Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

~2008 Corolla Verso with smart key.. What response (colour) on your start button?

RayOfLeamington

I'm struggling to get my car to wake up - I've lost keys and replaced with a set of ECU  & Key from breakers.

Question - for anyone helpful or curious!

1. First unlock the car and open the door,
  2. Then put the key a few metres away so the car can't read it..
  3. If you put your finger in the key slot (until it clicks like the key is in) and foot on the brake+clutch
  4. does anything happen with start button? (e.g. red light - it would be green if the key was good and brake pressed)
  5. Does anything happen if you press the start button?

I'd love to know if you get any colours back on the start button.

I'm wondering if my symptoms are "normal" when it doesn't read the any/correct key ID?

Mine seems dead.. despite my key being there, e.g. no accessory mode, nothing on dash (except door open warning if it's open) no colours at all on the start button.

The most I get are the ferrule lights for the key holder and start button.. so it appears they have power.

The key holder creates a door open warning with the key (buzzer from the clocks), but that happens if I push the key holder with my finger too.

I lost my keys, therefore replaced:

• Steering lock unit, door lock module, clocks, engine ECU, Body ECU, Start button, Smart key holder.. (not yet done the immobiliser ECU as I can't yet locate it 😬)
  • Door (manual) lock with matching manual key and fob matching the ECUs,

I know on my dad's 2005 Verso if you pushed the button without the key, it just didn't do anything (May have beeped and showed a message to put the key in but hard to remember!).

Must admit I never thought to stick my fingers in the slot and try it so can't help you there!

I wonder if the new ECU needs to somehow be 'paired' with the rest of the car??

9 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I wonder if the new ECU needs to somehow be 'paired' with the rest of the car??

All the pairing should be sorted by replacing the multiple ECUs and key with a matched set.. however I'm not sure if my issue is unrelated as the car was pulled apart before I got it back (recovery company tried to hotwire to remove the steering lock)

• Like 1

The Key is paired to the immobilizer and the ecu, keyless entry and start is not setup by default, if you put the key on top of the start button you should hear the steering lock press the start button to turn the car on if the key light on the dash flashes you need to count the flashes

• Steering lock unit, door lock module, clocks, engine ECU, Body ECU, Start button, Smart key holder.. (not yet done the immobiliser ECU as I can't yet locate it 😬)
  • Door (manual) lock with matching manual key and fob matching the ECUs

All you needed is what i have highlighted, it's just cost you money by shot gunning parts at it the VIN needs to be written to the ECU

iirc the immobilizer is buried in the dash behind the centre heater vents

you should be able to code a key with techstream and a suitable VCI if its diesel you will need one that does K-line like the VX nano

The Corolla Verso didn't have real keyless start - The car has a slot that you physically insert the whole block of the key fob into, and a light comes on (IIRC), then you can do the normal push button start (i.e. press Start button for Acc/PowerOn or press Brake+Start for ignition)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links