Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air circulation fan

Bernard Foy

Hi All, my air circulation fan won’t turn off and remains at its lowest speed level is this normal. It can be increased in speed and will decrease in speed to its lowest setting, but won’t turn off. Is this normal ??

I just this minute went out and hit the auto button, but that only brought the fan up to the fastest demisting speed. I looked again at the row of settings and there before my eyes was the off button. How stupid can one get 🤭. No don’t answer that 😡.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

I just this minute went out and hit the auto button, but that only brought the fan up to the fastest demisting speed. I looked again at the row of settings and there before my eyes was the off button. How stupid can one get 🤭. No don’t answer that 😡.

We learn new things every day 👍 

I also was surprised when I discovered that my auris also doesn’t stop the fan unless you use this button 😉

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I also was surprised when I discovered that my auris also doesn’t stop the fan unless you use this button 😉

Maybe I’m not as stupid as I thought I was 😂🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

It's just physics really. If you put it in AUTO it needs to keep a track of the cabin temperature so it knows when to apply heating or cooling.

Where do you measure that temperature? Think about it. Dashboard, drivers seat, roof, centre console ? ... meh.

The most reliable place, avoiding sunlight and any other effects, is in the return air (the air being extracted from the cabin).

So if the fan isn't pulling some air through that channel ... 🤔

OFF means "I don't care about the temperature", and then it can turn the fan off.

• Like 1

Not sure on the Mk4, but the internal temp sensor is to the left of the heater controls on the Mk3

On 8/9/2022 at 11:21 AM, flash22 said:

Not sure on the Mk4, but the internal temp sensor is to the left of the heater controls on the Mk3

Had a look at mine today (mk3) and the grille to the left appears to be a noise maker (It has a mesh and I can reach the connector behind it).

To the right there is a vent with what could be a thermistor behind in a small tube. That would make sense if the tube goes into the return side of the system, in which case the fan will draw cabin air over the sensor. So, as above, the fan needs to run at least a bit for that sensor to feel the cabin temperature.

26 minutes ago, flash22 said:

One is the air temp, the other is the Mic

Aha. The left one must be the mic then 🙂

To be fair the Mk4's HVAC controls are reealalllllyyy small and in day time they're practically invisible (Small black buttons hidden in the shadowy depths of the car!), apart from the 2 big dials which you can push in for auto/dual modes.

I only found the button to turn off the AC ~6 months in to my ownership, and only because I was driving at night at noticed it because it had lit up! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

To be fair the Mk4's HVAC controls are reealalllllyyy small and in day time they're practically invisible (Small black buttons hidden in the shadowy depths of the car!), apart from the 2 big dials which you can push in for auto/dual modes.

I only found the button to turn off the AC ~6 months in to my ownership, and only because I was driving at night at noticed it because it had lit up! :laugh: 

Thank goodness I don’t feel so bad now 🤣

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 1:30 AM, MikeSh said:

To the right there is a vent with what could be a thermistor behind in a small tube. That would make sense if the tube goes into the return side of the system, in which case the fan will draw cabin air over the sensor. So, as above, the fan needs to run at least a bit for that sensor to feel the cabin temperature.

Just did a quick test with thin paper and there is definitely suction into the right hand grille (with the system in Auto).

• Like 1