Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boot Lid Lock Failed

fopetesl

Hi, guys.

58 reg Aygo. Rear boot lid lock problem. Cannot open.

Can see the solenoid actuate but doesn't move the cam to unlock position. See attached movie, please.

When using the remote to unlock the solenoid actuated for maybe half a second and moves about an inch or so.

Any clues as to how I might solve this?

Thanks, Pete

Can you release it by hand ? First step is to clean it all up - i just noticed the solenoid isn't connect to anything

Yep. Can release easily.

You think it's jut gooed up?

Bit worried about taking it all apart 😞

Has the post on the white plastic part snapped off should be a long post that the loop of the solenoid goes on

1563016101_kjb10bootbutton1.thumb.jpg.edaaf493c00238ebe5084789dbbf4e6f.jpg

1185626230_kjb10bootbutton.thumb.jpg.c5fca9c9585486e9d3a92b06f55573c9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The plastic rod you mention is still whole.

However if I force the solenoid into the release position, the unlock works.

So I squirted up the solenoid rods with GT30 a few times and now it (mostly) works.

It really needs taking apart for a good clean and relube but that entails removing the rear scuttle with wings, number plate, etc.  Not going to happen soon.

Thanks for your input Bob/flash22.

It's a bumper off job, 2 bolts to remove the lock, the solenoid has more than likely weak, there are plenty on eBay - you should be able to remove the solenoid from inside the car

I’ll look again but the solenoid is held in a bracket with two Philips screws and the bracket with two 10mm headed screws from under the bumper. It didn’t look like the solenoid would come free removing the Philips screws.

Is the loop of the solenoid on the post ? iirc its 2 Philips screw and it should drop or the 2 10mm bolts, and it comes out on the bracket (behind the bumper)

I give it another go can you strip the plunger out then clean it up.

If not push plunger out as far as you can and then go around its shaft with emory paper to clean up what you can wipe away any dirt then apply wd40 or a thin oil like 3 in one oil.

• Thanks 1

Had another look at it this morning.

Seems not possible to remove the solenoid by merely removing the two philips screws.  Check my pic.  The solenoid end is hooked around the plastic rod of the release/lock mechanism, so that will need to come out first. 

Sigh. Back to removing the rear bumper. 😪

Aygo Lid Lock Pic 8.22.jpg

• Like 1

If you remove the two cross head screws on the right the solinoid itself you can remove unless shaft is connected via a eylet pin.

Then check on how easy its moves look to see if it will plunger will drop down under its own weight turn it up the other way and it should slide back.

When you unplug it check connections are not coroded.

Remove  circlip then you can tug slightly with a turning action do this with key in unlocked position leave key in barral lock.

If you have to remove the nuts one is just on show top left another lower right under solenoid.

When solonoid is out oil other end of its shaft.

Check its movment when operating key fob before replacing it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was afraid of that, then you choices are remove it as a compleate assembly or drill a pilet hole into pin if you have no taps then just use a self tapping screw.

After it takes hold try turning it in a clockwise direction while pulling it forward.

If you fail remove compleate assembly then put a socket thats larger than the pin over it and use a punch or a screw to knock it through.

On replacing pin after cleaning and lubricating it use a center punch about 3 times around the circular groove area to keep pin in  locktite just one end of pin push in and lubricate it afterwards.   

• Thanks 1

I sugest you also remove the bracket above solenoid in your picture clean and lubricate the linkage inside.

This is your photo where door D buckle moves into bumper locking mechanism.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Derek.w said:

I sugest you also remove the bracket above solenoid in your picture clean and lubricate the linkage inside.

This is your photo where door D buckle moves into bumper locking mechanism.

The latch is on the car, the striker is on the tail gate, the reverse of most other hatches

The bracket and release button are bolted from the outside of the car, to take them off you need to remove the bumper

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1