Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis sound near serpentine belt

Tpex

One day right after when I started my avensis t25 loud noise came from engine bay. https://streamable.com/xstaqn After few minutes of idling and a bit of reving the sound got a lot quieter but I can still hear it. https://streamable.com/0421ix It sounds like it's coming from steering pump or something near it, but the pump pulley looks fine it doesn't move at all. I tried to pour some water in the belt, that didn't help. What could it be?

Does it change when you put the aircon on? Sounds like the Aircon pump clutch mechanism. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 1:21 PM, Tpex said:

One day right after when I started my avensis t25 loud noise came from engine bay. https://streamable.com/xstaqn After few minutes of idling and a bit of reving the sound got a lot quieter but I can still hear it. https://streamable.com/0421ix It sounds like it's coming from steering pump or something near it, but the pump pulley looks fine it doesn't move at all. I tried to pour some water in the belt, that didn't help. What could it be?

If AC pump is gone better just buypass it with a genuine Toyota belt shorter one that's what alot of people do .far cheaper but if u want AC I'm guessing u have 2 pay for a new AC pump .

• Like 2

I'm not advising you to do this because it is dangerous but, I use a length of rubber hose as a stethoscope to find the kind of noise you are experiencing. 

Only when you know where it is coming from can you think about replacing the noisy part.

The other thing you can do is, let it develop. 

• Like 2

Okay, so I tried to turn on/off ac but the sound didn't change. I noticed that the acc cluch wasn't spinning when ac was on. Then i tried to spin clutch with my hand with engine off and it spins like one rotation before getting stuck and then I have to push harder to make it spin. So I guess the problem could be with acc clutch, but since I don't use ac is it safe to drive with it?

I looked up that acc clutch probably isn't spinning because there is no refrigerant. Then I don't know maybe it's acc bearing?

Are you getting any cold air from the air con?

No, I just don't use ac and I have never refilled refrigerant

Ok. If you are happy taking the power steering belt off then do so then start it. If the noise has gone then you know the problem is to do with the power steering or ac. As you do not use the ac you may as well get the belt for a non ac car when you are at it. It will give you slightly (very slightly) more mpg and useable bhp/torque as spinning that pully takes a bit of power.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tpex said:

No, I just don't use ac and I have never refilled refrigerant

Try using the air con and report back whether or not it is working. 

1 hour ago, Crustyoldavensis said:

Ok. If you are happy taking the power steering belt off then do so then start it. If the noise has gone then you know the problem is to do with the power steering or ac. As you do not use the ac you may as well get the belt for a non ac car when you are at it. It will give you slightly (very slightly) more mpg and useable bhp/torque as spinning that pully takes a bit of power.

Plus when getting a new shorter belt get a genuine Toyota one as I heard a few putting those off brand belts making anoying squeek a taxi guy told me he couldn't figure what making the noise and went away when he put in a genuine Toyota belt shorter one bypassing the AC pump 

There is absolutely no reason to replace the serpentne belt with a shorter one unless the compressor is seized or has fell to pieces.

There will be no noticeable or measureable gain in fuel economy or performance.

That is why I asked you to check to see if the air con works.

On 8/26/2022 at 12:47 PM, Tpex said:

Then i tried to spin clutch with my hand with engine off and it spins like one rotation before getting stuck

It's not getting stuck, that's the point where it is starting to compress gas.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 7:28 PM, Stivino said:

There is absolutely no reason to replace the serpentne belt with a shorter one unless the compressor is seized or has fell to pieces.

There will be no noticeable or measureable gain in fuel economy or performance.

That is why I asked you to check to see if the air con works.

It's not getting stuck, that's the point where it is starting to compress gas.

Shouldn't it spin freely since the clutch is not engaged?

When I press ac button I don't notice any change, it doesnt blow cold air, no aditional sounds. But ac never worked I bought the car like that. However I never heard that loud sound in first video, but I have heard the quieter jingling noise for atleast a year I think.

The outer part should spin freely, but you won't be able to test that with the belt on.

The inner part is a switch operated electric clutch which shouldn't spin freely because it is a pump (Compressor).

If you can get the help of another person, you can watch to see whether or not the clutch engages and disengages when the A/C is switched on and off.

If you mean outer part like this https://ibb.co/RbZPjHM (not my photo) I tried to spin it with my hand on this other car Peugeot with working ac, belt on, engine off and it spins freely without getting stuck. As I said earlier, I did the same thing on Toyota and it gets stuck every rotation. Then we looked as I was pressing ac button the outer part didn't move at all. But I found some information that apparently if refrigerant charge is low, the switch cuts power to the clutch, so It might just be that?

5 minutes ago, Tpex said:

if refrigerant charge is low, the switch cuts power to the clutch

That's sort of correct.

There is a pressure sensor and. if the system is low on gas the sensor will know and won't allow the compressor to work.

1 hour ago, Stivino said:

That's sort of correct.

There is a pressure sensor and. if the system is low on gas the sensor will know and won't allow the compressor to work.

I will try to jump it if I can find it