Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Media System Failure (Touch and Go + Nav)

bencordy

HI all, bit of a weird issue desperately need some help.

2012 Auris Excel went into main dealer for full service, ended up finding a failed head gasket so was with them some time for the repair to take place. 

On getting it back the media system looked to have been updated. bluetooth music display and phone display total different from how they looked before and all menus significantly snappier to move between. However the nav button only gives the message ‘system not installed’ and our phones were no longer paired (so we repaired them discovering it was no longer called touch and go but now shows as ‘car multimedia’). Initially we noticed phone calls the caller could hear us fine but anything they said to us not coming out of the car Speakers. Then it began rebooting frequently (now every 3-5mins), sometimes it reboots and there’s no bluetooth options, phone button does nothing, system freezes if you change source to bluetooth

All very strange. I got back in touch with the dealer assuming they did a software update during the service that failed but they are insistent that they have not interacted with the media system at all as part of the service and work completed on the car (and that it’s not a part they even check on the servicing let alone update).

It’s just been in with them for the day and they’ve confirmed all of the above symptoms claiming the software is all as it normal would be and that what the software thinks it’s displaying isn’t what is showing on the screen, so it’s not a software issue there a failure to communicate between the systems inside the media unit. Their conclusion is that in the hot weather and as an old car something internally in the media unit has failed and it can no longer communicate between the different modules in the audio unit meaning a new one is needed at a cost of £2500. 

I’m flabbergasted and can’t help feeling non of the above makes sense at all, it seems utterly clear the software has changed and that’d surely not possible just because of an internal hardware fault. Why would menus change or Bluetooth names be different. Why would phone screen show loads more info and look more modern and neater because of a hardware fault?! 

What do you all think? Am I right to think this is really fishy? 

Also lets say I were to try and install and older software update does anyone have the files (I know they aren’t on Toyota’s websites any more.). The new ‘system’ doesn’t have a software version option in the settings etc. 

Up for trying anything save for spending the above to replace the daft thing. 

Do you have a Pic ?

Go into the hidden service menu and tap Failure diagnosis

Access to the service menu.

Press and hold the music or car button and turn the sidelights on and off 3 times

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Do you have a Pic ?

Go into the hidden service menu and tap Failure diagnosis

Access to the service menu.

Press and hold the music or car button and turn the sidelights on and off 3 times

Amazing, that was quite interesting.

So attached are a few images firstly the changed media and phone layout mentioned. Diagnostic ran OK most times (tried a few) but twice did fail on the ext box which also is the only item that isn't accessible from the check settings menu either (see pic). Any thoughts on what the error code nres means or what you'd check next? Included the software version etc. 

IMG_20220808_183050.jpg

IMG_20220808_183037.jpg

IMG_20220808_182933.jpg

IMG_20220808_182810.jpg

IMG_20220808_182833.jpg

IMG_20220808_182953.jpg

Oh also ext box didn't display its software version or anything either. 

They may have had the Battery disconnected for a long period of time or had to charge it

Your EXT-Box aka sat nav shows NRES - No response, it means it's connected but not responding to the DA

The screen you are seeing is the standard DA (display audio) when the EXT-Box is connected it takes control of the USB and bluetooth, it's resetting as it doesn't know what to do - like an Essex girl in a shoe shop

pull the radio out, unplug the cables from the EXT-Box - turn the radio on, let it boot then turn it off plug the cables back in and see if it boots

The EXT-Box looks like this (bolted to the bottom of the radio)

193105308_touchnav.thumb.jpg.10c855ef9f21d21e8c3b2cae8471530c.jpg

32 minutes ago, flash22 said:

They may have had the Battery disconnected for a long period of time or had to charge it

Your EXT-Box aka sat nav shows NRES - No response, it means it's connected but not responding to the DA

The screen you are seeing is the standard DA (display audio) when the EXT-Box is connected it takes control of the USB and bluetooth, it's resetting as it doesn't know what to do - like an Essex girl in a shoe shop

pull the radio out, unplug the cables from the EXT-Box - turn the radio on, let it boot then turn it off plug the cables back in and see if it boots

The EXT-Box looks like this (bolted to the bottom of the radio)

193105308_touchnav.thumb.jpg.10c855ef9f21d21e8c3b2cae8471530c.jpg

Amazing. Okay so I’ve just tried this. Interesting with the ext box fully disconnected the bulk of the main issues seem to go away. No rebooting (that I’ve witnessed), all menus working and source button works. Phone connects and calls fine. Obviously no sat nav. Tempted to revert to this and forfeit the nav. Reconnecting the nav box returns immediately to source button not working, phone not available and still no nav.

I’m beginning to wonder if the dealer has either left the car with the Battery disconnected or jump/started or charged the Battery while connected to the car frying the stereo.  

If you are going to disconnect the nav you need to plug the USB (square grey plug) in to DA (Display Audio) to use the USB

sounds like the ext-box unit has failed, you can pick these up used on eBay cheaply ~£100-150 (touch 2 nav modules are different)

Part No.

86840-YY040

or

86840-YY041

Same as the Avensis

eg. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224763449897

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225092221612

1 minute ago, flash22 said:

If you are going to disconnect the nav you need to plug the USB (square grey plug) in to DA (Display Audio) to use the USB

sounds like the ext-box unit has failed, you can pick these up used on eBay cheaply ~£100-150 (touch 2 nav modules are different)

Part No.

86840-YY040

or

86840-YY041

Same as the Avensis

eg. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224763449897

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225092221612

Amazing, that’s so helpful! I attempted to swap the usb over but for the life of me I couldn’t get it to fit! (Can’t say I ever use it really.). Amazing tip on the unit. I assumed they must be out there on their own. To be fair given how old the mapping is I’m tempted not to bother. 

Still don’t seem to have a software version option on the settings. Was interested to see what it’s on.

Turn the plug 90º it only goes in one way - its the dark grey square connector with the thicker cable coming out of it

The Usb connector on the radio and nav

1807406396_GT17toyotausbsocket.thumb.png.b18cc28160a4d40b726c529e720949bc.png

19 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Turn the plug 90º it only goes in one way - its the dark grey square connector with the thicker cable coming out of it

The Usb connector on the radio and nav

1807406396_GT17toyotausbsocket.thumb.png.b18cc28160a4d40b726c529e720949bc.png

Perfect got it. Thanks again! Legend.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links