Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2022 HILUX Issues

CJL HILUX

Hi,

I have owned 7 Hilux's in over 30 years and have loved them all and wouldn't dream of driving any other make, 5 were second hand and the last 2 brand new. The latest one is a 2022 Invincible x 2.8 manual which I picked up at the end of March and has just over 4000 miles to date. Around 2 months ago I started to notice a "flat spot" between tickover and 1600 rpm, it feels like I am towing something really heavy and has a sort of pulsing, I also notice it on steep hills where I back off towards the top and it feels like I've hit the brakes. If it was an old petrol engine with a carburetor I would say the pilot jet was blocked. As soon as I pass 1600 rpm she flies. I took it in to my dealership and they came for a test drive and then put it on diagnostics and said all was fine and I should knock it down a gear or 2 and rev it harder! I said I have owned 7 of them and never experienced anything as gutless at low revs as this one. I was hoping this 2.8 would have loads of torque and not need reving hard especially with the price of fuel. My last truck was a 2016 and I still owned it until recently and when I occasionally took it out my 1st reaction was !Removed! HELL this is lively when pulling away. The mechanic suggested a possible blocked fuel filter but didn't offer to change it. I do remember some of my older trucks feeling like they had a new lease of life when a new filter was fitted. I always fuel up at busy filling stations but could possibly have picked up some dirty diesel?

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

ps. When I 1st lifted my Wiper Blades to clean the windscreen I found a 3inch windscreen repair in the centre like so many others have pointed out, when I showed it to the salesman and mechanic they said, "don't know anything about that"

Chris

• Sad 1

Maybe your lack of power is down to turbo lag.

I woodent expect replacing a fuel filter at just 4000 miles

If its a fuel filter your power will die when reving it hard going up a hill.

It cut out and after a minute or two it will restart without showing any error codes.

• Like 1

Many thanks Derek, 

I was describing it to a friend a few weeks ago and his granddaughters vw golf (I think) had turbo lag, took the garage ages to work out the problem and it did sound very similar to mine. 

• 11 months later...

That "flat spot" issue you're describing sounds really annoying, and I can't believe the dealership wasn't more helpful. I had a somewhat similar hiccup with my own Hilux, but a fuel filter change did the trick.

On 8/10/2023 at 6:01 PM, tedgillispie said:

That "flat spot" issue you're describing sounds really annoying, and I can't believe the dealership wasn't more helpful. I had a somewhat similar hiccup with my own Hilux, but a fuel filter change did the trick.

Can't help but share this with you

I recently installed the 3" Lift kit Hilux N80 on my 4x4. Man, it made my rig an unstoppable offroad machine with its new 3-way damping adjustment system. It's more comfortable too.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links