Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Third wheel bearing is broken, Aygo 2014

nielshm

My wifes Aygo with 65.000 miles on the clock has broken it's third wheel bearing. Are they really that bad or cheap made, so they just dont last?

I've done so many miles in my previous cars, but never had to replace wheel bearings.

I really thought that the gearbox was starting to wear down. It was a kind of screaming, high pitch grinding noise, so I really thought that a heavy bill was waiting.

Should be dead easy, not like you are changing the bearing, it's a hub/bearing assembly. Are you fitting cheap non genuine or decent/ genuine quality? 

• Like 2

Front or rear, never had an issue with SKF or Blueprint, there is a lot of Chinese junk on the market

• Like 2

All of them are front bearings. 

The first two to break down were the factory fitted bearings, so it's hard to blame the mechanic. 

We do a few but nothing particularly wrong with Aygo bearings 

Is there play in the suspension components of that side, also has it had the tracking done?

That'd be my first suspicion of a prematurely failing bearing

• Like 1

22 hours ago, nielshm said:

All of them are front bearings. 

The first two to break down were the factory fitted bearings, so it's hard to blame the mechanic. 

Front hub bearings on fwd car gets loaded by the axle nut and exact torque specs are crucial for proper wheel bearings operating and lifespan. 

Other factors that can significantly shorten the life of a car wheel bearings are driving through deep water, overloaded car, hitting a sharp potholes, going over kerb at speed, high speed cornering. 
If your replacement parts were real oem and fitted by Toyota technicians in main dealer you should be able to get some warranty help. If not you may want to try aftermarket this time and different garage. As Flash mentioned SKF or Blueprint are good choice. 👍

• Like 1