Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

About to buy Aygo-X. Are you satisfied? Any advice? Thanks

ZenBaller

Hello everyone! 

After a lot of research, I'm about to buy a car the next few days and it looks like I'm choosing the Aygo X. I would love to hear your experiences, any advice, pros and cons or whatever you want to share if you already own it these last few months. Simply put, are you satisfied? 

Thank you!

If you HAVE done your research and had a test drive (in your preferred Auto or Manual option) and you have read people's reviews on the forum about things like the revvy engine, it's not a fast car, not much room in the rear seats and delivery times in the UK are a lottery and are happy with what you have researched, then in my opinion, you will not be disappointed.

If you can stretch your budget to the Exclusive level for the extra toys, I think it's worth it. (Keyless entry, push start button, front and rear parking sensors, a larger infotainment screen, LED headlights).

Good luck.

• Like 4

I second the above. If you're choosing a manual transmission, bear in mind the high clutch bite. Automatics are more popular for that reason now. 

• Like 4

Thanks for the answers! 

Yes, from what I've been reading in reviews, I am aware that the two most talked about downsides are the relatively mediocre engine power and the lack of space in the rear seats. Other than that, I love its agility and most of all its character and aesthetics. 

I'm thinking of buying one of the more expensive versions with the double exterior colours. Not sure about the Limited. It looks amazing, but I wonder if it's an overkill.

Has any of you tried it on an open road or long distance traveling? It's obviously a city car, but it would be great to use it for a road trip every now and then, without problems. 

• Like 2

See earlier topic "800 Mile Round Trip !!"

• Like 2

They won't be as comfortable as the bigger cars for long journeys, but are definitely capable of them.

The thing about the Aygo is it is not a slow car - It can go quite fast, it just takes longer to get there, but will happily cruise at speed; I'm constantly getting overtaken by them on the motorway as I'm cruising in the left lane at 56-60 while they fly past me at 70+ :laugh: 

Off the line it's also very quick, although it runs out of grunt quite quickly and after that initial jump. It will get overtaken by most other cars that are gunning it.

The only thing that's quite painful in the Aygo is dragging it up a steepish hill with people in it - You need a lot of revs; Definitely wouldn't recommend one for a family road trip in, say, Wales, but that's true of all small displacement cars.

They are hysterical fun on your own on a twisty country road tho', and it teaches you to conserve momentum - Any speed you bleed off takes longer to regain, but you can safely take corners at higher speeds than bigger heavier cars to avoid losing it in the first place.

It's a trade-off I've noticed in my Mk4, as it has a lot more power and torque than the Aygo, but is also much much heavier so I have to remind myself to not throw it round corners the way I did in my older lighter cars!

• Like 2

On 8/11/2022 at 7:35 AM, Wiz201 said:

I second the above. If you're choosing a manual transmission, bear in mind the high clutch bite. Automatics are more popular for that reason now. 

Doesn't make sense getting auto in a 1 litre car putting strain on engine, better off manual

58 minutes ago, Bruce Lea said:

Doesn't make sense getting auto in a 1 litre car putting strain on engine, better off manual

I drive automatic but the one litre engine doesn't seem to struggle

1 hour ago, Bruce Lea said:

Maybe not to you, but the OP may have a specific need for an automatic (health or whatever), or may just prefer an auto. If they were in the UK (rather than Greece), if they had passed their driving test in an auto, they would be limited to driving an auto.

1 hour ago, Bruce Lea said:

You'd have to drive one to see why some of us say that - I'm a die-hard manual person and would always pick a manual over an autobox given a chance, but with the Aygo I'd go with the CVT if it was an option as the clutch on that car is horrible (I'd still take the manual over the MMT tho' :laugh: ).

The problem is it bites right at the end of the pedal throw so it's really hard to tell if you're still at the biting point or if you've actually let go of the clutch, and coming from a Yaris that had a short clutch throw where the bite point was dead centre of the throw always, I really hated it. You get used to it after a while, but it's nowhere near as nice as the Yaris clutch, even with the same engine! I really don't know why Toyota still haven't fixed this...

Since Toyota have somehow made the only reliable CVT and it's not actually that bad, I'd much rather have that than deal with that high clutch on a day to day basis - I found it incredibly obnoxious in stop-start traffic on hills as it never felt like the clutch was fully engaged!

Whenever I see someone in a manual Aygo do a perfect hill start I have to give them a thumbs up!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cyker said:

with the Aygo I'd go with the CVT if it was an option as the clutch on that car is horrible

Never had an issue with the clutch on our Aygo - which includes swapping between the Hyundais and the Aygo ....

• Like 1

I think a few people are getting confused with the old Aygo that had model designations of x-play etc and the brand new Aygo X (Cross).

The new Aygo X CVT Auto is fine but revs like f*** during hard acceleration and that'll surprise a few people.

As for the real manual version of both old and new models, the clutch is absolutely fine and if you cannot adapt to the way it works you really shouldn't be driving.

A 1 litre car is never going to win any prizes for performance but the Aygo in all forms is a great town car and copes pretty well on the motorway, however show it a steep hill even one-up then down the gearbox you go !

• Like 2

To be fair, when I was driving the manual one I would also 'revs like f***' it :naughty: 

It was a very willing engine, and that 3 cylinder engine is so much smoother at high RPM... :whistling1:

The in-gear acceleration isn't great but it'll happily hold higher speeds, and there aren't many ICE cars that can launch from a standstill like that thing! :laugh: 

12 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Never had an issue with the clutch on our Aygo - which includes swapping between the Hyundais and the Aygo ....

Are you saying you can't feel any difference between the two or just that you don't consider it a problem?

I don't think I've driven an i20, but I have an i10 and the clutch in that is *miles* nicer to use than the one in the Aygo... I eventually got used to the Aygo clutch but it's definitely the worst set up clutch I can recall of any manual car I've driven... I mean it works and is usable, it just isn't pleasant to use. I was always surprised they didn't just use the clutch mechanism from the Mk1 Yaris in the newer ones as it was much better and they already had the parts so it shouldn't have cost much more to do...!

6 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Are you saying you can't feel any difference between the two or just that you don't consider it a problem?

I don't find our Aygo has a high biting point (and neither did the one we test drove back in 2016) - I've always said this - and it doesn't cause us an issue when driving or swapping between cars. For us, the clutch is and always has been fine.

• Like 2

Ah yes you had said that before... It's weird, I do wonder why there's so much deviation in the clutch feel on them!

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

You'd have to drive one to see why some of us say that - I'm a die-hard manual person and would always pick a manual over an autobox given a chance, but with the Aygo I'd go with the CVT if it was an option as the clutch on that car is horrible (I'd still take the manual over the MMT tho' :laugh: ).

The problem is it bites right at the end of the pedal throw so it's really hard to tell if you're still at the biting point or if you've actually let go of the clutch, and coming from a Yaris that had a short clutch throw where the bite point was dead centre of the throw always, I really hated it. You get used to it after a while, but it's nowhere near as nice as the Yaris clutch, even with the same engine! I really don't know why Toyota still haven't fixed this...

Since Toyota have somehow made the only reliable CVT and it's not actually that bad, I'd much rather have that than deal with that high clutch on a day to day basis - I found it incredibly obnoxious in stop-start traffic on hills as it never felt like the clutch was fully engaged!

Whenever I see someone in a manual Aygo do a perfect hill start I have to give them a thumbs up!

High bite can see the point of auto now

Hi new to the site but I have just purchased an Aygo X limited edition, purchased the showroom one for my wife picked it up last week after part ex my 2017 Aygo exclusive 3, so far its a far nicer place to be than my previous Aygo, gearbox (manual) smoother gear changes, smoother ride, all the gadgets you could ever need, the new touch screen is very good quality compared to the previous, more boot space, I've not sat in the back yet so cant comment on that, the difference in drive is night and day, engine is quieter but still suffers from that loss of power feeling if you have aircon on and put your foot down feels like its missing, that's normal for this engine my previous was the same, pain in the **** but I can live with it.  the funroof as they call its is excellent on a warm day, all in all night and day difference for me between the old and new.

I also have a 2ltr Corolla sports touring now that's rapid and unbelievably economical for a 2ltr petrol.

• Like 4

Just wanted any new owner opinions on it please, especially any x MMT owners. Is it better than the previous Aygo. I'm probably going to purchase on Sat and can't be bothered with a manual, thanks all.

CVT is a vast improvement over the MMT the later x-shift are better but still have their quirks and issues

• Like 2