Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lost all keys 2008 Corolla Verso T180 (2.2 DCAT) - Any recommended key experts or advice?

RayOfLeamington

Is there anyone who can sort this for less than £420? Ideally Warwickshire / Coventry or parts by post? That £420 quote was via AA and includes a 3 week wait for parts from Toyota (I've also seen main dealer quotes between £900 and £1200)

Or.. Which ECU's need to be changed if I buy a key/lock & ECUs from a breaker? I've seen ECU sets for ~£120 but do I need to change so many parts?? (some sets for sale have 4,5,6, 7+ modules).

<I've done the ECU/Key swap on another car when the engine controller ECU was damaged but that was only 2 ECU + key chip.. Toyota appear to distribute the logic a bit more but I've not found out the bare minimum of parts needed, let alone where to find the parts on the car>

I managed to get access into the car despite being deadlocked and have had the car recovered to my drive. Steering lock is on and I am keeping the Battery off to avoid the car locking itself. I'll have a look at unbolting the steering lock but often they can't be removed unless they're unlocked.

It's high mileage and dented/scratched and full of carbon via EGR/ inlet manifold, so I'm toying with the idea of scrapping but that seems a bit extreme.

Top tip - Don't go swimming with your only car key in your pocket.. The key is now somewhere in a lake 🤡

• Sad 1

My SAAB key is at Biarritz. Fortunately the spare was safely locked in the car.  Equally fortunate we had recently been shown how to break in.  Final bit of good luck, the very tool we needed was on the ground at the entrance to the car park. 😁

• Haha 1

PS, would it have worked anyway after the swim? 

On 8/8/2022 at 4:49 PM, Roy124 said:

The manual key blade would have worked on the door... It took the recovery guy an hour to get past the deadlocks, which required getting underbonnet.

The key itself is fairly well sealed internally (when you 'open it', you then have to remove 4 screws to remove a sealed lid just to get to the battery).

I've now received a key + ECU set as the £420+VAT quote was on 3 week lead time and the best quote I had for any other key replacement service with shorter lead time was £500+VAT. I queried the £500+ and they said 'it's because the key is so expensive' - and when I offered to supply a second hand one (eBay £60) they weren't interested.

I'm currently 6 ECUs done and 2 moe to g. I'm not looking forward to steering lock non removable bolts... and one ECU is AWOL.

I can't find the location of immobiliser ECU 8970-0F010   -  the Toyota layout diagrams all show it high up in centre of the dash, and there is nothing there (apart from the skin missing from my hands and whist whilst I groped around)

On 8/8/2022 at 4:49 PM, Roy124 said:

My smartkey's had a brief trip in my niece's padding pool and still works so chances would have been pretty good!

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 12:47 PM, RayOfLeamington said:

I can't find the location of immobiliser ECU 8970-0F010   -  the Toyota layout diagrams all show it high up in centre of the dash, and there is nothing there (apart from the skin missing from my hands and whist whilst I groped around)

I *STILL* cant find the immobiliser ECU 😞   This has driven me a bit crazy  I'm removing random pieces of the car to look behind them.

The remote central locking works but I can't get the ignition on (or even accessory mode. I get no lights on the start button (I was expecting a red light to say it's not ok.. or maybe an orange light and accessor mode

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links