Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Parking brake T22

DavidT22

On My 2001 T22 Avensis the rear brakes have disc with drum brake for the parking brake. I have problem with the drum/parking brake getting hot. I adjust it with the adjustment wheel behind the disc to the loosest/shortest level and the wheel spinns free, but after Short drive/usage the brake gets hot again?

What is wrong?

the regulation works automatically, you do not have to adjust it yourself, if you turn the adjustment all the way in, and you operate the handbrake, it adjusts automatically,
you can check whether the cables are still moving smoothly, and not stiff

Any answer you receive will be guesses or suggestions, without seeing it in person!

There are 3 main areas that could cause heating - parking drum, the disc brake and the bearing hub.

First check I would do is with the wheel off the floor, spin the wheel after releasing the hand brake. The wheel should be totally of friction and little noise. Check the cable movement and is not sticking. The brake shoes move freely with no rust on the contact points and springs not stretched. There could be corrosion and loose rust inside. Remove the disc/drum and check.

Since this model has separate disc/drum setup, the calliper piston or sliders could be seized. 

The hub bearing could be worn. Again listen for slight rumbling and feel for rough feel when turning the wheel. Is there any play with the hub? If the hub is at fault, this is a quick change - I changed one 12 years ago in less than half an hour, on my then Mk1 1998 GLS. Both version earlier drum only and disc/drum combo, are the same to change, but for the removal of the calliper on the disc version. The hub/bearing is held by 4 bolts, accessed once the drum is removed.  

Hopefully this will give you some direction.

PS: I was just about to post this yesterday, when the site went down. Luckily it was saved so I didn't have to retype the whole thing. Also @mekanieker T22 cars with rear discs that have internal drums for parking. Those drums are not auto adjusting like disc or drum only systems. This is because drums should not wear as much as they are only stopping the wheel from turning, stationary car from moving whilst parking brake applied. The drums don't do the slowing and stopping of a moving car, so are not subjected to wear friction of general brakes. Cars with drum or disc only rear brakes are self adjusting, since they wear due to the friction of braking. It is good to still check the condition of parking brakes once in a while.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mekanieker said:

the regulation works automatically, you do not have to adjust it yourself, if you turn the adjustment all the way in, and you operate the handbrake, it adjusts automatically,
you can check whether the cables are still moving smoothly, and not stiff

The parking brake drums of the T22 with discs are manual only adjustment, as detailed in my reply.

Thanks!

The parking drum/brake did sudenly get hot and wear out. A new brake disc and drum brake pads was installed by a dealer and I thought they hade fixed it, bit not. 

It started to stick again shortly after, and I did adjust the adjustment screw myself, now 3 times and it all repeat it self again...

The wheel rotate with force and only after adjusting the adjustment screw for parking brake/drum it spinns freely. So I believe it is all related to the brake drum/parking brake. 

Parking brake cable moves freely. I am suspecting the screw moving by it self after reinstall/using the car?

Could it be some parts of the drum mechanism installed incorrectly?

Adjustment screw is att its end position with only 1 click before drum brake is starting to apply, so very little margine there. 

Maybe lock the adjustment screw to end position by locking wire, or it starts moving by it self?

Thanks

On 8/11/2022 at 10:05 AM, DavidT22 said:

Thanks!

The parking drum/brake did sudenly get hot and wear out. A new brake disc and drum brake pads was installed by a dealer and I thought they hade fixed it, bit not. 

It started to stick again shortly after, and I did adjust the adjustment screw myself, now 3 times and it all repeat it self again...

The wheel rotate with force and only after adjusting the adjustment screw for parking brake/drum it spinns freely. So I believe it is all related to the brake drum/parking brake. 

Parking brake cable moves freely. I am suspecting the screw moving by it self after reinstall/using the car?

Could it be some parts of the drum mechanism installed incorrectly?

Adjustment screw is att its end position with only 1 click before drum brake is starting to apply, so very little margine there. 

Maybe lock the adjustment screw to end position by locking wire, or it starts moving by it self?

Thanks

Your car is covered by the Haynes manual in detail, including the parking brake. I also had some technical PDF's that may contain the technical information regarding the parking brake. I will have to check my archive drives elsewhere to see what I have. Also sites like Toyota DIY should contain details and part numbers. I will get back to you when I find the information.

Drum brakes I suspect the rivit pivit for hand brake on the shoe not allowing hand brake to move off.

Or cable inside handbrake is seizing.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 8:50 PM, Konrad C said:

Your car is covered by the Haynes manual in detail, including the parking brake. I also had some technical PDF's that may contain the technical information regarding the parking brake. I will have to check my archive drives elsewhere to see what I have. Also sites like Toyota DIY should contain details and part numbers. I will get back to you when I find the information.

Thank you!