Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying Yaris Hybrid 204-2017 shape - what is realistic mpg on full tank and how much should I pay?

Bruce Lea

Buying Yaris Hybrid 204-2017 shape - what is realistic mpg on full tank and how much should I pay?

I have seen 2014-2017 shape go upto £13k which is far too expensive for that size of car.

Can you change the lights to LED on the 2014-2017 as the normal lights are not good enough

Depends partly what type of driving you do - urban, rural, mixture of motorway/A roads etc. Perhaps more of a clue would be helpful.

The Honest John Real mpg page for the Yaris gives an average of 57mpg.

Used car prices have been affected by the supply shortage of new cars due to the semiconductor and parts shortages, Covid, Ukraine effects, etc. Which means that buyers,who were originally goibg for new cars, aren't willing to wait the extended dekivery times, are goinv for used csrs instead, pushing up demand and resulting in increased used car prices. Same for all makes and types of cars.

Fitting LED bulbs into headlight units designed for halogen bulbs, will be an MOT fail from March 2021.

• Like 1

The Mk3s did better in a mix of medium/low-speed A-roads and urban driving, and tend to be around mid-50's/60's, although I've seen people get them up to 70's but it's much harder to get that regularly than the newer one.

I'm not sure if the Mk3 had LED headlights as a factory option in later models - If it did it might be possible to swap the headlamps, but you literally have to change the whole lamp as the LED units don't have bulbs or even the same kind of socket for them.

As for price, yeah, the used car market has been ridiculous for a while now due to a lot of factors (covid/chip shortage/ukraine war take your pick...!), and hybrids have gone up in particular thanks in part to KHAAAAN! and his London ULEZ extension making Londoners dump their diesels and vacuum up hybrids from across the country as they're the only thing with similar fuel economy.

It just isn't a good time to get a car right now - Used prices are just crazy and new you have to wait months to maybe a year...

• Like 1

Driving will be mostly local city driving 70% and 30% driving on dual carriageway motorways etc.

I have seen a 2016 shape Yaris 45k with the 2014-2017 rear brake lights which I prefer over the 2017-2020 rear headlights for £13k this is too much for a Yaris. Wouldn’t this car be £8k-9k before the price increase?

£13k on a Yaris, too much what is realistic price?

What about Aygo would that give Hybrid like mpg? It’s cheaper

As others mentioned its a bad time to buy a used car especially. Prices for cars, hybrid cars are up never seen before. 

To give you some perspective, my 2016 Yaris icon is going for about £1500 more than when I purchased it 4 years ago. 

Normally I don't buy new but I'm looking to buy a new Yaris excel next, as used 1 yr old is about the same price as new. Just the long wait and some tech items cannot be order atm. 

Mk3 doesnt have the option with factory fit led unit. 

Aygo I have heard it's pretty decent mpg, but not to the level of a hybrid. Look at the Aygo forum to see what owners are getting for mpg. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bruce Lea said:

The used car market has been in turmoil for about 18 months now for reasons explained earlier. What is realistic for you may not represent what is realistic in the current market. Shop around.

As regards the Aygo, you're looking at a city car which is smaller than the Yaris and only available as a petrol. Whilst good economy can be achieved, it may not match the Yaris in terms of economy.

• Like 1

Things like the Aygo, Up, i10 etc. are a good shout if you don't mind the smaller size and engine, but even those are creeping up a bit, although nowhere near as much as hybrids - When I was looking at Mk3s before all this craziness started you could get a decent one for maybe 7-8k??

People like catlover who traded in their hybrids for small A-segment cars really picked the best time to do so!!

6 hours ago, Bruce Lea said:

The (monetary) value of anything, be it car, steak, TV, is how much someone will pay for it. You are competing with them.

As others have said, at present there are a lot of someones who will pay high prices for used cars. Some are paying more than the price for a new one. So 13k for your desired vehicle could well be realistic just now. If you can wait a year they may be cheaper. (I wouldn't bet on it, but if the predicted inflation and belt tightening happens then demand for cars should drop and prices might follow.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

As others mentioned its a bad time to buy a used car especially. Prices for cars, hybrid cars are up never seen before. 

To give you some perspective, my 2016 Yaris icon is going for about £1500 more than when I purchased it 4 years ago. 

Normally I don't buy new but I'm looking to buy a new Yaris excel next, as used 1 yr old is about the same price as new. Just the long wait and some tech items cannot be order atm. 

Mk3 doesnt have the option with factory fit led unit. 

Aygo I have heard it's pretty decent mpg, but not to the level of a hybrid. Look at the Aygo forum to see what owners are getting for mpg. 

How much did you pay for your yards?

Prices are silly atm for yaris hybrids

From your knowledge what should a 2016 yards hybrid with 33k miles realistically be worth before the price increase now being seen, which are ridiculous 

11 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

The (monetary) value of anything, be it car, steak, TV, is how much someone will pay for it. You are competing with them.

As others have said, at present there are a lot of someones who will pay high prices for used cars. Some are paying more than the price for a new one. So 13k for your desired vehicle could well be realistic just now. If you can wait a year they may be cheaper. (I wouldn't bet on it, but if the predicted inflation and belt tightening happens then demand for cars should drop and prices might follow.)

When 🇬🇧 regime announce recession depression buying a used car will be last thing on people's minds. Interest rates will go up more, fuel costs will rise, load shedding so garages are going to suffer because sheeple won't be buying

16 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

The problem is people are idiots - It's like the paper towels/toilet roll thing when everyone suddenly decided they needed 20 years worth of paper towels and bog roll and would literally pay scalpers 5-10x what they were worth.

There was an article about an aussie supermarket that refused to refund a scalper when they tried to return all of the stuff they'd been unable to sell on after their online store got shut down - That was some satisfying karma payback to read about :laugh: 

The best thing to do is don't be one of those idiots, if circumstances allow, and wait it out until things are less stupid.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Things like the Aygo, Up, i10 etc. are a good shout if you don't mind the smaller size and engine, but even those are creeping up a bit, although nowhere near as much as hybrids - When I was looking at Mk3s before all this craziness started you could get a decent one for maybe 7-8k??

People like catlover who traded in their hybrids for small A-segment cars really picked the best time to do so!!

Catlover? Is their a thread?

Yes 7-8k pushing 9k tops could get a decent yaris hybrid it's stupid people paying upto 16k for 2016 yaris hybrid

Love the aygo looks funky compared to yards from side profile and got led lights

They did post a thread about it - They had a prius and sold it and got an Up! instead. Must have made a tidy sum from that at todays prices!! :laugh: 

Don't ask me for the thread, I always have trouble finding old threads. I'm sure someone else will link it soon enough :laugh: 

35 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The problem is people are idiots - It's like the paper towels/toilet roll thing when everyone suddenly decided they needed 20 years worth of paper towels and bog roll and would literally pay scalpers 5-10x what they were worth.

There was an article about an aussie supermarket that refused to refund a scalper when they tried to return all of the stuff they'd been unable to sell on after their online store got shut down - That was some satisfying karma payback to read about :laugh: 

The best thing to do is don't be one of those idiots, if circumstances allow, and wait it out until things are less stupid.

Love the karma payback Aussie style 😆

Yes there has been a lot of madness and greed in the past couple of years, and panic, creating the very shortages that they are panicking about.

Even without covid and the terrible situation in the Ukraine,in the past there has always been mostly media fuelled panic buying at various times.

Coffee, olive oil, potatoes, petrol,you name it.

The older members here may remember the great sugar shortage in 1972/3, can't remember the why ,nonsensical when we grow sugar beet.

I was working away in Peterborough at the time, and remember buying half pound blue paper bags of sugar to take home at the weekend for my mum and dad.

You got offered them in pubs and lay byes as though it was grade 'A' finest Columbian marching powder.

I quite agree with your waiting it out advice, every single panic, shortage and looming apocalypse has sorted itself out eventually.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bruce Lea said:

How much did you pay for your yards?

Prices are silly atm for yaris hybrids

From your knowledge what should a 2016 yards hybrid with 33k miles realistically be worth before the price increase now being seen, which are ridiculous 

Got mine for 9.5k, in the 3 months before this the garage had it for 10.5k. When it dropped to 9.5k I took the train to Worcester to get it. 28k mileage then. 

If things were 'normal', pre pandemic and Ukraine war + inflation etc, I think my car now at 48k miles would probably be worth about 6.5-7k. So I need to sort of take advantage of it and get a new car before it go down to more normal price. Like for like I think new car price increased lower than used hybrid. 

Feel sorry for you having to get a hybrid now, if without a current car to trade in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

They had a prius and sold it and got an Up! instead.

Catlover sold the Prius and Auris (wife's) and bought two Skoda Citigos - sister car to the Up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Lea said:

When 🇬🇧 regime announce recession depression buying a used car will be last thing on people's minds. Interest rates will go up more, fuel costs will rise, load shedding so garages are going to suffer because sheeple won't be buying

Yes, that's the hypothesis.

But like I said, I wouldn't bet on it. You have to bear in mind that the people who will really get hit by recession/inflation are mostly not the ones hoovering up good used cars. The moderately better off will still be shopping, but instead of a new car, even if available, they might go for a good used. Eventually there should be a glut of new cars and once those start being shifted at bargain prices used prices should drop too.

But that could be in 6 months or a few years. i-dunno-hand-gesture-smiley-emoticon.gif.d04599de22a98b25918544bebe182a95.gif

• Like 1

Nearly brand new yaris hybrid going for £20k https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?advertising-location=at_cars&fuel-type=Petrol Hybrid&include-delivery-option=on&make=Toyota&model=Yaris&page=7&postcode=Bd23dl&sort=price-asc&year-from=2014

But older used hybrids are selling for close to price of car above, look below 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202208168840562?advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2014&postcode=Bd23dl&model=Yaris&sort=price-asc&page=13&make=Toyota&fuel-type=Petrol Hybrid&include-delivery-option=on&percentVehiclePriceDeposit=true

This proves brand new or nearly new car prices are dropping and they will drop heavy when western governments go into recession. Sheeple won't be buy no cars they'll be struggling to pay fuel bills.

Used prices are very strong

MPG depends on the engine and gearbox - A new yaris with a decent spec is in the mid £20k range, it's in the higher end of the segment's price range

If you want an auto forget the Aygo the x-shift is not great if It's had a few owners in a short span of time that would point to potential problems, also the Yaris is a way better built car and is also 5* ncap rated

If you want cheap with a headache buy a ford or PSA car

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, flash22 said:

buy a ford or PSA car

But those are 'sheeple' cars 🙂

• Haha 3

2014-2017 Yaris what is the full tank range? I was told it could do close to 900miles on full tank?

I feel that is somewhat optimistic...

For comparison

My 70-80mpg Mk4 hybrid can do just over 500 miles on its 30-and-a-bit litre tank

My 64mpg Mk1 D4D could normally do about 600 miles on its 40-and-a-bit litre tank, although I once managed to get it to 800 miles thanks to a load of airport runs and masses of 50mph road works. (!)

My 50-ish mpg Mk2 VVTi could do about 400 miles on its 40-and-a-bit litre tank.

I think the Mk3 has a 40-something litre tank so would guesstimate it's good for about 500-600 miles as it had better urban mpg but worse motorway mpg than my old D4D.

The mk3 and 4 have the same size tank of 36L. MK4 has better fuel economy, stated above of 70-80 is fab. 

Just take a general figure of 60mpg for MK3 so about 475 miles. I never really bother about full tank range on mine as it can get to most places in the UK without a fuel pit stop. 

But I cannot wait to get the MK4 with much improved fuel economy and so many things to list over my MK3.

• Like 1

Ah thanks for the correction - I do lack a lot of knowledge on the Mk3 as that's the only one I haven't owned! :laugh: