Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Such a newbie

Viv En

I need advice!

I love my 2017 Toyota Aygo automatic which I acquired yesterday.

But... I need advice because I have managed to park it on my quite steep drive but because I have rheumatoid arthritis and I am in my 70's I cannot pull the hand break on as fully as I would want to

and although I left the car in gear I am frightened that the car might roll forward off my drive. What can I do please?

I am sure it will be fine but I really need some reassurance please.

It is good practice to leave the car in gear when parking on a slope, so you're doing the right thing. Presumably if the car is facing down a slope, you're leaving it in reverse?? One other thing you could do is to turn the steering wheel to reduce any amount of roll should the car roll forwards - which is doubtful this would happen if in gear anyway.

• Like 5

Advice as from frostyballs but might be worthwhile putting a brick in front of front wheels. When you have stopped the car on slope pull handbrake on as much as you can then check car cannot roll forward if not then put it in reverse for extra piece of mind but it is good practice to leave it in reverse facing downhill and first gear facing up hill.

• Like 2

I have arthritis as well so I do sympathise. I presume you have been able to pull it up high enough so it is holding, but if you struggle with your left hand you can always swap to the passenger side if you're stronger with your right hand? You can ensure its pulled up high enough.

• Like 1

You can get handbrake handles and extensions, you can also get electric handbrake conversions

The x-shift does not like being left in gear as it can confuse it - options, turn the wheels so it faces a curb or somewhere it will not cause chaos, wheel chocks on a rope

https://www.google.com/search?source=univ&tbm=isch&q=handbrake+extension+mobility

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, flash22 said:

The x-shift does not like being left in gear as it can confuse it

The owners handbook advises to use E, M or R when parking ......

• Like 3

4 hours ago, flash22 said:

The x-shift does not like being left in gear as it can confuse it

I still leave mine in gear

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links