Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New member with JDM Carina in the US

MitchClark

I know this forum is more for the EDM Carina but I am hoping to see if anybody has any info on my JDM Carina (not the E version). It is a 96 AT191 GXi (MyRoad) and it has the infamous 7AFE lean burn in it that I have been trying to learn more about because its not the typical sort of unit that I am used to seeing. Here lately I discovered that I when I ran 87 Octane (dont forget I am in the US) its got a pretty gnarly skip when in lean burn mode and hardly any power. After installed 93 in it, I was able to get most of the hesitation to go away but not all. It does great as long as it isn't in lean burn mode. From what I gathered on other pages, it is supposed to run with the Japanese version of regular. All that has been done to it so far is the recommended Iridium spark plugs for it. I have read all the articles about this engine but none seem to really give me any real life info. I did notice the EDM guys talk about this dual coil system and my car definitely doesnt have that but its for sure a lean burn. It looks like it has a normal regular burn 7AFE distributor on it with internal coil. Were the JDM versions different? If anybody can give me a good run down of what to do and what not to do for these engines, I am all ears. 

Also I know that nobody may not have the answer to this question, but would Celica struts fit the front? We didn't get the Carina here and there are coilover sets that are AT191 specific that are over $1000 but I can get a Celica set for about 3-400 and its supposedly the same chassis. Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

The 4AGE, to which the 7AFE is related, did have an ECU setting that could be altered for low octane fuel. As far as I know it just retarded ignition slightly. Maybe the 7AFE ECU has this too?

I'd suggest you also trawl through Facebook groups to find the right expertise.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links