Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV4 electronic boot won't open or close

Anne6005

Hi

Has anyone experienced problems with their RAV electronic boot/tailgate? My 2016 Hybrid RAV has decided that the boot will open only one centimetre at a time then refuses to move and has to be manually pushed closed. It seems to think there's an obstruction or that it is already either fully open or closed. My dealer says it is the struts and they are £1000 EACH! It's not like I open he boot 100 times a day so would be interested to know if anyone else has encountered this issue. I've tried resetting the boot via the cabin, but nothing. 

£2k? - yikes. That is eye-watering.

I hope someone comes along with better news for you.

The powered struts for your car are available on eBay for £350 the pair and they can't be that hard to fit - well not another £1,650s worth of labour ...

A 2016 RAV4 will have had 5 year warranty from new and provided that it has been dealer serviced since it sound be covered by Relax warranty still. I don't know whether the struts are covered under Relax but it might be worth finding out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anne6005 said:

Hi

Has anyone experienced problems with their RAV electronic boot/tailgate? My 2016 Hybrid RAV has decided that the boot will open only one centimetre at a time then refuses to move and has to be manually pushed closed. It seems to think there's an obstruction or that it is already either fully open or closed. My dealer says it is the struts and they are £1000 EACH! It's not like I open he boot 100 times a day so would be interested to know if anyone else has encountered this issue. I've tried resetting the boot via the cabin, but nothing. 

That’s eye watering.

2 hours ago, Anne6005 said:

Has anyone experienced problems with their RAV electronic boot/tailgate?

Google seems to find a number of reports of similar problems. Possibly pressure sensors rather than struts. And in at least one case the "solution" was to replace the powered struts and associated gubbins with the much cheaper manual struts ...

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. 

I really like the electronic boot and do use it and would miss it but there does come a point I need to consider what is important. I too have seen the struts on eBay and on spare part sites and I've contacted Toyota direct but they say they are £862 each. 

The warranty would have run out on the 2016 in 2021, and I did not take a Relax warranty. I've gone back to Toyota to ask if I can do it now, cost and if this is covered: I'm pretty sure I know what the answer will be though!

Car is going to my garage next week for further diagnostics as they can get it to open and shut via PC so there is obviously still an electric circuit there: it just is getting blocked by something. I'll take the suggestions to my garage as they have a Land Rover with a similar issue. I'll update here in case this happens to anyone else thanks.

Toyota have said they are not familiar with this problem: I guess they are busy sorting out them mess of their all electric vehicle in the meantime

1 hour ago, Anne6005 said:

The warranty would have run out on the 2016 in 2021, and I did not take a Relax warranty.

If the vehicle had been serviced within the Toyota dealer network after June 2021, the service would have generated the 1 year Relax warranty.

If you're looking to purchase a Toyota extended warranty, existing faults (ie. the problem with the electronic tailgate) would be excluded until repaired.

The same would apply to any other manufacturer.

NB: tailgate struts are included within the Relax warranty.

• 3 months later...

Have same problemm with 2015 diesel. Toyota ran diagnostics for free but the quote for the RH strut and ECU totalled £1298. have looked for used but no luck so far

Sorry Mike but have checked again with Toyota and unfortunately the Tailgate struts are not include in the Relax warranty(which I have)

22 minutes ago, gerryseven said:

Sorry Mike but have checked again with Toyota and unfortunately the Tailgate struts are not include in the Relax warranty(which I have)

Whoever you checked with needs to read the Toyota Relax Warranty Ts&Cs:

https://www.toyota.co.uk/content/dam/toyota/nmsc/united-kingdom/used-cars/Toyota Relax TCs - 25.05.21.pdf 

where it explicitly includes cover for:

image.thumb.png.713157746788606b328503497602415d.png

• Like 2

Good catch philip! Yeah, show them that and see what they say!!

It really does seem like a lot of dealers haven't read the Relax warranty - There've been quite a few posts of people being refused warranty service for things explicitly included!

On 8/10/2022 at 1:04 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

NB: tailgate struts are included within the Relax warranty.

3 hours ago, gerryseven said:

What I would suggest is that you print the Toyota Relax terms and conditions (see attachment), which states that tailgate struts are included with the Relax warranty (listed under 'Body'), and take the print to your Toyota dealer and show them the relevant section - and see what they say then !

Toyota Relax TCs - 25.05.21_tcm-3060-2286757.pdf

• Like 1

Contacted Toyota again and as the electrically operated struts were not under "electronics" they didn't look under "bodywork" as you guys did. They are taking it in after the Christmas rush ( at my suggestion) and hopefully successfully  submitting a warranty claim. When it is finally resolved will post but until then my sincere thanks to Frostyballs, Cyker and Philip42h. Happy Christmas to you all.

• Like 2

I was getting my hackles up when you said after xmas, but if that was your suggestion to be nice to them then fair enough.  I hope they appreciate your consideration and patience!!

• 2 months later...

Said I would post result. Slight delay to 23 Jan, again  with my consent. Courtesy car no problem. They had a ram off another Rav, fitted it and it was ok so they then ordered the ram only and next day I picked it up my motor. The Relax guarantee is over the top for a 98K mile motor but Toyota went with it. Would never have realised that the warranty would cover this without your help.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links