Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gear problems Avensis T27

Clutchsweden

Hi there! I have gear problems with my avensis t27 from 2009. Manual gearbox. All of a sudden when i drove my car I was not able to make the gears engage and drive. The linkage seems fine but my question is if there is something missing in the painted red circle on picture 4? 

Regards from Sweden 😃
7ABE17F6-73FC-47F0-A0C7-2311C3F5088C.thumb.jpeg.895eb68b87937b82906c2ac7b8fd5cea.jpeg

E5D6F19B-AB4C-4237-9B32-F01F055DB116.thumb.jpeg.7eb4777f78d82a3e9d79f19ef1fbc600.jpeg

448C957C-D3C7-4BF1-8337-5DAD61E3EAAC.thumb.jpeg.cbe29e071627ca9f54a563e66f50ec28.jpegBFCF239B-38C1-4C12-84A8-7659CD5E04AD.thumb.jpeg.5a5925e996409c3e767a06340efaf4bd.jpeg

I checked my car which is the same as yours, and all good. Yours is a little more mucky, but everything is identical and nothing is missing. 

When you say the gears are not engaging, do you mean you select a gear, but the car does not move? That would indicated the clutch or drive shaft is broken. If you can't get the gear lever to lock into position - resistance, the hydraulics has failed. 

• Like 1

Hi Conrad!

Thank you for your time! 

I can select all the gears with the gear lever just as normal but the car does not move. I checked the drive shaft by hand and it’s good. That leaves the clutch I guess. 

With all the respect and without being rude I have to ask how you know all this? 😊

I think about the next step, maybe I should drain the gearbox oil and strain the oil or use a magnet to see if there are any metal in the oil.

11 hours ago, Clutchsweden said:

Hi Conrad!

Thank you for your time! 

I can select all the gears with the gear lever just as normal but the car does not move. I checked the drive shaft by hand and it’s good. That leaves the clutch I guess. 

With all the respect and without being rude I have to ask how you know all this? 😊

I think about the next step, maybe I should drain the gearbox oil and strain the oil or use a magnet to see if there are any metal in the oil.

Did You check both of drive shafts? Car doesn't move if one of them is broken. Gearbox oil change doesn't help at this situation. If gears engage and car doesn't move at all, then I highly doubt problem is with clutch. First You should check clutch/brake reservoir is there any fluid left.

16 hours ago, JiiN said:

Did You check both of drive shafts? Car doesn't move if one of them is broken. Gearbox oil change doesn't help at this situation. If gears engage and car doesn't move at all, then I highly doubt problem is with clutch. First You should check clutch/brake reservoir is there any fluid left.

All that checked before posting here =).

My thought was to drain the gear oil and strain it to see if there's any metal in it.

Does someone have the bullentin for removing the gearbox?

Lets say the clutch plates have failed, I would still be able to geat the gearbox into gear and drive I suppose?

On 8/12/2022 at 8:15 PM, Clutchsweden said:

Hi Conrad!

Thank you for your time! 

You are not being rude in asking. Experience and a bit of logic when understanding how the clutch and transmission works. 

If the gears can be selected with the engine idling, but the car does not move, then the drive shaft, input/output shaft in gearbox, differential or clutch has failed - not transmitting drive to the wheels.

If you can only select gears with engine off, then the clutch is not disengaging. Cause is hydraulic issue or failed clutch. 

To narrow down the cause, a proper examination and some tests can help locate the issue, and eliminate possible causes. Lift the front wheels off the ground safely and with the engine running, see if the wheels rotate (even in neutral). This will let you know if the drive is broken between engine and wheels. Try engaging the gears to see if the wheel spin at different speeds. If nothing happens, then it will be transmission out to check the clutch. I remember a friend who asked me to check why his Nissan Sunny had no drive, and there was a rumbling noise. It turns out he broke the differential (front wheel drive) doing a wheel spin or drag start. New gearbox time! Hopefully you are more fortunate.      

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the answers. 
After troubleshooting we found out its problably the clutch. Does someone havre the Toyota bullentin for changing the clutch? T27 2009. 

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I found the problem. The clutch was worn out. Is there a main seal i should  change while im at it? 

• Like 1