Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo x 2022 auto transmission

Daniel10

Hello, My partner just got a new aygo x automatic CVT and she has noticed when at a stop with the break pedal down the car transmission stops and restarts when she sets off. I'm slightly confused as i thought that only hybrids do this to save fuel. Has anyone had any experience with this? 

Kind regards 

I didn't think the Auto's had Stop/Start - hybrids will run on electric under 30 mph or a to certain throttle position/load - 2 very different systems

Best practice with an auto if stopped for more than 30 secs is handbrake on, in to neutral

a general overview of stop/start

Do you mean the ENGINE actually stops ?

I found the answer from the brochure, all models have it, both manual and auto.

1471751026_ToyotaSS.thumb.jpg.37535b93ef2056000d27a13e7f1cbc8f.jpg

Wow, didn't know they brought that back! My Mk2 Yaris had such a system, but it was pretty rubbish and didn't work most of the time, unless I had the AC running, but then that would cause it to wake up the engine again within a handful of seconds so was basically useless.

But hey, that means you can say your car is a 'hybrid' now! :laugh:  (Apparently cars with a stop-start system can be classed as 'micro-hybrids' , just to show how bastardized the term 'hybrid' is now! :laugh:)

It was also fitted to the very last Aygos in 2021.

• Like 1

Thanks, didn't know that either!! :eek: 

Thanks everyone, we did a drive around last night  and there is a notification on the dashboard when stopped instructing you to depress the break fully to initiate the stop start. Excellent piece of kit so far. We purchased the exclusive CVT and it runs a dream.

• Like 2

If you don't want the auto stop/start to activate, you can quickly get used to pressing the brake pedal on the auto just enough and get the car to come to a complete halt WITHOUT the stop/start kicking in.  You will indeed, get a message on the dash, stating to apply more pressure for stop/ start to work.

I actually like having this method.  Sort of makes me feel I'm still in control of my car 😂

My Mk2 had a button to disable the stop-start system, although you had to press it every time the car was started I think (I never had to since the stop-start system didn't work 99% of the time anyway :laugh: )

the autos have stop start, was a tad annoying when I did a test drive so I for one will be turning it off I think.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Wiz201 said:

the autos have stop start, was a tad annoying when I did a test drive so I for one will be turning it off I think.

I was for turning it off as well, but it is proving for me, not to be annoying.  It's totally instant when you take your foot off the brake pedal.  I like it 

However, no matter what I read or what people say, surely it cannot be good for the car, starter motor blah blah blah !!

• Haha 1

I understand the auto stop/start is a legal requirement in the EU for all cars and was brought in a few years ago. I suspect that for the UK market Toyota don’t change the concept. I looked at my manual last night - my new Aygo X Exclusive is due this week - and it seems there is a button to disengage it.  I had it on my 12 year old Yaris. I could switch it off but never did.

Yes, there is a switch to turn it off, however, as mentioned earlier, I control it myself, using the pressure of my foot on the brake pedal 👍

• Like 1

Stop/start isn't a legal requirement in the EU. However, most manufacturers have stop/start systems on an increasing number of their cars in order to meet fuel economy and emissions targets across their range. Supposedly these systems may improve economy by between 5 and 10%.

I had stop/start on both my Auris (2009 & 2012) and have it on our current i20 (2020). However, it wasn't fitted on our previous two i20s (2012 & 2015) nor our Aygo (2016).

• Like 1

The CVT gearbox works with a very high oilpressure, pressing pulleys around the steel belt.

With start/stop, the car must be able to maintain that pressure, even if the engine is off, otherwise the belt would slip the first few seconds.

It only needs high oil pressure to 'shift', otherwise the springs the oil pressure pushes against will hold the CVT ratios in its normal/default state - There is very little chance the belt would slip as it always maintains the correct tension, even when unpowered.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links