Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MOT - Tyre

Nicksson

Hi all,

I'm due an MOT soon and slightly concerned that my Toyota might fail due to a rear tyre.

A few weeks ago, my wife drove with a deflated/punctured tyre home. I went to a tyre shop to repair it, but the sidewall is damaged beyond repair. It's not a big issue, but knowing that MOT can be exigent, I'm rather concerned now.

Do you think would could be a fail? Should I replace it?

Thank you

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 1

Presumably if the tyre shop said the sidewall was damaged beyond repair, surely it is safest, not just for you and your wife, but for others, to just replace the tyre !

• Like 3

I agree with FrostyBalls. Don't take any chances.

Running a tyre whilst flat inevitably leads to damage to the side wall from the wheels rims 

If you have been advised the tyre is beyond repair, just get it replaced.

• Like 2

If it's been driven flat the side wall has been compromised - what may cause a blow out - for piece of mind get it changed ASAP for the sake of £80 (£61 plus fitting for a Nexen N blue HD plus 205/55R16

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Presumably if the tyre shop said the sidewall was damaged beyond repair, surely it is safest, not just for you and your wife, but for others, to just replace the tyre !

Yes I agree it's a no brainer 👍

How much tread is left on the other tyre?

Flash recommended "£80 (£61 plus fitting for a Nexen N blue HD plus 205/55R16" for economy.  If the tread is low consider a pair.  You can always keep that 'good' worn tyre and use it as a spare in due course.

There are other options less expensive: Black Circle have a Waterfall Quatro at £47.16.  BTW, what is the cost of an MOT fail?  You can mentally discount the cost of the tyre against the cost and inconvenience of a retest. 

• Like 1

The MOT tester likely won't notice, but I'd also add the call to have it replaced ASAP - There can be a lot of hidden damage to the sidewall, esp. inside the tyre, when it's been driven on while actually flat. There are videos that show the rubber inside crumbling off as the sides are pinched together and grind against each other, that you can't see from the outside.

It's one of the arguments tyre places say for why you shouldn't plug a tyre yourself without having it inspected, and I'd tend to agree if the tyre has been driven on for a while (If it can be plugged almost immediately then it's probably fine to do so tho'.)

The Highways agency made me drive my dad's Verso on a flat tyre to get to a 'Smart' Motorway layby and the tyre was covered with V-shaped cuts and was literally smoking by the time I got there at 5mph!

• Like 2

Hmm, cars seem to go just fine with shredded tyres while being chased on police interceptors, especially with drug paraphernalia on the dashboard and the driver wearing a reversed baseball cap.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

How much tread is left on the other tyre?

Flash recommended "£80 (£61 plus fitting for a Nexen N blue HD plus 205/55R16" for economy.  If the tread is low consider a pair.  You can always keep that 'good' worn tyre and use it as a spare in due course.

There are other options less expensive: Black Circle have a Waterfall Quatro at £47.16.  BTW, what is the cost of an MOT fail?  You can mentally discount the cost of the tyre against the cost and inconvenience of a retest. 

I was just going by what was on the car in the pic - The side wall is well scrubbed

I am of the belief sidewall damage to any tyre and its written off.

On the same subject mushroom plugs are best for screw punctures but are not used on side wall repairs.

Not sure if other types a of tyre plugs are banned.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links