Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 buyin advice

Muzzer1

Hi im looking for a reliable decent car, do around 17000 miles per year.

ive seen a 67 plate rav4 icon 2.0 diesel 44k mile, just wondering if this is  a good reliable car as would want to last me 5-7 years

cheers

On 8/18/2022 at 9:50 AM, Muzzer1 said:

Hi im looking for a reliable decent car, do around 17000 miles per year.

ive seen a 67 plate rav4 icon 2.0 diesel 44k mile, just wondering if this is  a good reliable car as would want to last me 5-7 years

cheers

Yes Sean. It is a good and reliable vehicle that will easily last 15-17 years and 200,000 miles.

• Like 1

Nobody can predict what a used car will be like in the future but personally I would have serious reservations about buying any diesel rav4 as a long term keeper. Just trawl through this forum and it’s littered with people having problems with diesel versions. I recognise that forums tend to attract comments from people who have issues and there may be many people who don’t have trouble but the list of people who have DPF/EGR/white smoke problems is a long one. If you want a RAV4 I would consider a petrol version as they appear to be a much better bet as a long term prospect.

• Like 2

A "a 67 plate rav4 icon 2.0 diesel" would be powered by the 2WW engine that Toyota derived from the BMW N47 engine - so it won't suffer from the 'popular' issues of the earlier Toyota 2AD engine but doesn't mean that it will be without issues of it's own.

If the car is correctly serviced at a Toyota dealer each year it will benefit from the Toyota Relax warranty. This provides an effective 10 year warranty. So a 2017 car would remain under warranty until 2027 which should provide a degree of comfort.

• Like 3

As long a it gets regular oil changes should be okay, but I'd only get a diesel if the vast majority of your journeys are motorway or fast A-road.

If it will be used for a lot of town crawling you're just asking for DPF and DMF issues, and also with the war on diesel it'll probably attract a daily 'charge' (i.e. a fine) from most city centres. At the moment Euro6 engines are exempt, but I bet that won't last long, and Euro6 diesels are the least reliable diesels due to all the DPF and adblue and all sorts of emissions control junk bolted onto them.

• Like 1

Actually any Toyota diesel it’s not a wise choice currently, first because of the diesel general emissions thing and secondly because diesels are not the best Toyota engines. If you buy a Toyota it should be a hybrid and if you about to buy a hybrid it should be a Toyota. 👍

• Like 1

Yeah, especially since all 'Toyota' diesel engines going forward will likely be BMW ones! (I never understood why Toyota, the manufacturer with the best reputation for reliability, would team up with BMW, the manufacturer with the worst reputation for reliability out of all the germans! :laugh: )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Actually any Toyota diesel it’s not a wise choice currently, first because of the diesel general emissions thing and secondly because diesels are not the best Toyota engines. If you buy a Toyota it should be a hybrid and if you about to buy a hybrid it should be a Toyota. 👍

Totally agree Tony 👍

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links