Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2009 Toyota Auris 1.33 Steering Wheel

Saffy24680

Hi there so I have a toyota auris 2009 which has this steering wheel seen in the first image, i was wondering if I could upgrade to the steering wheel found in the 2010 toyota auris as seen in the second picture, would i be able to use the volume controls? 

Thank you in advanced!

Screenshot_20220812-125259_eBay.thumb.jpg.e8cc3cf84aab24072ec775b122df6369.jpgScreenshot_20220812-125232_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7dee2bc4128d0a274bcf8995020e2daa.jpg

Hey my opinion may not be very experienced or totally on-topic here, but: If you think about it a steering wheel is a safety critical component of your car. I actually would not be quick to exchange the part with something else. Even if the wiring and mounting are compatible, there may an aspect of its design that isn't obvious, but relies on a difference in the particular car where it was installed.

Some random risks I can think up might be:

• angle that the SRS is designed to explode into
  • the wheel's crush strength may be matched with the crush strength of the steering column. With a mismatch the parts might cause more damage to the driver's body than intended in a collision

Of course I will be happy to hear the answers from people actually knowledgeable about the parts. My guess would be if there were a safety consideration, there would be some kind of "lawyer lip" incompatibility worked into the design to make it not fit.

It's the same cast alloy frame under the skin, the wheel will deform if it meets those sorts of stresses - 2010 is a cosmetic facelift

1st wheel is a bog-standard PU covered wheel, the 2nd one is leather

I have seen this conversion already but don’t know if all controls been working. 

2 hours ago, Douglasheld said:

Hey my opinion may not be very experienced or totally on-topic here, but: If you think about it a steering wheel is a safety critical component of your car. I actually would not be quick to exchange the part with something else. Even if the wiring and mounting are compatible, there may an aspect of its design that isn't obvious, but relies on a difference in the particular car where it was installed.

Some random risks I can think up might be:

• angle that the SRS is designed to explode into
  • the wheel's crush strength may be matched with the crush strength of the steering column. With a mismatch the parts might cause more damage to the driver's body than intended in a collision

Of course I will be happy to hear the answers from people actually knowledgeable about the parts. My guess would be if there were a safety consideration, there would be some kind of "lawyer lip" incompatibility worked into the design to make it not fit.

Hi there thanks for the reply, I understand what you mean, I dont really know much about it but you have made a good point, would love to see what others say about this! 

Thank you very much

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

It's the same cast alloy frame under the skin, the wheel will deform if it meets those sorts of stresses - 2010 is a cosmetic facelift

1st wheel is a bog-standard PU covered wheel, the 2nd one is leather

Do you know anything about putting the facelift steering wheel in a pre-facelift Auris with the audio controls working? 

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

I have seen this conversion already but don’t know if all controls been working. 

Hi, Thanks for reply, I think swapping the steering wheel is pretty simple but the controls maybe a bit more complicated unless it's just plug and play, than it's all simple to do, also wondering if it would trigger an airbag fault if swapped to the facelift steering wheel.

When you disconnect this it may just set off the airbag or at least inject a code into your system.

Be safe take it to a auto electrician.

It may require extra work and materials like radio & wiring harness not supporting functions.

If the car has audio controls already, it should be plug and play

no issues with the SRS system, just disconnect the Battery for 15 min before doing any work - i would double check the airbag plug fits before removing the wheel

The audio controls are resistive based, there are only 2-3 types, Auris to Auris i don't see any issues

• Like 1

12 hours ago, flash22 said:

If the car has audio controls already, it should be plug and play

no issues with the SRS system, just disconnect the battery for 15 min before doing any work - i would double check the airbag plug fits before removing the wheel

The audio controls are resistive based, there are only 2-3 types, Auris to Auris i don't see any issues

Thank you Flash for the reply, any possibility that anyone on the forum would have any knowledge about the airbag plugs being the same and has actually gotten this to work? I think it should be the same right as its just a facelift, changing the actual airbag module would mean having to change something in the ECU so to reduce costs they must have used the same airbag module but with just a different plastic cover? Am I right in thinking this or is my logic fatally flawed? 

Thanks in advanced!

Don't overthink it,

i was referring to the physical plug type

26 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Don't overthink it,

i was referring to the physical plug type

Oh right, thank you for your reply! Will have to look further into this and find out for sure if it is possible, problem with my current steering wheel is that it's leather is peeling off and also I think the thickness of thr steering wheel is thin so if I was to replace it, I'd rather get it replaced with a better OEM one that will actually work! 

Thank you all for your replies, anymore information on this would be really appreciated!

Personally I prefer upgrading the existing steering wheel. I don't remember how many years ago took the steering wheel to a professional that wrapped it in leather, he did a very good job so that it still looks great after such a long time.

gallery_83611_1219_94967.jpg

gallery_83611_1219_81522.jpg

gallery_83611_1219_28603 (1).jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tavy said:

Personally I prefer upgrading the existing steering wheel. I don't remember how many years ago took the steering wheel to a professional that wrapped it in leather, he did a very good job so that it still looks great after such a long time.

gallery_83611_1219_94967.jpg

gallery_83611_1219_81522.jpg

gallery_83611_1219_28603 (1).jpg

Looks better than original 👌👍

• Like 1

Thank you Tony; after these years I still like it very much, leather quality is better than original. 

• Like 1

Thank you Peter, that's right, even DIY leather cover is nice and durable, a stitched cover like this looks nice and feels great for many years...

IMG-20210225-WA0000~2.jpg

When I fitted it, the cover looks bright, but after an year it has the same colour as dashboard, even if I clean it regularly with leather cleaner. 

It's just "stretch" type with no stitching. The only reason it's there is to protect the original leather but more importantly the stitching which, I'm sure, is quite durable,but I don't want it to deteriorate/damage and start "unstitching"!

Sounds a bit daft I know, covering a leather wheel with a leather cover.:ph34r:

• 1 year later...
On 8/14/2022 at 3:22 PM, Saffy24680 said:

Oh right, thank you for your reply! Will have to look further into this and find out for sure if it is possible, problem with my current steering wheel is that it's leather is peeling off and also I think the thickness of thr steering wheel is thin so if I was to replace it, I'd rather get it replaced with a better OEM one that will actually work! 

Thank you all for your replies, anymore information on this would be really appreciated!

Did you manage to connect the steering wheel? Did everything work as it should?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links