Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake lights not working

abtx

So today in the traffic a driver who was behind me kindly pointed out my brake lights were not working. I checked and the 3rd light works just fine, just not the main brake lights. The position lights work, and AFAIK they share the same bulbs. What should I do/check before making a trip to the garage?

The bulbs will be twin filament 21/5W - I'd check the bulbs to see whether both filaments are still intact.

Looks good to me. The other one I can't unplug easily, it got stuck in the socket.

IMG_1357.jpg

It's unusual for both to have failed at the same time.

Do you have a multimeter to check for continuity of the filament(s)? They sometimes look fine to the naked eye.

Or even buy a cheap replacement to fit and check?

6 minutes ago, abtx said:

The other one I can't unplug easily, it got stuck in the socket.

Any signs of corrosion in the socket of the lamp removed? Hence the other being stuck.

Buy a pair is good advice, so hopefully it's just the bulbs are not working and nothing else. 

57 minutes ago, mrpj1 said:

It's unusual for both to have failed at the same time.

They might not have.

How often do you check your brake lights?

If the car spends a lot of time in traffic then the hours of operation rack up quite fast and some of these bulbs are not the best quality.

Check both bulbs and contact areas for corrosion. Check for power, if no power coming to the connections, check the fuses.

• Like 2

Thanks. Bought two bulbs, replaced one (the other one is still stuck, will try again tomorrow). The other one works so a good sign! Car wasn't used much before I bought it. Should've checked when I got it 🙂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MikeSh said:

How often do you check your brake lights?

Every time I leave the house. They are reflected in a house window behind, when depressing the brake pedal to move the selector from P to D. Also a cursory walk round inspection to include a visual of the tyres' outer side. So stop trying to be clever.

13 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

check the fuses.

I think all three brake/stop lights are fed from the same fuse. Mine are, along with other circuits. Artur writes that the high level light is working.

The bulb is black, and the brake light element has gone, but fused what's not uncommon, 2 new bulbs required

• Like 2

Yup, turned out to be both of them gone and now replaced. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, abtx said:

Yup, turned out to be both of them gone and now replaced

I had both reversing lights (old Corolla) get flagged as not working during the last MOT but its not a fail on older cars. First thought was as both had worked and as both now didn't it was most likely going to the switch... but it wasn't. Took one bulb out and it was duff, so was the second.

Pleased to hear yours is now sorted. The good thing with Toyota is that most times when you suspect a problem... there usually isn't one.

• Like 1

And to dispel any doubt, brake light checking device. That's how I found the non functioning high level light earlier this year.

Mulitpurpose use as rear lights, number plate lights, reversing lights and high intensity light etc. checking device too. All visible through rear view mirrors and reflected in the house windows.:whistling1:

Good it was only the lamps Artur.:thumbsup:

yaris rear.jpg

I dont have the luxury of a drive to check, in fact I have been naughty and have not checked for a long time. I know at least some are working as during night driving reflecting from the back car in traffic 😅

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links