Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Yaris - dealer already suggesting trading it in!

scgf

I took delivery of a new Yaris Design in June. Yesterday my dealer contacted me to say if I ordered a new Yaris (for delivery in March 2023) and traded in my current Yaris he could reduce my monthly payments by £10 - £20.

I can't get my head around this. Any thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Why would you for, say £20 a month x 42m? Not even a 1k. You can sell it for more, but why would u with the wait list atm. It's no guarantee it will be march 2023 with current state of affair. 

• Like 1

But I would keep my current Yaris until the new one arrived so the actually delivery date wouldn't matter. I just don't undersaturated what's in it for the dealer!

• Like 2

Another sale.

• Like 3

It is quite bizarre and you're not the first person here to have such an offer!!

I can only assume they're trying to preemptively build up their second-hand car inventory due to the shortages, but it seems like a gamble if the prices you agree to are fixed, as if there's one thing we've learned the past decade bubbles do burst so 2nd hand car prices might crater before they even get your car!

(Make sure your prices are fixed in writing - Both for the new car and your trade-in - if you do!! A few RAV4 people have already been screwed out of a few grand by price hikes while waiting for their car!)

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, scgf said:

I took delivery of a new Yaris Design in June. Yesterday my dealer contacted me to say if I ordered a new Yaris (for delivery in March 2023) and traded in my current Yaris he could reduce my monthly payments by £10 - £20.

I can't get my head around this. Any thoughts?

31 minutes ago, scgf said:

But I would keep my current Yaris until the new one arrived so the actually delivery date wouldn't matter. I just don't undersaturated what's in it for the dealer!

I suspect that the dealer would have some deal going with Toyota, whereby they get some discount on new car (multiple) orders, and would then sell your trade in to someone who needs a, relatively, new car quickly.

Some people are in the situation, where their old car needs a repair, and the part is unobtanium, and they cannot be without another car.

Your dealer says he can get you into another Yaris for a lower monthly instalment, that indicates improved financing rates offered by Toyota main office. IMO.

• Like 4

1. watch out for claims of lower repayments, usually it's just extending the terms eg. 48 months from 36

2. rates have gone up, most do not do the 0% apr any more

3. it may be a lower spec model than you currently have

New sales have dropped as people are watching their spending, the used car market is stupid at the moment 6-7 year old cars are in the £10-15k mark, if we hit a recession prices will fail and the market will become flooded

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

A few RAV4 people have already been screwed out of a few grand by price hikes while waiting for their car!)

Oh, yes, and it bumps them just over the £40k threshold for the luxury car tax, so a double hit

• Like 2

Not got the car yet, it was in the dealers last Thursday but I just ran the numbers against the order in February.  The numbers come out the same within a couple of hundred.  Will see what they come up with if they ever come round to contacting me.

• Like 3

Also be careful if you had any extras on your car as adding them back on to the 'new' car will likely make it more expensive rather than less!

I definitely wouldn't trade mine in since they got rid of the HUD on new ones! :cry:

• Like 4

Had the same thing. 

I have a Dynamic with City Pack. When the GR Sport spec came out I got a call asking if I wanted to "trade up" but when I looked and compared I think I'd be getting less car. 

1. Bigger rims and more sporty suspension = less comfortable ride
2. No JBL speaker option

• Like 3

18" on a standard Yaris is crazy, 16" are perfectly fine. I want the JBL and HUD option so may wait for a long time before those tech come back. 

I'm considering the Mazda yaris, it's got the HUD though no JBL. Let see if a member get it next month at the dealership. 

• Like 1

You know, I was just thinking that brings the Mk4 up to 4 official rim sizes - 15" to 18"! Is there another car with more factory rim sizes??

When I bought my Dynamic about a month ago I got the dealer to swap from 17" to 16".  Having driven with both I can say the 16" provide a noticeably more comfortable ride and it still goes round corners on rails. I want as much rubber between me and the potholes as possible!

• Like 4

What are the odds that somewhere, hidden deep in the terms and conditions of the sale contract, they reserve the right to change the agreed price due to a higher r.r.p. from Toyota?

I think many manufacturers have this clause because of the current long time between order and delivery. I could be totally wrong though. There has to be something to their financial and commercial advantage for offering this "deal"?

Enjoy your new car!

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

When I bought my Dynamic about a month ago I got the dealer to swap from 17" to 16".  Having driven with both I can say the 16" provide a noticeably more comfortable ride and it still goes round corners on rails. I want as much rubber between me and the potholes as possible!

205/45/17 = 92.25mm of profile air. 

195/55/16 = 107.25mm

15mm of extra profile is a good deal of air. 

The ideal size for me would be 205/55/16, this size tyre is also one of the cheapest. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mrpj1 said:

What are the odds that somewhere, hidden deep in the terms and conditions of the sale contract, they reserve the right to change the agreed price due to a higher r.r.p. from Toyota?

I think many manufacturers have this clause because of the current long time between order and delivery. I could be totally wrong though. There has to be something to their financial and commercial advantage for offering this "deal"?

Enjoy your new car!

My contract with the dealer permits price increases.  It is a standard contact form.  They offer and you have the choice of modifying in. 

They have the option of accepting your amendments, rejecting them, or modifying them. 

Contracts are two way streets.  We are used to this in business but tend to forget when it is personal. 

You have the option of walking away. 

• Like 1

I did similar with my MY21 Corolla, after 9 months I swapped it for a MY22 one which saves me approx £1100 over the term. Why wouldn’t you?

The current Motorway valuation of my current one (2 months old) gives me a profit of nearly £3k. It’s nuts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrpj1 said:

Enjoy your new car!

Yeah that's why I said they should make sure the prices are fixed so they don't get done like the RAV4 people did!

The dealer is calling me tomorrow to do the talk. If I decide to go ahead I will insist the figures are fixed. How am I best to do that? Ask for everything in writing?

13 hours ago, scgf said:

The dealer is calling me tomorrow to do the talk. If I decide to go ahead I will insist the figures are fixed. How am I best to do that? Ask for everything in writing?

It should all be in writing on the document you sign to agree to be paying for the car. My 3 year plan has all my figures clear as day. 

In theory you shouldn't be given the keys until all those bits are finalised. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Cyker said:

Yeah that's why I said they should make sure the prices are fixed so they don't get done like the RAV4 people did!

Not hidden on my contract at all.  There in B&W.  Now I know I will know what to look for. 

First Toyota, we looked in January, built in February and we delayed registration until 1st March.  Who knew in 2020 that a mass produced car might have half a year or more waiting list? 

A Morgan or Bentley certainly, a Toyota!  

Good for Toyota having a full order book and full allocation of a particular MY. 

• Like 1

Well, I did the deed. My current Yaris is Dacuma Grey. I was never actually that keen on the colour and was liking it less and less as I was waiting for delivery. Meanwhile the white was really growing on me so now I have the chance to get a Yaris Design in white. It will cost me around £17 a month less than what I'm paying now - the white is, of course, cheaper in any case. I could see no reason not to go through with the deal to be honest. The dealer said it's all down to the equity in my current car.

• Like 2

That's all the paperwork signed and the new car ordered. The estimated delivery date is 31 March 2023.

• Like 4