Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squeaky brakes

venomx

Still making the noise. Tried the water method to de glaze the pads and discs. Not as loud but still annoying..

This is the noise I'm hearing...

Seems to mainly do it when turning left or right and stops when applying the brake. Can't quite figure out why this started after the service.

Got my MOT soon so will take it to a different mechanic to have a look

Could just be the pad material and something I have to live with 

I only took the right brake apart as that seems to be where its coming from, and apart from the slider everything looked fine.

The left disc does have a scratch mark all the way around the outer circumference which is the only thing I can see. If anything was stuck there surely it would have gone by now 

Wonder if its anything to do with the wheel bearings 

I have known brake shoe being to tight in slider fittings it usually corosion under the slider plates remove both and clean re grease on assembley both sides.

• Like 1

Do you guys recommend using ceramic grease on the inner part of the discs here ( around where the holes are,  )? brake-disc-main-1513849824310.thumb.png.5a6bcd996bb9f60abe94bf235689ac17.png

Looking at the autodoc tutorials they use ceramic grease on the inside part of the discs

This is what my disc looked like just before I put everything back together... As you can see they've used a silly amount of copper grease of which I cleaned some of it off....

disc.thumb.jpg.1df982d8a8af145255228784d26678e1.jpg

I don't, I put them together the same as they were when the car left the factory.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No, not grease at all anywhere except slider pins. Clean everything with brake cleaner and wire brush including disc from inside and hubs, all should be cleaned to bare metal, no rust, no grease. Put back in dry fit and only little silicon grease on the pins. You will not have any problems afterwards. Apply grease and problems will return after 1000 miles. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

No, not grease at all anywhere except slider pins. Clean everything with brake cleaner and wire brush including disc from inside and hubs, all should be cleaned to bare metal, no rust, no grease. Put back in dry fit and only little silicon grease on the pins. You will not have any problems afterwards. Apply grease and problems will return after 1000 miles. 👍

Understood, thanks. That is what I did when I took them apart. I'll leave the passenger side for a qualified mechanic as I would rather not mess myself due to what happened with that damaged slider.

They even put grease on the cog right in the middle as you can see.

I won't be going back to that mechanic in future.

Some mechanics like to grease the front and back part of the hub contact points so the wheel won't stick to the disc and the disc won't stick to the hub, but IMHO it's generally not a good idea as the spinning of the wheel can let the grease migrate out on onto the braking surface, esp. if too much is used.

I think just giving the surfaces a good clean and wire brushing before mounting is enough.

• Like 1

Some brake pads have a silicone backing so if its not worn out wont need copper grease on the back but you still need some on the sliders at the end.

The rotor disc if the lip is deep just grind it off as long as its thickness meets minuim spec.

In addition to the pins, I do add a small amount of silicone grease to the "ears" of the pads where they slide in the carrier. After wire brushing any rust from the carrier where the discs slide.

29 minutes ago, mrpj1 said:

In addition to the pins, I do add a small amount of silicone grease to the "ears" of the pads where they slide in the carrier. After wire brushing any rust from the carrier where the discs slide.

Is there any manufacturer in the who does this?

No, because it's not a good thing to do.

I like you thought it wasn't a good idea and its not something i did when i used to look after my own car but it would seem (having watched several videos) its common practice.

14 minutes ago, Stivino said:

Is he a manufacturer? 

I didn't say he was what i said was i used to think putting grease anywhere near the pad ends was a bad idea but it seems its the done thing now.

To slip into pedant mode for a moment  you don't know what  every manufacturer does or doesn't do so "it not being the thing to do" is just your opinion.

After many years in main dealers, it's not something I have ever seen on any new car.

I would prefer to do as the manufacturers do than to take the advice of someone with a YouTube channel.

The only car that I ever seen with some small amount of cooper grease on pads ends was a brand new Toyota gt86 in showroom , I was surprised and went around to check all other models, corolla, Yaris, Prius, Aygo, rav4 and supra [bmw] and non of them had any , but the gt86 had. Perhaps some cars has, some doesn't , but never on the discs mounting surfaces, hubs, bolts, wheels, and even on the pads rear. The wrongly applied grease its a culprit of most major brake failure along with rust., stuck pins or stuck pistons. 👍

It's just down to personal style and maybe experience, some mechanics swear by it (Probably the ones that have had too many experiences of swearing at a wheel/brake disc while bashing it with a hammer because it's seized and won't come off!), while others would be aghast at the idea (Ones that have dealt with crashed vehicles due to grease getting where it shouldn't, or having to clean out brake systems gummed up with grease, grit and brake dust perhaps?).

There are good arguments both for and against, and people tend to do things the way they were taught; That's just how it is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stivino said:

After many years in main dealers, it's not something I have ever seen on any new car.

I would prefer to do as the manufacturers do than to take the advice of someone with a YouTube channel.

So you base your argument on one dealer as I said you don't know if other manufacturer use this method or not,  to look down your nose at the abvice given by  mechanics with many years experience just because it's I'm a YouTube video  to me is a little short sighted. 

39 minutes ago, Cyker said:

There are good arguments both for and against, and people tend to do things the way they were taught; That's just how it is. 

I couldn't agree more.

10 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

So you base your argument on one dealer

If you care to read it again, you'll see that it says dealers, that means more than one.

I will carry on doing what I do, thank you. Whether any manufacturer or anyone does this is of no interest to me.

And shock, horror, I lubricate door hinges , bonnet hinges, tailgate hinges, bonnet lock etc.. Is that done during manufacture? No. I'd better stop doing that it might upset Toyota!

Do what you wish Stivino including your apparent desire to criticise and argue.

16 hours ago, Stivino said:

If you care to read it again, you'll see that it says dealers, that means more than one.

I didn't want to turn this into an argument and if you go back to my first post to you  its blatantly obvious that was not my reason for posting,  as you seem hell bent on proving me wrong here is a statistic there are 4,769 franchised dealers in the country i assume you haven't worked in more than 1% of them so your statement  "Is there any manufacturer in the who does this? No, because it's not a good thing to do" is pure speculation.

1 hour ago, mrpj1 said:

I will carry on doing what I do, thank you. Whether any manufacturer or anyone does this is of no interest to me.

Spot on, if you don't overdo the grease its got to do more good than harm in my view. 

Service fixes don’t always echo production process.  I’ve worked with many caliper and vehicle manufacturers during my role as Tech Sales Manager at Ferodo.   I’m not at all convinced that putting some grease on the pad ears does any harm. If it serves to hold back corrosion it probably does more good.  One thing that most manufacturers I had dealings with were unanimous about was that Ceratec or similar greases were more effective than coppaslip and in every case, keeping the calipers clean did more to prevent problems than anything else.  Dowse the caliper in good quality non acid wheel cleaner at regular intervals keeps them trouble free.  Dirt is the enemy.  I’ve added photos in between washes state as it is now.  7000 miles   

960375B5-E66D-41FC-9C76-97D91B1C9C7B.jpeg

CF2A9ED8-4FEC-41B8-BC88-0510F483CD34.jpeg

AB097640-D3C6-411F-A215-156BDE107C74.jpeg

• Like 2