Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Space saver tyre?

Eddie G

Hi all, is there a space saver wheel available on a Mark 4 Yaris Design in the UK? never been a fan of the gunk bottle solution! 

• Like 1

Yes, it’s standard unless panoramic roof option is spec’d.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

New model 21 plate? was guessing it would come with tyre repair kit?, pick it up next wk 👍

Edited by Eddie G
Added information
  • Like 1

Mine did! I was expecting there to just be a big gap where a space-saver could have gone in, but to my pleasant surprise there was something actually there! :laugh: 

• Like 2

Can't remember the last time had a car with one? will kiss the space-saver when see it!!! 😁👍

• Haha 3

Space saver tyre on Yaris MK4 unless you go for one with a sunroof.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Space saver tyre on Yaris MK4 unless you go for one with a sunroof.

You would imagine that having a pan roof would have nothing to do with a spare wheel in the boot. Maybe I’m an old school motorist. I know which one I would choose if I had to make a choice.

• Like 4

Yeah it's one of those weird Toyotaisms - The reason (I'm told) is due to weight affecting the CO2 emissions so you can't have both (Yet they will put cast alloy 18" rims on a Yaris which greatly increases its CO2 and reduces its economy and performance...)

• Like 3

performance with 18" rims should be higher
or not ?

• Like 1

That's what we've been told all the time, but it's something I've always questioned as I don't see how it could possibly be true - Everyone will tell you unsprung weight is bad, and bigger rims will be heavier and have much more rotational inertia than a smaller rim (The mass is concentrated at the outside of the rim, and it's further away), which means acceleration and braking will need more effort so I just can't understand how they could possibly faster.

The only unarguable positives about having bigger rims is you can fit bigger brakes and it gives you more direct steering feel as there's less rubber sidewall to dampen steering inputs (This also makes it easier to break traction by sudden sharp steering inputs tho')

I know TyreReviews did some tests not that long ago and got fractionally faster results with the 1" bigger rims, but those were on a track and the rims also had wider tyres so it wasn't a totally fair test and I remain unconvinced as the physics don't work for me. My own experience going from 17"s to 15"s has given me slightly better mpg and acceleration feel on 15"s than I did on the 17"s, and I'm consistently getting higher mpgs than other Mk4 owners - Admittedly this may be down to the way I drive and the circumstances I drive in, but I can't help but feel at least part of this is due to the lower rotational mass of the 15s. (They're steel so the overall mass probably isn't that much less than the 17"s, but the mass is less concentrated at the edge and is closer to the hub so there should be less rotational inertia)

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Dala said:

performance with 18" rims should be higher
or not ?

Lower performance, slower acceleration,  heavier feel overall, harder ride, more noise/vibrations and higher fuel consumption, worse handling in wet and slippery conditions but nicer looking and this is what sells the car for todays car buyer standards 💁

• Like 4

The 18" rims on the Aygo X make it look like a Steamroller and surly it's not as good on the MPG which was one of the main points for going for a Aygo or Aygo X, but still good that they are still making small fun cars, then again a Ice Engine, manual gear box 4th gen Yaris would do the same and same size? and it would not cost much more but not available in the UK?

• Like 2

I have 17" rims
in the summer I get 76-80 MPG
in the winter I get 63 - 66 MPG
I calculate the consumption for the entire used tank (approx. 28 liters)
I do not count individual rides
there I have values of 60-217 MPG
It would be interesting to compare these values with 15" and 16" rims

23 hours ago, Eddie G said:

The 18" rims on the Aygo X make it look like a Steamroller and surly it's not as good on the MPG which was one of the main points for going for a Aygo or Aygo X, but still good that they are still making small fun cars, then again a Ice Engine, manual gear box 4th gen Yaris would do the same and same size? and it would not cost much more but not available in the UK?

Yeah I have no idea what the target audience of the Aygo range is now - The original Aygo's brief was that it was a cheap affordable reliable car which it filled perfectly, but that's gone out the window with them discontinuing the Aygo and only selling the more expensive SUV-afied blinged-up AygoX. The cost is so close to a Yaris that I would save a bit more and make the jump as the Yaris Mk4's drive-train is far far better than the AygoX's.

I think you can get a ICE-only manual Yaris in Ireland but only in the rock-bottom spec. I think it's cheaper than the AygoX too...?

MPG-wise, I'm getting mid/high-70's if I drive in my normal 'enthusiastic' manner :laugh:, and managed an 84 when I was trying to drive efficiently (Not always succeeding, that always-on-tap acceleration is hard to resist...!)

Last winter was low-70's; Would probably have been much worse if I'd left the heater on instead of resorting to wearing more layers! (The car really has trouble holding any engine heat in the winter! I do wonder if coolant is still being pumped around when it really shouldn't ...)

• Like 1

In the UK the cheapest Aygo X is £6,000 cheaper than the cheapest Yaris, which for some people will be too big a jump in costs.

In Ireland the cheapest Aygo X is €3,000 cheaper than the cheapest Yaris 1.0, and €9,000 cheaper than the cheapest Yaris hybrid. Again the difference in price will be too much for some.

Back to the topic subject please - space saver tyre.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links