Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris MK2 1.4 D-4D Engine variants

Ziemniok

Hi everyone, so I just got my first car and it's a 09 Plate Yaris 5dr SR. I am trying to find out what the specs of the engine are because online sources seem contradictory. I can't work out if I have the 90hp 190NM version or the 205NM version? It has a 6 speed transmission and does not have a DPF. 

Also what are the differences between the 190NM and 205NM engines, does the latter just have more boost pressure to give that minor torque boost, or are some internals changed?

Toyota's Optimal Drive improvements were applied to the Yaris early 2009:

"The 1.4-litre D-4D common rail diesel engine has been comprehensively re-engineered. Equipped, as standard, with a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), the intercooled turbodiesel employs the very latest piezo-electric technology.
Benefting from an exceptionally high injection pressure of 160 MPa, the piezo-electric injectors can supply larger, more precise volumes of diesel at twice the speed of conventional fuel injectors. Because of their high operating speed, they can deliver multiple injections per combustion cycle, optimising the combustion process for responsive performance with low fuel consumption and reduced emissions.

The unit generates 66kW/90 DIN hp and maximum torque of 205 Nm at 1800-2800 rpm.

Also benefting from Toyota Optimal Drive technology, a new 6-speed transmission has been developed for the 1.33-litre Dual VVT-i and 1.4-litre D-4D engines."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ziemniok said:

does not have a DPF.

That's a bonus!:ph34r:

Rather interesting marketing spin from Toyota there Mike. They don't even give Dr. Diesel any respect by using lowercase for his name too.

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Because of their high operating speed, they can deliver multiple injections per combustion cycle,

What's that, on the intake and exhaust strokes too?:laugh:

8 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Toyota's Optimal Drive improvements were applied to the Yaris early 2009:

"The 1.4-litre D-4D common rail diesel engine has been comprehensively re-engineered. Equipped, as standard, with a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), the intercooled turbodiesel employs the very latest piezo-electric technology.
Benefting from an exceptionally high injection pressure of 160 MPa, the piezo-electric injectors can supply larger, more precise volumes of diesel at twice the speed of conventional fuel injectors. Because of their high operating speed, they can deliver multiple injections per combustion cycle, optimising the combustion process for responsive performance with low fuel consumption and reduced emissions.

The unit generates 66kW/90 DIN hp and maximum torque of 205 Nm at 1800-2800 rpm.

Also benefting from Toyota Optimal Drive technology, a new 6-speed transmission has been developed for the 1.33-litre Dual VVT-i and 1.4-litre D-4D engines."

Thanks, good to know there is some actual mechanical improvements.

• Like 1

That's kinda funny, I forgot you could get the diesel engine on the SR-spec car :laugh:  I always assume the SR is a 1.8 VVTi, but keep forgetting they added the 1.33 and 1.4D to it later...

That diesel engine is a very solid engine tho', esp. if you got a pre-DPF one. As long as you give it regular oil changes it will likely outlast the rest of the car!!

My Mk1 had the earlier version of the engine, only 74hp and 170Nm of torque, but it felt much more powerful and had a lot more pull than that 74hp would suggest! (Esp. when it got KHAAAAN!'d and I switched to a 100hp 1.33 Mk2... that was such a painfully disappointing step back in terms of real world performance!)

• Like 1

The DPF came in, 2008 but it may not be fitted to all diesels until late 2009 the 1.3 petrol and 1.4 diesel are French built, the 1.8 is Jap built

Yeah, 2009 was the transition year so the specs for Mk2s in that year were all over the place - That's why I managed to get one that had the 1NR-FE and 6-speed gearbox but still had the digital dashboard!!

AFAIK it's not possible to get that combination before or after 2009...!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links