Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid Yaris owner

Pacproduct

Hello everyone 🙂

I'm kind of new to Toyota: I have been owning a Hybrid Yaris (from 2017) for a bit more than 1 year now, and I'm pretty pleased with its reliability so far and the comfort of the CVT gearbox.

Here to better understand Toyota's specificities, in particular their Hybrid technology.

Cheers ^^

• Like 1

welcome, Pac

• Like 1

Welcome to the TOC. The CVT is virtually faultless. Lots of knowledgeable members on here, don’t be afraid to ask questions.

• Like 1

Welcome,

I have a 2016 for 4 years, faultless. Looking to upgrade to the better MK4 next year. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

The CVT is virtually faultless. Lots of knowledgeable members on here, don’t be afraid to ask questions.

Yes I like it, very enjoyable to drive, although unusual at first.

Yup I'm actually wondering something that I find weird, and I did ask it in my other post:

But it seems that this behaviour is still a mystery for most, so far ^^

If it cannot be explained to your satisfaction by the knowledgeable folk on here then I suggest you email Toyota UK and pose that particular question to them and see what their response will be. I do know that it’s all controlled by the car’s computer and Toyota scientists and technicians would have ensured that every possible way is built into the system to ensure that the car is operating correctly, efficiently and safely in the best interests the customer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pacproduct said:

But it seems that this behaviour is still a mystery for most, so far

Maybe this idea has already been offered in the OP's other thread:

Is the engine eventually consuming fuel in this 'braking' situation, as a means to maintaining the exhaust catalyst at a normal functioning temperature ( ~ 600 degrees) ?

With the engine pumping air through the catalyst with this particular type of engine braking mentioned, I would expect its cooling off to occur faster than when the ICE is off/stationary during normal EV-type operation.  If the cat. isn't hot, then when conventional ICE operation resumes there will be  an emissions spike until it is up to temperature, which is bad! 

In this Toyota hybrid case, keeping the catalyst hot is a 'keeping the plate spinning' game for the ECU, isn't it. 

11 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

If it cannot be explained to your satisfaction by the knowledgeable folk on here then I suggest you email Toyota UK and pose that particular question to them and see what their response will be. I do know that it’s all controlled by the car’s computer and Toyota scientists and technicians would have ensured that every possible way is built into the system to ensure that the car is operating correctly, efficiently and safely in the best interests the customer.

I don't doubt that, and I'm sure there is a good reason for the car to behave this way, I'm just curious. 

I did think it was a problem enough (as a matter of fact, it's probably not an issue at all) to contact Toyota directly. A forum seemed more appropriate for discussing it.
If we end up having no certainties for a while, I might do that in the future, thanks for the suggestion.

2 hours ago, Gerg said:

Maybe this idea has already been offered in the OP's other thread

Let me suggest to keep the conversation specifically related to this "mystery behaviour" in the other thread, I'll react to your post there 🙂

Just a question: what does ECU stand for? After a quick search my best guess is "Engine Control Unit"?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links