Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid MPG

PAISLEY1903

I have had my Rav4 Excel 21 plate since end September.

Sitting at 8600 miles, use it around 75% on motorway/ A roads and 25% in town.

Sitting at 50.4 mpg.

Just wondered how everyone else I doing.

This has mostly been on momentum however Asda was around 15p a litre cheaper than Tesco recently so I went for it and not noticed really any difference!

• Like 1

Mine is similar, averages around 48mpg, on mixed urban / dual carriageway driving, using mostly supermarket petrol.

• Like 1

Mine is similar, think my best is 57mpg.

Would love to see 60mpg 😀

Always use E5 petrol.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

Mine is similar, think my best is 57mpg.

Would love to see 60mpg 😀

Always use E5 petrol.

I've had 62 over a 70 mile run out and back, mixed roads and about 16 miles of motorway and keeping it below 65mph, warm conditions but not to hot to use the aircon and I was trying to keep the EV  Battery in use as much as possible.

My normal is around 53 mostly short journeys and as we now have only one car, the other half just tends to drive regardless. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That’s a great fuel consumption indeed 👍 

Tesco momentum it’s fine but other supermarkets cheap fuels E10 are no go for me. I always find a difference in performance and engine sound, perhaps engine does too and with cheap fuels these are never good. 👌

• Like 2

Mpg alone is a rough comparison as driving conditions and techniques will vary.   However the App also gives average speed,  journey duration,  EV time,  EV distance and drive score

I wonder how these stack up between different drivers. In July/August  for the month,  I clocked a driver score of 88, EV 54% of time and 39% of distance over 877 miles in 27 hrs driving. 

How does Mrs Roger's score compare with yours 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Mpg alone is a rough comparison as driving conditions and techniques will vary.   However the App also gives average speed,  journey duration,  EV time,  EV distance and drive score

I wonder how these stack up between different drivers. In July/August  for the month,  I clocked a driver score of 88, EV 54% of time and 39% of distance over 877 miles in 27 hrs driving. 

How does Mrs Roger's score compare with yours 😉

To be honest I don't use the app to make comparisons I make them from being in the car observing, I'm not saying I am always a better driver, I just do somethings differently, I do drive further ahead and not drive with the accelerator engaged approaching red lights but I do pull out into traffic that she wouldn't, so which is the better driver is down to a point of view but none of us are perfect.

Looking at your scores they seem pretty good. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

I have had my Rav4 Excel 21 plate since end September.

Sitting at 8600 miles, use it around 75% on motorway/ A roads and 25% in town.

Sitting at 50.4 mpg.

Just wondered how everyone else I doing.

This has mostly been on momentum however Asda was around 15p a litre cheaper than Tesco recently so I went for it and not noticed really any difference!

The M8 would keep your average speed down and economy up!! 🤪🤪🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I also have the Excel 2wd Hybrid, new in April 22 now 3300 miles. I have not reset the MPG thing since delivery, it has gone from 43 mpg at delivery to 44 mpg now. Mix of short and long trips. Started with Tesco E5 and now on Tesco E10.  I can't believe its so far below the expected range. Average driver score is 83%.

I have started doing fill to fill mileage recordings and will be resetting the MPG thing at the next fill just to see what happens. I don't have any faith in their app, too flaky. 

For all trips over 5 miles I use RadarCC  control which is great when it works but I'm having severe problems getting it to set and resume. I gave up on the lane tracking after 15 minutes as it was pulling to the left too much. 

So far it's a disappointment, seems to me Toyota's reputation is based on mechanical excellence and reliability not their software. 

Yeah, car companies are not so good as software companies, but frankly I prefer it this way around if Tesla is anything to go by!

Sadly consumer demand means the software side will only get more and more complex and probably failure prone...

The thing is, you don't *have* to use it - I denied all permissions for the remote gubbins for my car and I haven't missed it at all - One less thing to obsess over!

I have an Excel FWD HEV that I bought the end of October last year and, according to the display, is averaging 43.6mpg over 3k miles running on supermarket E10 petrol. I'm reasonably happy with this as most of this is on shortish journeys around town, on a run it gives between 50-60mpg, not as good as my previous 2L C-HR which gave up to 70mpg but not bad for a big old bus.

My Driver Score is 82, round town I use eco mode but do like giving it a bit of welly now and again.

I don't like using the lane assist and wasn't keen on the radar cc until a trip around Birmingham on a busy motorway showed its value.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ZZYGY said:

I also have the Excel 2wd Hybrid, new in April 22 now 3300 miles. I have not reset the MPG thing since delivery, it has gone from 43 mpg at delivery to 44 mpg now. Mix of short and long trips. Started with Tesco E5 and now on Tesco E10.  I can't believe its so far below the expected range. Average driver score is 83%.

I have started doing fill to fill mileage recordings and will be resetting the MPG thing at the next fill just to see what happens. I don't have any faith in their app, too flaky. 

For all trips over 5 miles I use RadarCC  control which is great when it works but I'm having severe problems getting it to set and resume. I gave up on the lane tracking after 15 minutes as it was pulling to the left too much. 

So far it's a disappointment, seems to me Toyota's reputation is based on mechanical excellence and reliability not their software. 

If you have a lot of uphill sections on your journeys it will kill your mpg, as far as the RadarCC is concerned if you break using the pedal while it’s on it will not resume, also watch out for the anti-collision setting, if its set lower than the RadarCC setting it may cut in before the RadarCC breaking, you can tell if this happens as the breaking is more aggressive.

• Like 1

I'm getting around 45 mpg - averaged over total mileage and all fuel used via brim-to-brim calculations. I'm sure that the car is capable of rather better but our journey profile is made up from many silly short journeys where the engine is spending half it's time warming up and a few long, well loaded and relatively fast motorway journeys. Either way, I'm very happy with that.

My average driver score over the last year is 88 - which is, of course' an average of myself and my wife - but that probably fairly reflects the more relaxed driving styles of retired folk.

Trip by trip statics are interesting and amusing but not that useful. Over short trips driving gently I can get a driver score well into the 90's and reported fuel consumption of little over 20 mpg - hills ...

Oh, and I nearly never use anything other than Normal mode and E10 - since that is what the engine is designed to use. 😉

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ZZYGY said:

Certainly I would have expected better mpg than that Norman, especially with a two wheel drive.

Try not using the cruise control, etc I I'm sure your right foot would give better mpg than the electronics 😃

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Roger_N said:

If you have a lot of uphill sections on your journeys it will kill your mpg,

Exactly.  If I go to the town to the north my mpg is 10 better than when I return home.  If I go south instead it is 10 better on return.  I guess you can deduce I like on a hill.  🙂

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

Try not using the cruise control, etc I I'm sure your right foot would give better mpg than the electronics 😃

My use of RCC tends to give better fuel economy than my wife's right foot ... 🙂

She's not comfortable with the cruise control in my car and prefers to drive 'manually' while I use the RCC whenever I reasonably can on longer motorway trips. Looking at trip by trip recorded consumption the car & I do better than she does - but there's not that much in it and we've never done a side by side comparison on the same road, at the same time, under the same conditions (obviously).

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

I think ACC does work well but to some extent it relies on the driver ahead driving well too.  If they make rapid brake and accelerations so your ACC will do the same.  It won't accelerate as harshly but can often be accelerating as the brake artist hits the brakes again.

If you are in heavy traffic with trucks doing 60 in lane 1 then that is ideal for ACC.  Good steady speed, minor corrections, and watch the cars in lane 2 doing their stop/go driving.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Roger_N said:

If you have a lot of uphill sections on your journeys it will kill your mpg, as far as the RadarCC is concerned if you break using the pedal while it’s on it will not resume, also watch out for the anti-collision setting, if its set lower than the RadarCC setting it may cut in before the RadarCC breaking, you can tell if this happens as the breaking is more aggressive.

Thanks for that Roger. My uphills = downhills as my routes are regular. I'll have a look at the RadarCC section of the manual again to figure out the anti collision function but there doesn't appear to be any pattern to the issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hybrid21 said:

Certainly I would have expected better mpg than that Norman, especially with a two wheel drive.

Thanks, but I use RadarCC to relax, as traffic flow on the A9 single carriageway sections is extremely variable. Maybe it's a price worth paying.

• Like 2

ZZYGY and at the risk of annoying the speedters you could also do as Toyota advise and knock 5 mph off the CC on the up bits.  😁

• Like 2

Using E10 it’s not a problem, the problem is that many petrol stations sells rubbish quality fuels that causes engine knocking, engine noise, poor fuel consumption and less responsive throttle. All that more pronounced with smaller and less powerful engines , but can also be felt with large cars, it will depend how much you know your vehicle. Highly recommended to change garages , fill up full and do fuel calculations full to full, reset dashboard readings, compare both results, try to notice from which garages the engine is smoother and the transition between ev and ice seamless. , stick with that fuel ( garage) for best consumption/ performance ratio. Correct Tyre pressure also can upset  the average consumption by 5-10mpg, wind, rough asphalt, hills , cold temperatures. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ZZYGY said:

Thanks for that Roger. My uphills = downhills as my routes are regular. I'll have a look at the RadarCC section of the manual again to figure out the anti collision function but there doesn't appear to be any pattern to the issue.

Down hills help but if you are accelerating hard(ish) to keep up with traffic you will never get what you used back.

There is a real time mpg usage in the centre of the MID the white angular indicator in the centre of the screen but this may not be displayed depending on the selection you have set the MID too.

• Like 2

Following on from Tony's advice,  avoid small village convenience filling stations,  go for high turnover filling stations. 

• Like 2

If it's not been reset then 44mpg isn't bad - The car will likely have had its average mpg dragged well down before delivery, from being sat still with the engine running for ages, and it will take a while for your efficient driving to get it back up to it's 'real' level.

Even during a service my Mk4 usually looses 5-7mpg from when I give it to them to when I get it back, and it's literally because they just leave it Ready mode in the service bay for almost the whole 6-odd hours they have it so the engine is constantly cycling on. I probably forgot to turn the AC off too which would make it worse... :oops: 

Another MPG tip is try not to go into the PWR area, especially if you have a Dynamic Force engine. If you stay in Eco it tries to use MG2, and in Eco+ it uses the ICE but in Miller/Atkinson mode and tries to stay around its most efficient RPM (About 2000rpm in mine apparently!), and if you can accelerate/keep up with traffic by staying in that mode it uses a lot less fuel. As soon as you go into the PWR zone, the revs quickly shoot up and, on the DF engines, they switch from the highly efficient but quite gutless Miller/Atkinson mode into full ice-cap melting Otto-cycle mode and fuel efficiency gets thrown out the window in favour of *clarkson voice* POWERRRRR! :laugh: 

(It does feel really nice tho' :naughty:  :laugh: )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, ColinB said:

I have an Excel FWD HEV that I bought the end of October last year and, according to the display, is averaging 43.6mpg over 3k miles running on supermarket E10 petrol. I'm reasonably happy with this as most of this is on shortish journeys around town, on a run it gives between 50-60mpg, not as good as my previous 2L C-HR which gave up to 70mpg but not bad for a big old bus.

My Driver Score is 82, round town I use eco mode but do like giving it a bit of welly now and again.

I don't like using the lane assist and wasn't keen on the radar cc until a trip around Birmingham on a busy motorway showed its value.

Hi Colin, again I would have expected more mpg from a fwd.