will beep at you and gently counter-steer to try to stop you crossing the centre line unless you very suddenly pull out. The slight resistance was enough to pull me slightly closer to the overtakee than I had intended before I corrected the first time I did it!

I will say as well that the low roof line and massive A-pillars make spotting a safe overtaking gap a little harder than in previous cars, esp. if the road is framed by hedgerows or undulating.

But given a long clear straight, it's so effortless!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Before I bought a Toyota Auris, we had a Toyota Aygo up to 250,000 km. I haven't done anything to the engine, a small car, nimble in urban conditions, spends very little. Three-cylinder, petrol 1.0, but outside the city, if it is driven over 120 km, it spends a lot, I don't know what it is for this consumption, but in general we were satisfied with the car until 250,000 km, we have not done anything except change the oil, spark plugs, filters and consumables and just drive a very successful car, everyone in the family drove it crazy from driving. Mine was the first generation because we bought it in 2010, but we were very satisfied, really inside it's like being in Blake's spaceship 1980. But it was very comfortable for driving in the city and for parking

• Like 2