Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

About to buy Aygo-X. Are you satisfied? Any advice? Thanks

ZenBaller

Yes, the sales guy had to keep stopping himself saying X instead of Cross 🤣

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, flash22 said:

CVT is a vast improvement over the MMT the later x-shift are better but still have their quirks and issues

I've noticed that on some of the YouTube videos it likes to rev when presumably doing its version of kickdown which I understand is to be expected. I drive with a very light right foot in my 70 plate X-shift which I love but it has a habit of doing the same thing especially on hills. Is the CVT better or worse?  I'd like to hear from from anyone who has driven both, I really don't want to go back to a manual for the sort of drive I do daily.

Edited by phillev
Mistake
  • Like 1

Lowest common denominator - if you can't sign a document, you place you mark

but Cross doesn't make much sense if you think of the rest of the range - Yaris Cross, Corolla Cross - just a fat version of the original car

1 minute ago, phillev said:

I've noticed that on some of the YouTube videos it likes to rev when presumably doing its version of kickdown which I understand is to be expected. I drive with a very light right foot in my 70 plate X-shift which I love but it has a habit of doing the same thing especially on hills. Is the CVT better or worse?from anyone who has driven both.

it's what you are used too, the cvt does flog the engine a bit

4 minutes ago, flash22 said:

it's what you are used too, the cvt does flog the engine a bit

5 hours ago, flash22 said:

CVT is a vast improvement over the MMT the later x-shift are better but still have their quirks and issues

I'll give it a road test but I'm not sure I'll be happy if it's going to be doing that, I suppose CVT is cheaper hence it's popularity now.

6 hours ago, flash22 said:

but Cross doesn't make much sense if you think of the rest of the range - Yaris Cross, Corolla Cross - just a fat version of the original car

Well as someone who hates this trend of the SUV-ification of perfectly good normal cars, it does make me Cross!!

16 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Which is how Toyota refer to it ...

That works verbally but it is still confusing when it is written down.

I found confusion with companies I contacted re floor/boot mats who were adamant their product fitted the Aygo X 2022 not realising it was different to pre 2022 models. One can get quite cross about it!! 

On 8/11/2022 at 5:26 PM, Cyker said:

It's a trade-off I've noticed in my Mk4, as it has a lot more power and torque than the Aygo, but is also much much heavier so I have to remind myself to not throw it round corners the way I did in my older lighter cars!

It must be on 15" wheels you changed it to with 185mm tyres? On 205mm it will take the corners very well with MK4. That's the big reason I want the bigger tyres. 

Yeah, running 15"s - The 17"s wouldn't survive a month on the pothole ridden London roads I drive on!!

• Like 1

I get the ride is a lot harder with the slim profile of the tyres at 45 ratio. But I find my car on 15" scraping some of the higher humps. So with 17" should not scrape. Toyota need to take note, profile ratio for the tyres on 205mm should be at least 50, better on 55. 

Recently noticed a fiesta 2018 around my area which has 205/45/17, so a wild guess maybe Toyota took it from that. 

I drive in London too 🙁 though am looking to move within the next few years. 

• Like 1

15" or 17" the overall rolling radius stays the same, the rim gets bigger the tire gets smaller (sidewall) and vice versa within 5%

• Like 1

By the way I simply calculated it:

17" are 50mm higher than 15".

205/45/17 = 92.25mm

185/60/15 = 111mm

50mm - 18:75mm = 31.25mm higher than 15". 

Is my simple method wrong, that the maths is more complicated? Am open to be educated as my maths isn't very good. 

Yes, I believe you're wrong. Should be 18.75mm x 2 compared to the 50mm, therefore only 12.5mm difference. 

I'm surprised that the 18inch wheels have 60 profile tyres on the new Aygo X. 175/60 R18 on the higher spec models.

The sidewall is the percentage of the width, so 45% of 205mm but compensating for the width of the rim

Diameter difference is 5mm or <1% between the 2 sizes, giving you a 31% extra sidewall on the 15"

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

By the way I simply calculated it:

17" are 50mm higher than 15".

205/45/17 = 92.25mm

185/60/15 = 111mm

50mm - 18:75mm = 31.25mm higher than 15". 

Is my simple method wrong, that the maths is more complicated? Am open to be educated as my maths isn't very good. 

The tyre specs for the Mk4 are 205/45r17 and 185/65r15, so your maths is probably correct but your input figures are wrong - ratio should be 65 for the 15's, not 60.

I'm lazy and prefer to just plug numbers into this site:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

45 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The tyre specs for the Mk4 are 205/45r17 and 185/65r15, so your maths is probably correct but your input figures are wrong - ratio should be 65 for the 15's, not 60.

dia. is spot on <1% 23% difference on the side wall, 17" tires being 40-60% more expensive !!!

I just bought a 2022 AYGO x .. Absolutely love it.. Sort of recapturing my misspent youth.. 🤪

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

My current size is 185/60/15 so according to the calculator at MK4 17" will gain dia of 15mm. 16" MK4 will gain 18mm. Hopefully that will help with the humps. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vainona70 said:

I'm surprised that the 18inch wheels have 60 profile tyres on the new Aygo X. 175/60 R18 on the higher spec models.

Can't believe the Aygo has corolla excel size wheels! Crazy. 

• Haha 1

I only speed-read the thread so apologies if I’m stating something from earlier, but around 2014 we owned a low mileage tidy 2011 Auris 1.6 (can’t remember if it was a vvti or a valvematic tho) with an MMT automated manual gearbox.  I can confirm it is by far the worst engine/gearbox combo I have ever driven.  If the Aygo is the same then please DO NOT buy one, you’ll hate it.  

We also owned a 2012 Avensis 1.8 valvematic CVT auto around the same time and although it was really revvy, especially on hills at motorway speeds, it was a million times better to drive.

• Like 2

I have had a Toyota with a CVT automatic system. It was excellent. Very smooth. For a short time in between cars I hired  “normal” automatic and did not like it although I suppose you get used to. Put your foot down and there is thinking time before reaction time. I did not have that with the Toyota. 

When I went to change my CHR the Aygo Xross was my first choice. I had had an Xclusive 2 previously with the fun roof, leather and in the lovely metallic gunmetal. I changed it because my drive home is always up hill, steep and long. I felt sorry for the car at times, especially with both of us in there with the weekly shop. I felt more sorry for the semi professional cyclists that were looking to overtake me to keep their qualifying times up, or whatever it is they race around for.

I read every article, european launch review on Youtube and when I eventually got to see one in the flesh, I was a little disappointed if honest. Its a cool car, great size and I would have had the engine again, albeit with an auto. The colour trim on the dash made it feel a little too young for me inside and as much as I admire the safety kit, led lights etc they had fitted to it, the price difference compared to the Yaris wasnt sufficient to sway me.

When I finish with my Mazda Yaris I may be tempted back, but for now, its just edged out. 

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links