Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Switch from EV to ICE

Toejo

Hi, new Corolla and first hybrid owner here. I have a new GR sport 2.0. Is it normal for there to be a small judder when the engine starts from EV mode. Seems to happen 9/10 times but occasionally I get a smooth switch. Cars done 800 miles and has always happened since new. TIA

Hi Rob, in my RAV4 hybrid if I am driving slow on ev mode you can normally hear the engine kicking in, but no judder as such.

At higher speeds difficult sometimes to hear the engine kicking in, but no judder detected.

I am taking it with judder you mean vibration Rob ?

I have a 2.0 GR HB, if driving slow can hear engine kick in, not a judder though, if u are new to hybrid it’ll make weird noises sometimes but this is normal, at higher speeds don’t really feel it kick in, u will hear it rev if u accelerate hard

• Like 1

Thanks for both your replies, it's more than just the engine noise, you can feel the power sort of stutter then it picks up again, seems to happen more 40 mph or less.

I never feel anything and with music playing I don't hear anything either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I need to check the rev counter or mpg ribbon.   At first  it was spooky cruising at 65 on a flat road, engine off. I am a deaf and like Andrue says,  hear and feel nothing. 

I would conclude a trip to the garage and a demonstration drive is your best bet. 

• Like 1

I felt a very, very minor judder in my 1.8 HB when the ICE kicked in. Almost like a almost-smooth downshift in a manual car. This is less noticeable in my current 2.0 TS. Sometimes it's more pronounced, sometimes almost imperceptible. 

I always use 95 E10 fuel, and want to try 98 E5 next fill up. Curious whether it makes a difference to this EV-to-ICE switching , as well as fuel efficiency. 

• Like 2

Earlier this year I could feel the ICE kick in, something that I had not noticed in the past.  Then I realised that it was only since I had filled with Esso petrol.  Reverting to my normal Tesco 95 restored the smoothness.  Mostly I drive on a light throttle and never notice the engine cutting in and out.  I am a fan of both Tesco fuels, 95 and 99.  I have tried all fuel makes and supermarkets locally  and have to say that Tesco gives as good if not better smoothness and MPG as any of the big brands.

• Like 4

I should have said that I am not employed by Tesco, just stating my opinion based on my experience.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Trewithy said:

I should have said that I am not employed by Tesco, just stating my opinion based on my experience.

The problem with supporting one fuel over another is the lack of any given brand. 

My nearest fuel is a pair of BP stations half a mile away.  Tesco is about 14 miles away. 

Others, in terms of proximity out to 14 miles are: Gulf,  Esso,  Sainsbury,  ASDA and Shell.  

What I noticed last week was that the BP stations on the A1 were just 0.003 per litre more than ASDA. 

I agree that you have to buy locally from what is available.  Being able to do nearly 500 miles between refills is a great advantage.  Soon I will be away for a long weekend. As usual I will fil before I go and I will be home again before I have to refuel.

• Like 2

I try and do the same as I know my local prices tend to be lower.   Though my last trip south in July I found the Red House on the A43,  a Shell station that had changed from cheap to expensive a few years back was now less than my local.   I immediately topped up and did so on the return journey too.   A pleasant surprise. 

Toyota hybrids are interesting machines and very different from all other ice cars. Judder , vibrations, noises all of that are part of the whole hybrid experience. For the fuel quality I agree with others and what they had experienced and noticed. Tesco from all supermarkets is the best however from one garage to another there is always a difference in petrol quality for some reason, this applies to all other brands stations. I found best fuel that my engine is the smoothest and most responsive plus most efficient from local Tesco when using E5 99 and local BP E10 99, both almost exactly the same. And yes if petrol is poor quality the engine will start rough especially on the first start in the morning or after had been off for couple of hours and in certain speeds situations as op had experienced. Highly recommended to change petrol station and try 99 E5 fuel, Tesco , esso for example. I use around 100ltr per week and try to fill up from my two favourite garages mentioned above and the engine is running smooth and sweet 👌

Toyota hybrids engines can work different cycles and sound and behave differently each time even while in motion at higher speeds, sometimes the switch between ev and ice can be a bit jerky and felt through the cabin too 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Toejo said:

Hi, new Corolla and first hybrid owner here. I have a new GR sport 2.0. Is it normal for there to be a small judder when the engine starts from EV mode. Seems to happen 9/10 times but occasionally I get a smooth switch. Cars done 800 miles and has always happened since new. TIA

Yes, not just you, mine does the same, completely normal. A small judder is exactly what I'd describe it as too. Without looking at the dash you can generally tell when the engine has started and taken over some of the power.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, newda898 said:

Yes, not just you, mine does the same, completely normal. A small judder is exactly what I'd describe it as too. Without looking at the dash you can generally tell when the engine has started and taken over some of the power.

Try a different fuel as I stated above.  However, My Corolla is a 1.8 and both newda898 and the OP have the 2 litre engine so I wonder if the judder is a characteristic of that engine.

• Like 1

I have a 1.8 Corolla and, most times I am driving, I do not know whether I am using the ICE or Hybrid, without looking at the dash. I certainly do not get any sort of 'judder' unless, for what ever reason, I press the accelerator hard and then the change is hardly noticeable. Being in Ireland, I nearly always use 'Circle K' petrol, which I believe is the '95' version.

• Like 1

1.8 engine indeed is slightly smoother and quieter than the 2.0 hybrids. , perhaps this is the reason why they do come without engine or bonnet covers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, newda898 said:

I can't. I always know because I have the dash set to show the ECO gauge but there's no sensation or auditory signal.

And yes I fill up at Tesco. Thanks to Covid I'm working from home permanently and doing far, far fewer miles so I have no idea what price is. When you fill up once every couple of months it doesn't seem important 🙂

• Like 3

For my Yaris, the faster I'm going the less noticeable it is; When stationary it's very obnoxious and obvious the engine has started; As soon as I'm moving even 1mph the startup is a barely perceptible shudder, like starting a smooth modern petrol engine, and above say 5-10 it's not noticeable at all.

I do sometimes notice a slight 'kick' when it switches from ICE back to MG2 at medium to low speeds but it's not consistent.

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

1.8 engine indeed is slightly smoother and quieter than the 2.0 hybrids. , perhaps this is the reason why they do come without engine or bonnet covers. 

I’ve heard this before, but have to disagree. Having driven 1.8 for 9 months and now driving a 2.0 since June (over 3000 miles so far), I find 2.0 quieter and smoother than the 1.8. And my 1.8 did have bonnet cover, as well as my own additional sound deadening under the bonnet. 

• Like 3

The only time I get a judder occasionally in my 1.8 TS is when I have to put my foot down  at roundabouts to dash away. Silky smooth otherwise! 

• Like 2

On 8/15/2022 at 3:35 PM, PRus said:

The only time I get a judder occasionally in my 1.8 TS is when I have to put my foot down  at roundabouts to dash away. Silky smooth otherwise! 

I don't even get that when pulling away quick - it is extremely smooth.

I have not noticed any judder in the engine EV to ICE to EV at all.

In fact the only time you do feel something is first thing when you start up.  If the ICE kicks in and you go to pull away - mostly in reverse - it gives off a very slight noticeable engaging judder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tech429 said:

I don't even get that when pulling away quick - it is extremely smooth.

I have not noticed any judder in the engine EV to ICE to EV at all.

In fact the only time you do feel something is first thing when you start up.  If the ICE kicks in and you go to pull away - mostly in reverse - it gives off a very slight noticeable engaging judder.

Indeed, the ice kick in while reversing in ev it’s scary loud and worrying  😧😂 Another time when switching between ev and ice can be noticeable is when driving in high winds., then there is a greater air flow resistance from the car body and the drivetrain gets loaded similar to when accelerate faster.  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links